Topics

Top 7

• Redeater - July 8, 2013 11:57 a.m.

I actually prefer that Nintendo stays without achievements. Unlockables like those on the 3DS might be nice but I really don't want to see a point system. Nintendo is one of the few companies left that almost always include in-game rewards for completing objectives. 100% a game like Kirby Epic Yarn was great. You get to unlock all sorts of bonus content. The last thing I want to see is bonus content being taken away and replaced by meaningless points.
  • XNam360 - July 8, 2013 3:48 p.m.

That's a false dichotomy. Achievements are additional rewards; they don't replace in-game rewards.
  • Redeater - July 9, 2013 1:41 p.m.

And that's blind naivety if you honestly believe that there isn't a correlation between games having less extras these days and the rise of achievements. Collectibles used to unlock cheats or outfits. Now they give you a +20 score.
  • XNam360 - July 9, 2013 5:02 p.m.

Oh, really? PS3 & Xbox360 games don't have any unlockable content? Only Nintendo games do? I've never heard that one before.
  • Redeater - July 10, 2013 12:17 a.m.

I'm not saying it's the case for every game (you should know better) I'm saying that MANY games have taken the EXACT scenario I just laid out. GTA 3,VC, SA: Collect all the collectibles....get an unlockable power ups at your base. GTA 4: Collect all the collectibles.......you get 50 points....and that's it. That's some fucking coincidence. This is just one of many games that have switched to points instead of traditional rewards.
  • XNam360 - July 10, 2013 1:09 a.m.

That's some pretty convoluted logic. You're quite conveniently ignoring all of the unlockable in-game bonuses that GTA 4 already has. You're just saying that on top of all that, you want even MORE extra stuff in place of the achievement rewards.
  • shawksta - July 8, 2013 11:21 a.m.

This is was actually surprising of a list. You would expect words like "Make a New IP" or "Make a Rated M Game" (which would be a nice idea) but you didn't, making the list more interesting. If only GameFreak didn't have their random hatred for Polygons, they just won't do it, every other polygon Pokemon game or spin off are by a different team, Pokemon X and Y uses Sprites to make 3D Models, showing gamefreak is still sticking to sprites. Maybe they'll improve the skill and eventually make it Or its because they are sticking with the fact that its called POCKET Monsters. While they should buy Retro and Next Level, Retro's already doing a good job plus they tend to shift developers at time with their bros's at Naughty Dog and Vigil games, who are part of the team making DKC Tropical Freeze. Either way Awesome List
  • BladedFalcon - July 8, 2013 11:21 a.m.

Definitely agree with points number 5 and number 2, specially number 2. To me it's beyond retarded that Nintendo hasn't even bothered to make those 10 free games it gifted to early 3DS adopters available to purchase. THEY ARE ALREADY CONVERTED TO BE PLAYED THERE, it doesn't even require extra work for them to make those games purchasable and make a easy extra buck... And yet to this day they haven't done it >_> Which is why I often get angry at Nintendo. Unlike many people that think I universally hate the company, I actually don't, I love most of their games, specially the old ones, but a lot of their decisions either make no sense, or are incredibly stupid or retrograde, as this list shows, it's incredibly frustrating to see a company whose games you like to make a bad decision after bad decision, or never make the good ones. Hell, even though I actively dislike and completely ignore MMOs, even I can see that making a Pokemon MMO would be a fantastic idea if done right. I wouldn't play it myself, so I don't necessarily want it made, but I'm pretty sure it would make buckets of money regardless.
  • shawksta - July 8, 2013 12:32 p.m.

I agree, though on virtual console standards it would work on their own games. I don't know much on how the system works but the rights need to be made in order to get games on the virtual console, its already one thing that Sega is gushing out allot of Game Gear games on 3DS, and Capcom with Megaman games but that's only because they let them and they get profit. Otherwise Nintendo's own games should definitely be already there and pushed more forward with the netflix idea
  • Arobadope - July 8, 2013 1:53 p.m.

More wii games on the 3ds...HAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh man that's just hilarious. And most of this list is lawls.
  • BladedFalcon - July 8, 2013 3:22 p.m.

Donkey Kong Country returns did it, and it's an arguably better game on the 3DS, so yeah, why not?
  • Arobadope - July 8, 2013 5:17 p.m.

DK Country Returns makes more sense on a handheld than on the Wii, I honestly wondered why it was on the Wii anyways (great game that it is), and I continue to wonder why the new one is on the Wii U. I will say this, if there is one game I'd love to see get either a second light or put on the 3DS it'd have to be Zak and Wiki, so sad that game didn't sell...so sad....other than that....I'd rather have new games on the 3DS, not ports of Wii games.
  • BladedFalcon - July 8, 2013 7:04 p.m.

