Topics

Top 7

• Talvari - July 8, 2013 11:19 a.m.

Never bought a Nintendo system for 3rd party titles. Don't really think anyone does. Would rather them grab or create new IPs rather than grab sequels or something. Ain't need dat shiz. Don't think it needs an achievement system either. Pretty sure they just let it up to the developers to put achivements in. Sonic all stars racing has them for example. They don't really add anything to the experience imo. A month ago i'd be of the opinion that they don't need to drop the Wii U price but with the PS4 being around £80-100 more on average maybe it should drop a tiny bit. Maybe a drop in the US is neccessary as everywhere else gets screwed over price wise by the PS4. As for the VC thing I think that'll happen in time. Maybe they'll push for it after they've pushed out the summer update (if that even comes.. >.>) I don't like pokemon at all so i don't want an MMO but people seem to want it and i get why so..that's on them : |
  • BladedFalcon - July 8, 2013 11:49 a.m.

"Never bought a Nintendo system for 3rd party titles. Don't really think anyone does. " Pretty sure that back in the day for the NES and SNES, when, y'know, they actually DID have proper 3rd party support, people probably did buy them because of third party games :P I mean, your statement is kinda dumb honestly, OF COURSE people don't buy Nintendo systems for 3rd party games... Because their 3rd party support has been underwhelming ever since the N64. If for once, Nintendo did turn it around and came up with a strong or even a third party lineup that was one par with the other consoles, I betcha that would make a LOT of people buy more Nintendo consoles, for both the third party titles AND the exclusives. Heck, that's what happened with the DS and the 3DS, the reason Nintendo has done so well with both systems now and that they have destroyed Sony's portable both times, is because they have a good library of games that aren't not only first party exclusives, but 3rd party as well. So... Yeah, you might wanna think about your assessments a little bit more in the future :P
  • Talvari - July 8, 2013 4:17 p.m.

: | Wish I had the ability to edit comments that I make. Didn't realise half of that top statement was a bit of an over generalization. Regardless it varies from console to consoles as to what they require in order to sell well during a given period of time. Honestly their 1st party titles coming out over the next 9 months or so will more than likely sell more units than any of the 3rd party titles coming out. I mean...new 3D mario with multiplayer? DK, Windwaker HD, Mario Kart... I just think their priority should be marketing their upcoming 1st party games alongside the 2 Platinum Games titles as well as finding a way to sell the Wii U to people who think it's a damn accessory addon because doing a bit of research on the product is too hard. I mean don't get me wrong I think 3rd party games are important and I hope Nintendo are branching out to them as we speak to prepare something for their next nintendo direct, but I think the push for marketing their major games for the rest of this year is more important. Also the xbox/ps3 have kinda been out for yonks so i think it's a little unfair to ask that they have 3rd party support to rival theirs. : |
  • BladedFalcon - July 8, 2013 4:32 p.m.

Just because the first party games will sell well, doesn't mean that'll help get more consoles and more adopters which is what every 1st party manufacturer should be the most concerned about. And focusing on only making first party games while neglecting 3rd is just not a good strategy. For proof, you should only look at the N64 and the GameCube, both of which didn't sold nearly as much as Nintendo would have liked. The Wii only got away with it because the novelty of Motion Controls alone swept the world away, and Nintendo sold a TON of consoles thanks to normally non-gaming people. But this also meant that these people didn't really buy that much software for it, and as we're seeing now, they aren't blindly supporting Nintendo with the Wii U. The thing is, I don't think there's really a good excuse for Nintendo not having a good 3rd party library aside from their own choices or them refusing to try and get more support. I mean, Microsoft did it almost right off the bat with the 360 despite being the relative newcomer in the industry. And 3rd party publishers in general always prefer to sell their games in as many platforms as possible. So if they aren't doing it for the Wii U, it's because either Nintendo isn't giving them enough incentive, and/or they isolated themselves from it by making a console that will be technically inferior, and thus harder to just port to. And in the case of the Wii U not getting more current gen 3rd party games, I'm gonna go ahead and suspect it mainly had to do with the fact that they may be requiring developers to do something with the tablet. Considering that most third party games that have come out for it have some tacked on feature for it. And of course, most other companies won't fucking want to bother to do that. But if these are the cases, all of it is totally Nintendo's own fault.
  • Talvari - July 9, 2013 5:15 a.m.

