In between the considerable drama, Xenosaga III serves up turn-based battles. As we learned before, the Boost gauge from the prior game makes its return. You can use this power to jump the queue and unload attacks before your proper turn, or spend it on really big special moves that do big damage - your choice. The battles are totally menu-driven now, dropping any of the button-tapping flourishes the series has seen before.
You can choose from standard attacks, magical Ether spells, powered-up Tech attacks and the Boost-draining Special attacks, which do the most damage. You can also aim for max damage, or try and Break an enemy - by doing certain attacks that charge up its Break meter. When an enemy enters Break state it becomes paralyzed, so you can spring a massive combo on 'em while they're helpless. Bad news is that the enemies can Break you (but if you're crafty enough, you can heal down your Break meter before it gets to that point.)
- Your party's statistics, including HP (health) and EP (points consumed by Tech and Ether)
- Up here, you can see whose turn comes next
- The Boost meter - you can use Boost for Special attacks or jumping ahead in line
- This attack has caused the enemy to enter "Break" status, so it will be paralyzed for two turns
- Total damage across all attacks and party members this turn
- The name of the special attack currently being executed