Well yeah, I also want to have more new games on the 3DS, and we are, both Nintendo and other third companies have actually given the kind of support to the 3DS that the Wii U wishes it had. But I mean, port of already made games are cheaper and faster to put out, you usually don't have to even use a full development team behind it, so it's not like it'd take huge resources. And well, games like Kirby's Epic Yarn and Muramasa would also make great fits for the system, I'd think.
  • Arobadope - July 9, 2013 10:41 a.m.

True, I am not against it by any means, I'd just rather see the creativity of devs, though I guess the flip side is that porting to the 3DS might actually generate the sales a game should have gotten on the Wii (Zak and Wiki, keeping in line with my example from before, fits this mold as well). I suppose I am just more of a 'give me something new' compared to 'port it over' kind of guy. After all we've seen how poorly porting can go when it occurs to much, PSP showing us that pretty well. Sigh....it's funny how Sony drops the ball on handhelds and Nintendo drops the ball on homeconsoles.
  • BladedFalcon - July 9, 2013 11:04 a.m.

Heh, yeah, pretty much. It is really IS pretty amusing to see one company doing things right on one end, while doing the opposite and screwing up in the other. And actually, you're pretty much correct, it's definitely better to get new stuff than to get ported stuff. Honestly, only reason why I am okay with it in this case is because I never had a Wii, so that strategy would allow me to play games I otherwise would have never touched. But then again, I'm sure I wouldn't be as keen on the idea had I owned a Wii. Anyway, fortunately Nintendo hasn't dropped the ball on the 3DS even when it comes to new games, be it their own or from others. Here's hoping it keeps being that way.
  • Arobadope - July 9, 2013 3:04 p.m.

Indeed and here's hoping they finally apply whatever strategy they are using to make the 3DS print to the damn Wii U. I don't mind the Wii U's lack of games too much since I plan on getting a PS4, but there are some games I really want to see use the gamepad, like Watch Dogs, as I feel it could add to the game a lot if done properly of course. If more games come out that could actually benefit from the gamepad in some way, but pass on the Wii U, I'd be pretty sad even if they came out of PS4 :\
  • Talvari - July 8, 2013 11:19 a.m.

Never bought a Nintendo system for 3rd party titles. Don't really think anyone does. Would rather them grab or create new IPs rather than grab sequels or something. Ain't need dat shiz. Don't think it needs an achievement system either. Pretty sure they just let it up to the developers to put achivements in. Sonic all stars racing has them for example. They don't really add anything to the experience imo. A month ago i'd be of the opinion that they don't need to drop the Wii U price but with the PS4 being around £80-100 more on average maybe it should drop a tiny bit. Maybe a drop in the US is neccessary as everywhere else gets screwed over price wise by the PS4. As for the VC thing I think that'll happen in time. Maybe they'll push for it after they've pushed out the summer update (if that even comes.. >.>) I don't like pokemon at all so i don't want an MMO but people seem to want it and i get why so..that's on them : |
  • BladedFalcon - July 8, 2013 11:49 a.m.

"Never bought a Nintendo system for 3rd party titles. Don't really think anyone does. " Pretty sure that back in the day for the NES and SNES, when, y'know, they actually DID have proper 3rd party support, people probably did buy them because of third party games :P I mean, your statement is kinda dumb honestly, OF COURSE people don't buy Nintendo systems for 3rd party games... Because their 3rd party support has been underwhelming ever since the N64. If for once, Nintendo did turn it around and came up with a strong or even a third party lineup that was one par with the other consoles, I betcha that would make a LOT of people buy more Nintendo consoles, for both the third party titles AND the exclusives. Heck, that's what happened with the DS and the 3DS, the reason Nintendo has done so well with both systems now and that they have destroyed Sony's portable both times, is because they have a good library of games that aren't not only first party exclusives, but 3rd party as well. So... Yeah, you might wanna think about your assessments a little bit more in the future :P
  • Talvari - July 8, 2013 4:17 p.m.

: | Wish I had the ability to edit comments that I make. Didn't realise half of that top statement was a bit of an over generalization. Regardless it varies from console to consoles as to what they require in order to sell well during a given period of time. Honestly their 1st party titles coming out over the next 9 months or so will more than likely sell more units than any of the 3rd party titles coming out. I mean...new 3D mario with multiplayer? DK, Windwaker HD, Mario Kart... I just think their priority should be marketing their upcoming 1st party games alongside the 2 Platinum Games titles as well as finding a way to sell the Wii U to people who think it's a damn accessory addon because doing a bit of research on the product is too hard. I mean don't get me wrong I think 3rd party games are important and I hope Nintendo are branching out to them as we speak to prepare something for their next nintendo direct, but I think the push for marketing their major games for the rest of this year is more important. Also the xbox/ps3 have kinda been out for yonks so i think it's a little unfair to ask that they have 3rd party support to rival theirs. : |
  • BladedFalcon - July 8, 2013 4:32 p.m.