...:| Of course first party games selling well will get more console sales... I could almost guarantee there are people holding out to buy a Wii U until Zelda or Mario comes out. Maybe even waiting until Mario Kart next year, hell some people might even be waiting for Monoliths title. I mean If they had an FZero out on the market with 16 player online or a new metroid that went back to its prime roots the console would be doing a lot better off, that can be backed up by posts all over miiverse expressing their desire for a new title in those series of games. But like i said, i'd like to think they're currently trying to grab a 3rd party for exclusives since I don't think multi platform 3rd parties will sell the Wii U compared to other consoles because...well you just don't buy a Nintendo product to play assassins creed or call of duty or any of the other ports. They're just added bonuses at this point. They announced a bunch of 3rd party games at E3 along with a bunch of indie stuff, and well to be honest Wii U and PS4 are gonna be the places to be for indie titles for consoles as they're looking to be the easiest to develop / publish on. Wii Us been confirmed for that so far as the indie devs are allowed to manage pricing to a degree and put on sales. Again my point is really that they just need to focus on marketing the Wii U and their core titles over the next 9 months while perhaps secretly getting deals with 3rd party developers to wow us in a future Nintendo direct. Developers jumped at the opportunity to develop for the DS, why not Wii U? I doubt it's the technology holding them back as I think some developers could really come up with some fascinating uses for the gamepad because god it needs it. It's probably just Nintendo being lazy and not approaching anyone, but again I really hope they're trying to branch out to at least a few while the marketing and push to release their 1st parties comes about. I think it'll be interesting in the next 6 months to see how the Wii U sales turn out. I mean honestly it's speculation from both of us as we don't really truely know how it will go. Mario 3D coming out around christmas time especially is a pretty good choice. I just hope Nintendo can do the marketing correct to support it.
  • BladedFalcon - July 9, 2013 8:05 a.m.

...No offense, but I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you probably aren't really familiar with the state of gaming prior to 2000... Otherwise I can't really understand why you'd be so naive as to think all that you're suggesting is plausible :P
  • Talvari - July 9, 2013 8:17 a.m.

Well then there's nothing more to discuss ;P I've stated what I think they should do and you've stated what you think. Only thing left to do is wait xD I suspect the end result will be a mix of both of our statements :D
  • BladedFalcon - July 9, 2013 8:22 a.m.

Maybe, but yeah, nothing more to do but wait and see. I'll be sure to keep this convo for reference a year from now though :P
  • garnsr - July 8, 2013 11:59 a.m.

The NES and Super Nintendo were driven by third parties, especially when they were all tied to Nintendo and couldn't make games for Sega, but since polygons came along the only reason to have Nintendo systems has been Nintendo games. Weren't they talking about the WiiU having achievements before it came out? I like them, I think they give you another level of game that always feels weirdly missing when I play DS games these days.
  • Talvari - July 8, 2013 4:19 p.m.

For sure, older consoles maybe when their franchises weren't as establish and essential now. Which is a good or a bad thing depending on how you want to look at it. But it's nice to know that you're practically guaranteed those quality Nintendo products right? And they might have been with the achievements thing, but if they did it never came to fruition. Maybe the summer update will include them or something, who knows. Either way pretty sure it's just up to the devs now whether they want to include them or not. It's just my personal preference that i'm not that fond on them when they're forced on you and kinda spoil some parts of the game sometimes. I like finding all the little secrets and stuff by myself :P
  • KA87 - July 8, 2013 11:18 a.m.

Yeah they do need a Pokemon MMO, but in the mean time Pixelmon is still really awesome. Pokemon on Minecraft was a genious idea.
  • Cyberninja - July 8, 2013 11:09 a.m.

Nintendo should never add an achievement system, its pointless and makes people lose focus from the actual game. its like well I could do this over here but that doesn't earn me an extra 10 points oh well time to move on to the next useless item
  • shawksta - July 8, 2013 11:24 a.m.

Kid Icarus Uprising has 360 achievements that unlock Ingame stuff, we need more of that in the industry in general
  • XNam360 - July 8, 2013 3:42 p.m.

Ha ha, so you have so much trouble focusing on the "actual game" that you actually prefer games to have LESS features, otherwise you can't concentrate? What kind of logic is that?
  • Cyberninja - July 8, 2013 6:43 p.m.

I was making a joke about how people miss the little things because they go after inflating a pointless number, Plus it does nothing what so ever.
  • XNam360 - July 9, 2013 9:50 a.m.

They are extra challenges. Why would anyone want games to have fewer features? If you don't like them, you don't have to do them.
  • Cyberninja - July 9, 2013 11:46 a.m.

things like turning on a game are extra challenges now?
  • XNam360 - July 9, 2013 4:52 p.m.

If you don't want to turn on the game, you don't have to.