Topics

Week of Love

• inkyspot - April 19, 2012 4:43 a.m.

Dispite my personal gripes on the ending of ME3, the Mass Effect series has become my most favorite game series to date, it has surpassed the GTA series for me. Of course the GTA series is a second (It was the first game that made me actually play a game for more than a half hour). The Witch 3, a new favorite for me.
  • inkyspot - April 19, 2012 4:45 a.m.

Sorry for the jacked up grammer. The last game mentioned is the Witcher2... I messed that up also.
  • taokaka - April 19, 2012 3:45 a.m.

I actually tried to put in order my favourite games of all time a while back and still regret everything about that list but some of my favourites include -God of war 1,2,3,COO,GOS (original GOW is probably my favourite game of all time) -TWEWY (my favourite story of any videogame) -Burnout 3 (best racer ever) -Star wars battlefront 2 (why doesn't 3 exist yet????) -Uncharted 2 (couldn't play another game for a week after finishing uncharted 2) -streets of rage (my first gaming love) -braid (agree with channel4, it's miles better than limbo) -call of duty 4 (nobody hates COD4) -pokemon diamond (game I've put most time into) -Tekken 3 (first game I remember playing for hours upon hours without break) -THPS3 (most radical, Xtreme game ever)
  • taokaka - April 19, 2012 3:50 a.m.

Forgot blazblue CT & CS, professor layton: the lost future, klonoa 2, Need for speed most wanted, Deus ex: HR, Digimon world 2003, digimon rumble arena 2 and so many more but I think I better stop before I decide to comment on my comment again.
  • Nikku7 - April 21, 2012 12:37 a.m.

TWEWY is amazing and it deserved to be played by more people. Also one of my favs.
  • Bobo93 - April 19, 2012 3:31 a.m.

Grandia
  • Channel4 - April 19, 2012 2:19 a.m.

Hmm, Now that I actually think about it I have a huge, geeky list of favourites that I can't really choose between. Here goes. MGS, MGS2, MGS3 Persona 3 and 4 Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword Super Mario World, SMB3, Super Mario Galaxy 2 Jak II and 3 FFVII (I know VI is supposedly the best but I really don't think it is, in fact I get a bit annoyed when people say it's inarguably the best like Gamesradar did in their best SNES games article) Braid (miles better than Limbo IMO) Super Smash Brothers Melee Assassins Creed: Revelations (the end of Ezios story is just so perfectly done and the game as a whole is just beautiful) God Of War II and last but not least Team Buddies. If you haven't played it, it's an underappreciated PS1 game that is a cross between an RTS and a tactical TPS with a crazy story (read the plot on Wikipedia, it's hilarious). Personally it gets my vote as the best splitscreen game of all time, even better than Timesplitters.
  • secretsearcher - April 19, 2012 12:28 a.m.

It's a tie between Baten Kaitos Origins and Paper Mario
  • Rub3z - April 19, 2012 12:17 a.m.

