• Shadow Of Death - November 23, 2012 7:33 p.m.

I've wanted to get into the Halo games, but unfortunately only the first and second (and I think Reach? Not sure? Possibly 3 might be?) are on PC. I don't want to get into a FPS series if only some of the games are on the PC. It's one thing if the spin-offs aren't on the platform of choice, but if the main series isn't then that's a problem.
  • Person5 - November 24, 2012 12:50 a.m.

this To be fair, I do have an Xbox and have played Halos 3, ODST, Reach, and 4, but I'd prefer to play them on my computer, It's why I still play CE over and over again. Problem is is that if we all did get our wish and these games were put on PC, they'd be on Games for Windows, not Steam or something good.
  • zombi3grim - November 23, 2012 9:01 p.m.

I have played every single Halo game ever made. I love the series. I also grew up on Doom, Goldeneye, Quake and Half Life. Tribes and Unreal Tournament as well. Halo fits in with those games extremly well. I find it unfathomable that you could love those games and dismiss Halo. Seems to me you were just afraid to try something new and already hated it before you even tried it. Glad you like it now though. Too bad it couldnt join your sessions of classic FPS gameing like it did mine.
  • AzumaGames - November 24, 2012 5:09 a.m.

My problem with this article is that you're speaking about the whole Halo franchise from your experience with one game -- the first two games I played felt incredibly generic and 'safe' in terms of FPS games, and after reading your article it seems that you just like Halo 4 because it 'felt' good rather than citing anything with any real detail. You yourself admit that you had poor experiences with the franchise up until this title. Well-programmed AI and regenerating shields (or health, as the case may be) aren't anything new to FPS games, and if you mean to say that Halo 4 is the apex of such concepts, then I'd have to ask you to explain WHY instead of just stating so... I get that this current batch of Halo games is called the 'redeemer' series, but the idea of absolving the series from all it's sins based on a good experience with ONE of it's games is a bit ridiculous to me. I'm glad you're picking up the older games, because I'd like to see what you think of the series as a whole, rather than stating that Halo is good after playing the most recent entry. So basically what I'm saying is that I am in the same state you were before you played Halo 4, and how I'm hearing this is 'Halo 4 is actually good!' which is the same thing people were telling me when the first game in the series came out; 'Halo is good!' I don't disagree, I'm sure it's a 'good' game, but I don't buy 'good' games. I play games that are innovative and dare to break conventions. It's the same reason I don't consider Bioshock to be especially great in terms of mechanics; the idea of a FPS that utilizes 'powers' is nothing new. It was done in Star Wars: Dark Forces YEARS ago. So does Halo -- as a series -- bring anything new or innovative to it's genre? I'm not asking rhetorically, or trying to upset anyone. It's my actual, genuine question about the series. I tried the first two and felt that they offered nothing new to me, and why I've had my opinion of Halo dangling on the same indifference that you seemed to have had.
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - November 24, 2012 9:34 a.m.

Yeah, the main reason I prefer Halo these days is because you don't die instantly when shot by another player. The skirmishes that come from combat are where I find the most enjoyment. It's something that most FPS games these days barely have.
  • skull war - November 26, 2012 6:47 a.m.

halo in general is just crap the master chief character sucks and pretty much has the same level of personality as the guy from doom 1 only thing ive liked about each halo is the multiplayer and thats mainly due to having quite a few friends that play them, i only liked reach and odst campaign the rest i thought were dull and felt more like a chore playing through than fun havnt played 4 yet but if its anything like the rest of the main games then it will sick balls