• db1331 - January 22, 2014 2 p.m.

The 38 studios one is really baffling. And Kingdoms of Amular is STILL $30 on Steam. That's the same price as Skyrim, which has seen multiple sale prices of around $10.
  • The_Tingler - January 22, 2014 4:26 p.m.

It's been on sale about ONCE since it came on Steam, and never in a big holiday sale. And I was waiting for a sale to pick up the DLC, which I wanted, but they didn't even reduce it enough to make me buy it (not even 30% off). Utter nonsense. As for the loan, 38 Studios were stupid to accept it. They rushed into it without doing the math about how many copies they'd have to sell to make it back, and they paid for it hard. For an original RPG with a stupid name released just a few months after Skyrim it did really well, but nowhere near enough to pay the loan.
  • brickman409 - January 22, 2014 9:46 p.m.

Do PC gamers ever buy games at full price? haha, Out of the 30 something games in my Steam library, I don't think I've ever bought one that wasn't on sale.
  • Fireborn - January 22, 2014 11:45 p.m.

Yes i have, if i really want to play a game i buy it regardless of the price, the only games i buy when they are on sale are games that im not really sure about buying them in the first place
  • db1331 - January 23, 2014 5:37 a.m.

I'm in the same boat. I'm waiting for the game and all the DLC to hit $10. The demo seemed alright, but it felt like the game should've been $40 at release instead of $60.
  • The_Tingler - January 23, 2014 5:44 a.m.

Yep, agreed. Definitely worth it though. While a little bit feeling like an offline MMO it's lots of fun, and they put a lot of effort into the world.
  • db1331 - January 30, 2014 10:20 a.m.

Someone was listening to us. It's currently 70% off on Steam. The bundle with all DLC is $12. I went ahead and bought it.
  • garnsr - January 22, 2014 4:27 p.m.

It was free on PS Plus for a time. Digital pricing is still baffling, and it looks like it's carrying on into the new generation. But, you don't expect old music or books to be cheaper, do you? Beatles albums are about as old as you're likely to buy in music, and they've always been full price. You'll pay as much for a book from 1950 as you would for one from this year. And you'll pay as much for a 200 page book as you would for a 700 page book, or as much for a Kindle version, with no pages printed at all.
  • The_Tingler - January 23, 2014 2:11 a.m.

Yeah, everywhere but Steam it's been on offer (or in PS Plus' case, free!).
  • Sinosaur - January 22, 2014 4:31 p.m.

The reason is because EA wants you to buy it on Origin (it has been on sale multiple times on Origin).
  • Nettacki - January 22, 2014 1:33 p.m.

In a way, EA still deserved the worst company in America awards. Because let's be honest: "make a video game" barely even covers any of the bad things EA has done, and in the end, this simply proves that EA has a horrible reputation that's rightly deserved due to their practices.
  • BladedFalcon - January 22, 2014 2:02 p.m.

You're fucking out of touch in reality if you really think ANYTHING an entertainment company could have done is even remotely worse than driving the entire economy of the country into the ground, polluting the ocean or y'know, anything that actually DOES affect lives and the world. Doesn't matter if EA was super shitty in his practices, his worst sins ultimately have no bearing on human life at large, and thus, anything they do is completely superflous, and nothing more than a first world problem. You, and every single asshole that seriously believes EA deserved this above BP or Bank of America make me sick, and also ashamed to even be called a gamer. because this kind of bullshit is what makes us look infantile, self entitled and petty to the rest of the world.
  • TomSJ3 - January 22, 2014 2:32 p.m.

You're absolutely right and I hate that I was reminded of that poll. I hate to think that video gamers are so out of touch that they think EA is even capable of being the worst company in America, even if it's arguably the worst company in the video game industry.
  • BladedFalcon - January 22, 2014 3:04 p.m.

Yep. Again, to me that only gives credence to the belief that all gamers are a bunch whiny, self entitled assholes that do nothing but bitch like crybabies all day on the Internet. How the fuck am I supposed to deny those accusations if we have shit like this as rock hard proof of a large majority of us being such massive dickheads?
  • Arobadope - January 22, 2014 6:40 p.m.

Ok sorry, but I need to bring up the fact you refer to EA as 'his' and that's just weird to me. Also, if you want to blame the crashing of the economy, at least blame it on the right people, it wasn't Bank of America, it was Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac that lead to the recession (though to say it's the greatest one since the Great Depression is debatable). Finally......overreaction much? I think it's pretty clear that most polls are only taken by people who have the strongest opinions about something, and who has a stronger opinion about something than gamers? Liberals and Republicans that's who. Wait.....
  • BladedFalcon - January 22, 2014 8:09 p.m.