My favorite game... my most loved game is... ... urgh... ugh... AAAAAGH! I can't do it. I'm sorry. I can't choose. In my opinion, games have so many different experiences to offer that trying to choose the best among them, whether from an objective or subjective standpoint; is like comparing apples to oranges. I hate oranges. And I'm not a big fan of apples either... for me personally, bananas reign supreme. But I digress. IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER, GAMES I LOVE (with accompanying brief descriptions or reasons as to why): Vanquish (every moment is beautiful... explosions) Battlefield (so shiny, and those who haven't ever just sat back to appreciate the sound design on its own just owe it to themselves) Super Meat Boy (incredimazingly awesome... screenshots of this game should show up when you look up awesome in the dictionary or any other reference) SSX (I am so glad they rebooted it, and it's everything I could've hoped for and more... mind-blowing) Red Faction: Guerrilla (more action games absolutely NEED destruction as satisfying as what's presented in this gem in the rough... I salivate at what it would be like merged into an advanced engine like Frostbite 2.0) Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon (read the review of this game here on the site by Antista. He sums it up quite well... one of those games that proudly declares; "GAMEPLAY FIRST, GAMEPLAY FOREVER!") Serious Sam 3 (the Chuck Norris of FPS games, and in every good way possible) Everyday Shooter (stellar, sensational, sexy sounds) A Reckless Disregard for Gravity (Play it with your hands. But don't let them touch. If they touch... you may contract a disease.) VVVVVV (An exercise in frustration and adventure so sweet I cannot recommend it enough.) Need for Speed (I generally love this franchise. Most Wanted, Hot Pursuit, and the latest Run... it gets me hooked.) WipeOut(I'm a completionist with most games. This franchise as a whole is for the completionist, the perfectionist. Pretty with satisfying gameplay and controls.) Left 4 Dead (both of them. I don't need to go into it.) Most recently, Fez, which just came out in the past week. Stuff in the Xbox Live Indie Games Section that hardly anyone knows that they need: I MAED A GAEM WITH ZOMBI3S IN1T!!!11! (there's a reason it's the highest-rated, probably most downloaded game in the Indie games section.) Dead Pixels: An 8-bit Zombie Sim. (So much fun.) Zombie Estate (A game of pure survival. Most onscreen enemies you'll ever see in a game. Simplicity is beautiful.) MotorHEAT (If you like driving fast, you must have this one.) Decimation X2 (Retro hardcore insanity. A blast.) Just about anything beginning with radiangames. Score Rush... One of, if not THE most hardcore games you'll ever play, all for just a buck (i.e., whatever leftover MS points you have that you shouldn't spend on avatar accessories). And if you can reach 100,000,000 (hundred million) points like I have, kudos. That's an open invite to challenge right there. My GT is the same as it is here: Rub3z. That's all. If anything, this should've been read as games I think everyone needs to play, without mentioning totally obvious ones like Portal et al. If it's made by Valve it's good... y'know, Half-Life, TF2 (I already mentioned L4D). That's all.
  • Rub3z - April 19, 2012 12:27 a.m.

My list is just so thorough, it seems, that I forgot only one. Just two, actually. I'll say these two and be done. No More Heroes 2. Half-Life 2: Episode 1. I know I mentioned HL above, but for me personally Episode 1 had to be mentioned all its own. Sorry for the additional post... wish I could edit, but it doesn't matter much.
  • TheZigMan - April 19, 2012 12:13 a.m.

This is difficult for me. My favorite game right now is EVE Online. If you have never played an MMO, or you're sick of your current one, I truly believe EVE to be the best MMO ever made. My favorite game of all time however, would probably have to be a toss up between Civilization 2, Halo 3, and Red Dead Redemption. Civ 2 was just a revolutionary game for its time, and probably my highest played game ever. Halo 3 was the best (and still is) Halo game, and it got me into multiplayer games. Red Dead Redemption had the best story I had ever encountered in a game, an awesome multiplayer, and some of the best game mechanics I've ever seen
  • machupichu1992 - April 18, 2012 11:21 p.m.

Okami is my all time favorite. Period. I think the fact that Gamesradar seems to love it may be why I'm drawn to this site all the time ha. My first game as a kid was Kirby Super Star and I still have much love for it. (Snes doesn't work anymore so I'm resorting to the DS version) Other favorites: Psychonauts, Mirror's Edge, Paper Mario 1&2, Machinarium, Limbo, Cave Story (screw Ballos!), Yoshi's Island, Fallout 3, Wind Waker-....must...resist...listing everything...
  • KishouTenpi - April 18, 2012 11:18 p.m.

Persona 4, hands down The story encaptured me, the battle mechanics were easy to learn, hard to master and it felt like everything mattered. Everytime I upped a social link, I actually studied for tests. That game has stolen summers away from me, and it bested Persona 3, which is very hard to do!
  • azureguy - April 18, 2012 10:51 p.m.

