Topics

Top 7

• PoisonWar - July 8, 2013 12:43 p.m.

Actually, I was wondering, how is the online on the Wii U? I got an original Wii and the online is downright horrid. Maybe It's something nintendo should look into before doing big steps such as a pokemon mmo.
  • shawksta - July 8, 2013 12:55 p.m.

Depends on the game, Brawl is horrible, Fortune Street backfired, killing the.chances of Mario Party getting online but games like Pokemon.Battle Revolution(The first online game on the Wii), and Mario Kart works like a charm. 3DS worked better than Wii, but it all depends on the games and effort. Wii U's online isn't a problem, its the amount of people playing certain games like Black Ops 2 when the entire install base is already on other systems
  • wingsdjy - July 9, 2013 12:21 p.m.

Out of curiosity, how did Fortune Street backfire? Hacking/cheating?
  • shawksta - July 9, 2013 3:39 p.m.

Its more of a case where it didnt seem actually good to play a board game like Fortune Street Online, too much stalling, especially when the online starts lagging and Fortune Street is a complicated game in general that all the time spent turns out not really worth it. Mario party on the other hand can work perfectly with online but they will have to do it right and let it fix itself if one asshole decides to disconnect, which was one of the problems of Fortune Street since it was fixed on the amount of people.
  • talleyXIV - July 9, 2013 4:28 p.m.

I'm pretty sure the next Super Smash Bros. online mode is going to be absolutely awesome. I think they figured out how to do online play a little too late, Mario Kart is some of the most fun someone can have online. And you are right about games like Call of Duty, games that aren't exclusives are just going to be ghost towns because most people (myself included) realize that Xbox and PS have better party/online systems.
  • shawksta - July 9, 2013 4:32 p.m.

Kid Icarus Uprising's online kicks Brawl's in the Ass Sakurai knows what he's doing.
  • rainn'sgaydar - July 8, 2013 12:38 p.m.

I really can't believe they still haven't implemented some sort of achievement system. Do we need more online petitions? Let's all go start some online petitions.
  • XNam360 - July 8, 2013 4:06 p.m.

Yes, please. Where do I sign up?
  • Fireninjastar - July 9, 2013 1:08 p.m.

Achievements, Achievements. Here's 40 dollars for putting your socks on.
  • Redeater - July 9, 2013 1:36 p.m.

Exactly. Achievements were a novel concept at the beginning but if you feel that your worth as a gamer needs some arbitrary score so you can feel validated...... "I got 10 points by killing 3,000 people with a wet noodle....it only took 20 hours" "Oh, I got 10 points by pressing start on The Simpsons Game..."
  • XNam360 - July 9, 2013 9:04 p.m.

"Arbitrary scores" are as old as gaming itself. Even in the days of Pac-Man and Space Invaders, players competed to get more points than each other. Don't act like that's anything new.
  • Redeater - July 10, 2013 12:28 a.m.

Except no one ever got points in Pac-Man by completing some insipid task while playing Zaxxon. Whenever you hear people talk about gamer scores they are talking about their score as a whole. I have listened to many hours of gaming podcasts and as I said above....when arguing and comparing gamer scores.....no one says... "well I have 800 points in Gears." There are almost 200 episodes of Tdar that prove this. Feel free to give them a listen.
  • XNam360 - July 10, 2013 9 a.m.

Are you sure that you're arguing against achievements, not in favor of achievements? If gamerscores are being discussed in "many hours of gaming podcasts" and "200 episodes of Tdar," that's pretty clear evidence that people care about achievements and enjoy talking about them. If you don't care about achievements, fine. But other people obviously do. And that's why Nintendo should care too. Even the article says so.
  • Redeater - July 10, 2013 2:20 p.m.

They also talk about how it they don't give a shit about their score in later episodes....thats's kind of the reason I used "novel". I don't know anyone that cares about their "scores" anymore. If you are into pointless scores you must be really excited for that 0g day one Xbone achievement. :)
  • XNam360 - July 10, 2013 3:30 p.m.

Well, it's a little late to say you "don't give a shit" after talking about it for 200 episodes.
  • Desann - July 8, 2013 12:13 p.m.

These are some good ideas, but I agree, they're kind of no-brainers. It just speaks to how poorly Nintendo is being run. But the thing is, I don't even want them to get good Wii U exclusives. Their hardware and services are sub-par already, and they're going to be even more sub-par by the end of the year. Nintendo consoles have literally been second-rate for a good long time; they're supplementary, not primary. A necessary evil when you want to play Mario or Zelda. If they were to start appealing to me again and get a lot of exclusives that I give a crap about, they'd be making the evil more necessary. I know that's how it all works, and it's fine, except I'm just saying that it still sucks that their hardware and services are terrible. Even if they were to make enough good games on the Wii U for me to get one, I'd still be grumbling about how much better it would be for everyone--including Nintendo--if they would have made those games for the good consoles instead.
  • LEGOMatrix - July 8, 2013 12:04 p.m.

I have to agree that every single point on this list would bring me closer to buying and using a Wii U. I'd say, if any three of them happened, I'd take the plunge. If they all happened, Nintendo could totally turn it around again!
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - July 8, 2013 11:58 a.m.

no pokemon mmo please
  • Redeater - July 8, 2013 11:57 a.m.

I actually prefer that Nintendo stays without achievements. Unlockables like those on the 3DS might be nice but I really don't want to see a point system. Nintendo is one of the few companies left that almost always include in-game rewards for completing objectives. 100% a game like Kirby Epic Yarn was great. You get to unlock all sorts of bonus content. The last thing I want to see is bonus content being taken away and replaced by meaningless points.
  • XNam360 - July 8, 2013 3:48 p.m.

That's a false dichotomy. Achievements are additional rewards; they don't replace in-game rewards.
  • Redeater - July 9, 2013 1:41 p.m.

And that's blind naivety if you honestly believe that there isn't a correlation between games having less extras these days and the rise of achievements. Collectibles used to unlock cheats or outfits. Now they give you a +20 score.
  • XNam360 - July 9, 2013 5:02 p.m.

Oh, really? PS3 & Xbox360 games don't have any unlockable content? Only Nintendo games do? I've never heard that one before.
  • Redeater - July 10, 2013 12:17 a.m.

I'm not saying it's the case for every game (you should know better) I'm saying that MANY games have taken the EXACT scenario I just laid out. GTA 3,VC, SA: Collect all the collectibles....get an unlockable power ups at your base. GTA 4: Collect all the collectibles.......you get 50 points....and that's it. That's some fucking coincidence. This is just one of many games that have switched to points instead of traditional rewards.