Just because the first party games will sell well, doesn't mean that'll help get more consoles and more adopters which is what every 1st party manufacturer should be the most concerned about. And focusing on only making first party games while neglecting 3rd is just not a good strategy. For proof, you should only look at the N64 and the GameCube, both of which didn't sold nearly as much as Nintendo would have liked. The Wii only got away with it because the novelty of Motion Controls alone swept the world away, and Nintendo sold a TON of consoles thanks to normally non-gaming people. But this also meant that these people didn't really buy that much software for it, and as we're seeing now, they aren't blindly supporting Nintendo with the Wii U. The thing is, I don't think there's really a good excuse for Nintendo not having a good 3rd party library aside from their own choices or them refusing to try and get more support. I mean, Microsoft did it almost right off the bat with the 360 despite being the relative newcomer in the industry. And 3rd party publishers in general always prefer to sell their games in as many platforms as possible. So if they aren't doing it for the Wii U, it's because either Nintendo isn't giving them enough incentive, and/or they isolated themselves from it by making a console that will be technically inferior, and thus harder to just port to. And in the case of the Wii U not getting more current gen 3rd party games, I'm gonna go ahead and suspect it mainly had to do with the fact that they may be requiring developers to do something with the tablet. Considering that most third party games that have come out for it have some tacked on feature for it. And of course, most other companies won't fucking want to bother to do that. But if these are the cases, all of it is totally Nintendo's own fault.
  • garnsr - July 8, 2013 11:05 p.m.

I wonder what the value of Nintendo being a manufacturer is, instead of just being a game developer? They don't get money from other companies developing for their machines. They could make peripherals for the other systems to do the odd things they use every now and then, since most people don't seem to buy that many different Nintendo games that require peripherals, the core gamers buy the ones that don't need waggle or whatever anyway. Maybe being behind technologically helps them, since their games seem like throwbacks most of the time, and they wouldn't be able to keep up at the same level doing whatever the current gen is. If the new systems are able to spread things out a bit more, so it's not just AAA or nothing, maybe Nintendo will hop into the next gen without having to progress too much.
  • BladedFalcon - July 8, 2013 11:33 p.m.

"They don't get money from other companies developing for their machines." Er... actually, they do. I can't claim to know how much, but I'm pretty sure that any company wanting to sell their games on a console, has to pay a fee to the console manufacturer, so you definitely would WANT to have a much people developing for your console.
  • garnsr - July 9, 2013 9:26 a.m.

I meant, since almost no one wants to develop for Nintendo systems anymore, Nintendo isn't making as much money off of third parties as they used to. If they don't have that, and the system doesn't do anything that Nintendo's own games require, why not spread out and become a third party?
  • BladedFalcon - July 9, 2013 9:58 a.m.

Ahhh, right! well, in that sense, yeah, I completely agree with you. But don't let the Nintendo fanboys hear you, or they'll cry heresy :P
  • Talvari - July 9, 2013 5:15 a.m.

...:| Of course first party games selling well will get more console sales... I could almost guarantee there are people holding out to buy a Wii U until Zelda or Mario comes out. Maybe even waiting until Mario Kart next year, hell some people might even be waiting for Monoliths title. I mean If they had an FZero out on the market with 16 player online or a new metroid that went back to its prime roots the console would be doing a lot better off, that can be backed up by posts all over miiverse expressing their desire for a new title in those series of games. But like i said, i'd like to think they're currently trying to grab a 3rd party for exclusives since I don't think multi platform 3rd parties will sell the Wii U compared to other consoles because...well you just don't buy a Nintendo product to play assassins creed or call of duty or any of the other ports. They're just added bonuses at this point. They announced a bunch of 3rd party games at E3 along with a bunch of indie stuff, and well to be honest Wii U and PS4 are gonna be the places to be for indie titles for consoles as they're looking to be the easiest to develop / publish on. Wii Us been confirmed for that so far as the indie devs are allowed to manage pricing to a degree and put on sales. Again my point is really that they just need to focus on marketing the Wii U and their core titles over the next 9 months while perhaps secretly getting deals with 3rd party developers to wow us in a future Nintendo direct. Developers jumped at the opportunity to develop for the DS, why not Wii U? I doubt it's the technology holding them back as I think some developers could really come up with some fascinating uses for the gamepad because god it needs it. It's probably just Nintendo being lazy and not approaching anyone, but again I really hope they're trying to branch out to at least a few while the marketing and push to release their 1st parties comes about. I think it'll be interesting in the next 6 months to see how the Wii U sales turn out. I mean honestly it's speculation from both of us as we don't really truely know how it will go. Mario 3D coming out around christmas time especially is a pretty good choice. I just hope Nintendo can do the marketing correct to support it.