That's a tricky question since it depends on so many personal circumstances. The games that hold a special place in my heart are: I won a strategy guide for Final Fantasy IX when it came out, so I played through the game with special care. My first PS1 game, and also my first beautiful gaming experience, was Klonoa: Door to Phantomile. Kirby Super Star is my favorite SNES game, period. I went through great lengths to obtain a copy of it. I quite like both Majora's Mask and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. I'm one of these people that acknowledge the importance of the first games, but personally like the sequels quite a bit more. The first Kingdom Hearts was the first game I was super hyped about, and the end result didn't disappoint me. Tales of Symphonia had a big impact on me because it was a parting gift from one of my friends before he moved to another town (he got Wind Waker from me). I've become an avid Tales fan ever since, and I would miss out on the series if it wouldn't be for that game. And last but not least, I'm a huge fan of Team Fortress 2. Don't play it every day, but enjoyed it since release none the less. I met some great guys thanks to it as well. I even have a community weapon for it, and you don't get those for nothing ;) And as a honorable mention, I must give Skyrim credit for getting me into CRPGs. I was only exposed to JRPGs and Fable before, and my first try at CRPGs a few years ago was Gothic 1 - needless to say, the controls and the lack of direction scared me away. But then came Skyrim, and I played Deus Ex: HR as well as the original Deus Ex, picked up Gothic 1 again and many more are on my list. I think I needed to be old enough to truly appreciate these games, and Skyrim was the game that introduced me to them.
  • BaraChat - April 18, 2012 9:32 p.m.

I have to say mine is Ocarina of Time and, however unoriginal that choice might seem to everyone, it's true. I'd like to give honorable mentions but my list would be WAAAY too long if I included older generations, so I'll just state that my favorite game this gen is Bioshock, very closely followed by Galaxy, Portal 2 and Fallout 3.
  • ABACADA6494 - April 18, 2012 8:22 p.m.

Jak II is my favorite game. A near perfect blend of fun, story, gameplay, and difficulty in that game. also its fun to just run around being Dark Jak and killing everybody, but i think that i really love that game because of all of the good times i've had with it. but anyways there are quite a few others close to that summit of my favorite game that i love. Uncharted 2 is a close second, Tetris is up there somewhere, NFS Most Wanted, Minecraft, FF XII, SotC, and Pokemon (all of them) are also up there. I love a lot of games
  • Higgins - April 18, 2012 8:20 p.m.

Maybe Day of the Tentacle.
  • smashpro1 - April 18, 2012 8 p.m.

River City Ransom!
  • BackwaterRifle - April 18, 2012 8 p.m.

MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD FOR FALLOUT 3 AND NEW VEGAS, PROCEED WITH CAUTION. Fallout: New Vegas would have to be the game I love most. My fallout love began actually a very short while ago (2 1/2 years), after I had let a friend of mine borrow AC II, and in return he let me borrow Fallout 3 GOTY edition. Up till that point, I hadn't truly experienced an open world game of such magnitude, (not that Fallout 3 is necessarily the most open world game on the planet, but it is up there.), and for me, it was honestly greater than I could have possibly imagined. I probably poured roughly 1000 solid hours into that game, finding every unique weapon that I could (In two different saves), then I went on a achievement unlocking spree, getting nearly every single one, then finally, I just started collecting anything and everything that was slightly different. Then I found out about how to pick objects up, and then began to toy around with it literally a week straight. Probably my last great achievement in Fallout 3 that I accomplished is when I went to point lookout, and found every last object, from Lever-Action Rifles to Bent tin cans I collected it all, and Stashed it on Tobar's boat. In fact my very name comes from the Unique Lever-Action Rifle, Backwater Rifle. But now you may be asking, why is he rambling about Fallout 3 when it isn't even his favorite game? It's to show you how much New Vegas had to do to win my heart. New Vegas's road to the top started with the launch of the E3 trailer. After watching it the first time, I went back and watched it at least 10 more times. I would soon go out and pre-order the special edition, something I had never done for any previous game. Two weeks before launch all I could talk about was FONV. (my friends were ready to kill me)I picked it up around 5:00 pm on the launch day(pretty sure the date was 10/19/10, the only launch date I remember by heart)and I got home and played it for 5 straight hours.(first character was called backwater bill) Let me say this, at first like many people, my expectations were not met, but I decided I still needed to get to Vegas. The New Vegas Strip was an even bigger let down, and when Tyler Ngata said at the end of his review later that FONV wasn't better than Fallout 3, even though it tried to one up it at every turn, I pretty much agreed. I was sorely missing the D.C. ruins, my Xuanlong Assault Rifle, and Inon Zur's beautiful ambient soundtrack. I didn't feel attached to any faction, and was sick of cazadors. I stuck with it though, and got my first pleasant surprise through Dead money. (By this point though I had made at least five new character while only finishing the main mission once.) While Dead Money was really linear, It was the first time in awhile that I had been actually challenged. I finally decided to go through the NCR and Ceaser Legion quest lines. Then I played Honest Hearts, hoping it would be the DLC that would be better than Point Lookout, and it wasn't even close. Then I took about a two week break. I was utterly bored one day, and I popped in NV. Instead of continuing with the character I had last played with, I decided to create myself, something I had not done even in Fallout 3. After I spent a solid 10 minutes in the character creation(which is a long time for me)I set out, except this time, I decided to go north of Goodsprings after I dealt with the powder gangers. I was met with the odd luck of the cazadores not spawning, and made my way down to the outskirts of Bonnie Springs. I popped some steady and began to use V.A.T.S. to clear out the Vipers who spawned there. Never have I had such an entertaining firefight. Then I used two stealth boys I had procured to sneak past the death claws, another incredibly tense moment. From then on I slowly began to do things in somewhat ridiculous manners, and that's when the love started to bloom. I sided with the legion first, because by this point, I had decided that I really did not like the NCR, and I despised House(I haven't even completed his quest line yet.)I worked my way up to the point where Ceasar lies in his bed unconscious with his brain tumor. I decided to kill him, and then proceeded to talk my way out of the persecution that I did it on purpose, and that was seriously the one of most gratifying moment I have had in a video game. Then Old World Blues came out, and became the best Fallout DLC released thus far. I haven't laughed so hard at a video game since Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga. It also in a sense cured my old world blues I had for a lack of pre war info I found in the Mojave. Plus I got to talk to my brain. Now when I got back I took up a new hobby in the Mojave wasteland. I would go around and just slaughter NCR scum by the boat loads, and put whatever hat they had on in the abandon house south of the Northern passage, which makes an awesome player house. CONTINUED IN BELOW COMMENTS.
  • BackwaterRifle - April 18, 2012 8:30 p.m.