Yeah, the couple of times I referred to EA as "his" was a typo, and it does sound weird. but it wasn't intentional, so sorry about that XD Secondly, okay, you're right there too, I mentioned Bank of America because it was the first name that came to mind. But still a mistake. And well... How am I overreacting. Yes, gamers have strong opinions, we would know, both of us have strong opinions about our hobby. That being said, i think both of us would have never chosen EA over any of those other more deserving companies. Which is WHY the fact that this happened bothered me, because it gives a bad name to a group of people that enjoy something I do.
  • Arobadope - January 23, 2014 7:08 a.m.

Nah the Bank of America thing is something a lot of people believe, which is sad because the REAL culprits are the morons in office that NO ONE VOTES OUT EVER! I think you're overreacting because the poll is online I believe and when gamers are scorned they'll ignore all logic and put the company who scorned them as number 1 no matter what. A company could have turned New Jersey into a lake and EA still would have been considered the worst company in America. Does it look bad on all of us? To some extent yeah, you're right it does I agree with you there. My own personal vote goes to Fannie Mae and/or Freddie Mac, BP I give a half pass too because the Obama Administration (I believe it was under his term when the final checks were sent through), let them cut the corners on the safety of the oil rig when it was clear they should have delayed it, but in the rush to keep those gas prices down they let them pass through. If we were allowed to vote on the American Government as the worst corporation in America it'd have my vote.
  • BladedFalcon - January 23, 2014 7:53 a.m.

Yes well, I can't really vote, sadly. so there's nothing I can do about that :P And look, I understand how fanboy and gamer logic works... That doesn't make it right or excusable. Just because I know why it happens, doesn't mean it bothers me less. Like you said, they ignore all logic... and well, isn't that fucking sad? Yeah, Fannie Mae or freddie Mac seems like the ones that have done the most damage. But I mean, any of those companies that did real damage to the world or economy are way more deserving of the award than a fucking videogame publisher.
  • TheVoid - January 22, 2014 7:17 p.m.

BladedFalcon you took the words right out of my mouth. I don't know if it's because I'm an older gamer with a family and mortgage or what but when I saw EA voted "worst company in America" two years in a row I immediately thought to myself "Ok, it's official - there are a lot of clueless gamers out there", followed by an overwhelming feeling of nausea to even be considered part of that pack. It's certainly not the first time I've been embarrassed to be part of the gaming community but it's up there with the worst. I'm a businessman and I can't even mention this bit of news among non-gaming co-workers because it just seems so damn petty when there are so many other companies in this country truly and repeatedly doing their best to F over everything and everyone in sight. By comparison EA's actions come across as trivial at best. If I were to mention this to a co-worker - "Hey, did you know EA was voted worst company in America two years in a row?" - the inevitable question would be "Oh yeah? Why?" - what could I possibly say that wouldn't paint me as an insolated prick with no real sense of what's going on outside my front door? I mean seriously - worst company in America? Two years in a row? REALLY folks? C'mon!!!! Gamers that voted EA the worst company in America need to join the ranks of LIFE. They need to break free from their confined and controlled environments and take a long, hard look at what's going on in this world. Maybe redirect some of that passion and fury to things that actually goddamn matter. Ultimately EA still offers choice in that you can dodge any/all of their questionable business practices if you so wish. Meanwhile, there's a ton of shady business (and higher) practices that screw people so hard into the ground that there is no chance for recovery with zero choice in the matter. But EA is so much worse because...well, because there appear to be enough entitled, vapid gamers with little-to-no sense of reality out there to say so. It honestly makes me sick and very, very sad.
  • Eightboll812 - January 22, 2014 10:35 p.m.

Calm down man. It's not like this poll is a serious poll. When I saw the results, I laughed. I'd bet at least a good quarter of the votes on these types of polls are from employees of the companies involved. I've been through this before with final-four style CEO tournaments. Emails circulate encouraging employees to vote for their own guy, or in this case vote for the other company... There's really no reason to get bent out of shape over this. It's just a stupid anti-popularity contest among the online generation, that's all. BTW, I don't think BP was even in the "tournament" at all, so railing on people for not picking a company that wasn't a choice is a bit absurd.