• BladedFalcon - December 9, 2013 3:10 p.m.

Sam Greebriar shouldn't even be on this list, she and her story are the weakest and worst part of that overrated, critic-pandering game.
  • Unoriginal - December 9, 2013 3:51 p.m.

Hey now, loads of non-critics liked Gone Home. I personally loved that game. Sure, Sam may not be as good as Joel or Trevor but I know a couple of people personally who really identified with her. I can very well understand the gripes people had with the game (game? interactive 90's fest?) but that is no reason to disregard all the people who liked it or their collective opinions :/
  • BladedFalcon - December 9, 2013 4:06 p.m.

Again, I am not saying gone home is a bad game per se, but it is most definitely overrated, and more to the point, how is Sam Greenbriar a good character? SPOILERS FOR THE GAME BELOW, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED She doesn't have a particularly strong personality, outside from the hormone filled teen traits stereotypical teens portrayed in Hollywood have. In fact, she's rather generic in that sense and hence why no doubt people that age or that acted the way she was when they were teens related to her easily. Thing is, relatable character =/= a GOOD character. And that other trait that no doubt is what makes her stand out for both critics and certain people? Her sexuality? That's part of what I meant with shameless pandering. Of COURSE people are going to relate to that, regardless of whether this is actually handled well or not, or if it was truly significant for the character or the story. More than that though, her actions are stupid, understandable enough for people her age... But there's a reason why teenager characters are seldom chosen or considered for being great characters in any list: most of us were idiots as teenagers, we didn't know what we were doing, and thus it's not a period that should be celebrated much.
  • universaltofu - December 9, 2013 4:34 p.m.

This doesn't have anything to do with military man who stole your heart as a teen after ripping it out in mortal kombat does it?
  • BladedFalcon - December 9, 2013 4:54 p.m.

Nope, it does not, nice way to word that, btw XD
  • universaltofu - December 9, 2013 4:57 p.m.

" I've you've been paying attention " :p
  • BladedFalcon - December 9, 2013 5:13 p.m.

....Yeah, that was a screw up alright. I try my best to keep typos to a minimum, but I keep missing some >>;
  • universaltofu - December 9, 2013 5:52 p.m.

To be more on topic, I feel that when it comes to story in games, the mechanics should serve the narrative. I believe Bioshock achieves this with how it presents choice and player agency, from what I gather The Last Of Us also achieves this through it's presentation of violence. Now with Gone Home for me what is achieved is the subversion of expectation, (there's red stuff in the bathroom, did she hurt herself, no it's just hair dye, what about ghosts, well there aren't any), this is environmental storytelling at its finest, sharing some of the developers from Bioshock (the first one, and minervas den I think), and the simple mechanics are tools in digging up each part of the story. Each turning over of another otherwise uninteresting object fulfills a basic gamer impulse of discovery handled in a smart subtle way. The humanity of the characters is told plainly and purposefully plainly at that, there is no 'also there are zombies' attached to the story, or 'set in a magical kingdom', or 'with dual wielding shotguns', it's as you said a relatable story that is actually literally relatable.
  • BladedFalcon - December 9, 2013 6:42 p.m.

Yes, as you said and as I acknowledged, the game does deserve praise for this, and i recognize that they did a pretty good job in making you interested in a setting and story that was just... common. That aspect of the game is fantastic, but even if the story can be relatable, it still feels weak, and ultimately boilerplate and generic, it's a story you've seen a thousand times in TV and movies before, albeit granted this time it was presented in a very clever way. My point is, I feel Gone Home's method was great, but it would have been better served if they had told a truly interesting, or thought provoking story. And no, that doesn't mean it had to have any outlandish elements attached to it, or any crime or violence. But you COULD have made it more intimate, more personal, again, take To The Moon. The game does use a slightly fantastic sci-fi narrative device, but the main story is completely grounded in reality and in mundane common life as Gone Home's. But is a much more interesting, touching, personal story, which, say, would be the kind that could have elevated gone home from being an interesting, innovative take on how to tell a story, into the complete package.
  • universaltofu - December 9, 2013 6:59 p.m.

Still need to play To The Moon, I adore the bits of the soundtrack that I've listened to though.
  • BladedFalcon - December 9, 2013 7:09 p.m.

Highly recommend it. It isn't a perfect game either, it really is barely a game, and you can argue that what little gameplay there is feels unnecessary. But the story? very much worth experiencing.
  • Ironarm - December 9, 2013 8:16 p.m.

The amount of tears I shed during the climax of To The Moon could have filled a bathtub.
  • Unoriginal - December 9, 2013 5:29 p.m.

To me, Sam becomes a good video game character, not neccesarily because of her actions but rather her involvement as a gameplay and story device. In the two or so hours it takes to finish Gone Home I went from knowing nothing about the girl to genuinly caring for her. I remember the intense feeling of dread when I thought that anytime I could possibly find her dead in the house because of how the story felt like a Suicide note at times. I cared for what would happen to her and that is not something I can say for many characters in games, especially not short 2 hour long ones. She is, for those who got hooked by the game, the driving force behind it. She caused laughs, fear, relief and concern. I´m right there next to you on snobbingly sneering at obvious Oscar-baits but never once in my playthrough of Gone Home did I feel like they were telling a story to pander to anyone, it was just a story they really wanted to tell. It felt genuine in a way King's speech and Forrest Gump never felt. But then again, it's a *subjective* thing and the fact that solid arguments can be made for both sides just goes to show that both sides are valid. Let's not disregard one opinion as "wrong" just because we don't agree with it. Wether the game is overrated or not, now that is a completely other discussion. It's been a victim of a very justified Hype Backlash, the 5.6 metacritic user average makes that very clear. If Gone Home goes ahead and wins multiple "Game of the Generation" awards, hey man, I'll bring the torches and you bring the fire. I'm not saying Sam is the 100% best ultimate character of the year, I'm just saying she deserves a mention because she really affected those she resonated with.
  • BladedFalcon - December 9, 2013 5:38 p.m.

Well, fair enough in that sense, I can't very much say you're wrong for liking her, because hey, that's your opinion and you're very much entitled to it ^^ And also, you're right in that I probably went to far and did make it sound that liking Sam is "wrong". It really isn't, it's just that, again, I found not much to like about the character, and i admit that I'm probably being harsher at her than I should because of the amount of almost universal acclaim it has gotten from critics. But you are right, that IS another discussion. In short, I still maintain that she isn't a great character at all, but if you do think so and connected with her... Well hey, maybe there IS a reason why she got nominated :P
  • shawksta - December 9, 2013 4:02 p.m.

Im gonna have to agree with you. The game itself and its exploraton was good, but the conclusion and just sams character in general was massively underwhelming when you get to the meat of it.