At this point, when I enter the house my game lags quite a bit from the number of hats there, and I had to continue my pile at the sink. Now I had returned to the classic hunt for anything and everything unique or rare, and that Brings me up to Lonesome Road. I already loved FONV more than Fallout 3, but this would be the deciding factor on which was truly the better game. Lonesome Road would bring the couriers past into light, and it was crucial this was executed properly. It was. I returned to the wasteland, having rained nuclear hell on I15 pretty much sealing the fate of the NCR in the area. Once GRA was released, I began the final preparations for wrapping this play session up. I cleared every companion quest, except for Boone, who I shot in the face quite awhile back. I bought medicine stick, the unique version of the gun I had already been using, the brush gun, and adorned my Gecko Backed leather armor; reinforced, with my barter cap and lucky shades and prepared to go to war. I had the most fun this time around with the final mission, and even an awkward moment, as when I stormed the legate camp with my army that would liberate new vegas (there is also some irony to this because I destroyed the securitron vault), the legate looked at me and asked me if I was ready to send the NCR back to California. Only after I shot him in the face a couple times did he realize that I wasn't an Ally, but by that time it would be to late, cause about 3 more shots, he fell dead to the ground. I then proceeded to have yes man throw general oliver off hoover dam, and watched the credits. A solid 5 months had gone into this save, about 300 hours. I had done as much as I could, and in the ending slides, it showed, being incredibly varied, and I almost shed a tear of joy. I had finally realized that New Vegas, though at the beginning hadn't been what I wanted, it had aged like a fine wine, and once I started playing to have fun rather than to compare it to fallout 3, it was incredible. That is why it is my favorite game, and it also didn't hurt that I had experienced very few bugs throughout my entire play time, comparative to the community. Also note that it edges out Pokemon Emerald, Super Mario World, Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Pikmin 2, GTA: SA, Bioshock 1 and 2, and Portal 1 and 2.(For me personally) To be me my favorite game is no small feat by any means, but the Fallout setting, back-story, narrative, dark humor, openness, and game-play earn it this spot, even with its problems. I understand this was long, but for how much I love Fallout: New Vegas, any shorter would have been injustice, and if you actually read all of this, I hope I didn't bore you too badly.
  • BackwaterRifle - April 18, 2012 8:37 p.m.

Also forgot to mention it beat out Mario and Luigi super star saga, Paper Mario and Paper Mario thousand year door, and SSB (Melee and Brawl). The reason I bring these up is to show how cut throat my top of the list is.