We Recommend

• Rhymenocerous - April 26, 2013 10:02 a.m.

"Key Demographics"......... Kids. These days (for whatever reason/s) they're too impatient to appreciate the struggle of a true survival horror, or puzzle adventure, or turn-based strategy etc. Too used to the spectacle of tightly-scripted CoD explode-a-thins and multiplayer scream-fests to just sit down, keep the hell off twitter/facebook/youtube/online walkthroughs, and play a game that truly demands your complete attention. So yeah... F@**in spoilt kids control industry direction - or at least have a significant amount of clout as a mainstream audience knd of sense.
  • obviouslyadouche - April 26, 2013 10:11 a.m.

This may have just been me, but despite the fact I hated horror movies, even as a Kid I loved scary games.
  • Rhymenocerous - April 27, 2013 10:17 a.m.

Me too. The modern generation of kids though? Not so much... (I should also point out this is a generalisation, and I'm sure there are some smart kids out there who can appreciate great gameplay, and the sense of achievement a survival horror experience can bring)
  • Technodude - May 25, 2013 1:34 a.m.

Like me! I always play games for the experience they bring, then after I've appreciated the story I might go back for achievements etc.
  • chavbuster1 - April 26, 2013 10:51 a.m.

Totally agree!
  • Sy87 - April 26, 2013 8:47 a.m.

So true all of it. Dead space 3 played out the ubermorpth to much to be really scary just annoying. I miss the old RE games. I really hate the terriosts in every game plot. I get that's the world we live in but I want to fight monsters not dude with guns or a shield arm. Thanks for this article.
  • Imgema - April 26, 2013 8:28 a.m.

"When was the last time you ran away in a game? Not just to hide behind cover and let your shield recharge, but actually ran away because you were out-matched and terrified?" Dark Souls.
  • BottleBank - April 26, 2013 9:54 a.m.

amen to that!
  • obviouslyadouche - April 26, 2013 10:11 a.m.

First thing I thought of too.
  • shawksta - April 26, 2013 10:54 a.m.

That's brilliant but there's still a significant difference between a difficult overpowered enemy and a enemy that scares you by its appearance and entrance.
  • Imgema - April 26, 2013 12:53 p.m.

Yes but if enemies aren't a threat, there is no reason to scare you. Dead Space for instance have some very disturbing looking enemies but it's not that scary as a game because you can kill those very easily. Something like Penumbra, on the other hand, has some generic looking zombies but man, are they scary. Now, imagine a game like Dark Souls but with a Resident Evil or Silent Hill visual design and atmosphere. Not like its current atmosphere isn't dark or scary at some parts. IMO Dark Souls is much scarier than Dead Space or Resident Evil 4 and above.
  • shawksta - April 26, 2013 1:28 p.m.

Fair enough