Topics

Top 7

• chavbuster1 - July 9, 2013 7:16 a.m.

Damn you Nintendo for buying out the Monster Hunter franchise from Sony! Was the only reason I bought a Vita and now it seems I'll need a DS...
  • pl4y4h - July 8, 2013 11:43 p.m.

If they did number one and somehow got a hold of the rights to Split/Second to make a sequel, I would buy a Wii U yesterday
  • pl4y4h - July 8, 2013 11:45 p.m.

sidenote: Are they still doing that stupid friend code thing? Is online even worth it? Cause if not they should fix that.
  • shawksta - July 9, 2013 1:14 a.m.

No, you dont have friend code bullshit in Wii U
  • larkan - July 8, 2013 9:34 p.m.

Luckily for me, a friend picked up a WiiU, so I can now play it anytime a good game comes out for free. The benefits of having friends that enjoy blowing money are so incredibly awesome. That feeling of "oh, that new Zelda looks amazing, I have to spend $350 to play it" is gone, now I just have to wait for that friend to pick up the other consoles and I'll be set.
  • shawksta - July 9, 2013 1:15 a.m.

Heh, i had the same situation with the PS3, i was set up with 360 and Wii but when a great First party Sony game comes around DAMN i hog his system more than i normally do because its not mine.
  • torre-sims - July 8, 2013 6:15 p.m.

i have been saying for the past few months that nintendo needs more 2nd party western studios. they need to buy wayforward, and platinum games (a eastern dev team), but Nintendo likes micro managing, and plus they're cheap. they like to cut corners when it comes to hardware and software. alot of the old guard is probably out of touch as well.. BUT i think ninty will be fine if they just expand or build more studios.
  • Twinkling82 - July 8, 2013 2:55 p.m.

You forgot one thing. Nintendo HAS to restructure their store(s). Wii, DS, 3DS and Wii U are meant to be easy, easy to understand for the casual gamer and the family mum. Three different stores and a confusing way to get your games to a new console is just plain stupid.
  • talleyXIV - July 9, 2013 4:23 p.m.

The Wii U store is really well set up, the 3DS... not so much. If they linked the two and made the 3DS' just like the Wii U's it would probably be the strongest of any console.
  • Twinkling82 - July 10, 2013 8:16 a.m.

The Wii U sore might be well set up, but from what I've heard, you still have to go to the Wii store to buy games there. As you said, link the two stores. This is what Sony does with PS3/PSV store - PSV doesn't show PS3 games though, but I think the PS3 store shows PSV games.
  • LBD_Nytetrayn - July 8, 2013 1:56 p.m.

Disagree in part on the Netflix-style thing. I think that works better for something like Sony's Gaikai on the PS4, when you were never going to have the game on your hardware at all. Virtual Console, though, I like that it's on my system and-- pending technical difficulties-- will always be there. Then I can count on being able to play even after games like SimCity and the Donkey Kong Country trilogy are pulled from the service.
  • minimaxi - July 8, 2013 9:39 p.m.

I actually really like the idea, it doesn't have to be cloud based, it could be just some type of online license a la ps+ instant game collection, when you no longer subscribed you can't play it. (Actual ps+ subscribers can correct me on this?) yes ideally you should still be able to actually buy the game. But seriously with their library any flavor of classic game 'rentals' would bring serious money to their pockets. Oh and the service should be universal across ninty's consoles
  • Frieza - July 8, 2013 1:33 p.m.

I think a Pokemon MMO is a much tougher concept to tackle than most people think. While the concept itself seems like a no brainer (who doesn't want to be a Pokemon Trainer in a world filled with other Pokemon trainers?(And I mean actual trainers, not trainers like Younger Joey)), GF would have to get very creative with the execution. A Pokemon MMO won't work if it's too similar to the core games, since the core games were designed for single player. You would basically be playing Pokemon B/W or Pokemon X/Y with scenes like cluttered overworlds, 20 people huddled around a single gym leader fighting for their badge, and 30 people running around with a Mewtwo or Arceus in Pallet Town. It's scenes like those that make me wonder if a Pokemon MMO would actually work the way we would want it to. Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean that the Pokemon franchise can't have an MMO of its own. I think the Pokemon Mysery Dungeon series would work much better as an MMO than the core games. Heck, even Pokemon Ranger would probably work better as well. I just don't see a Pokemon MMO where you play as a Pokemon Trainer happening without some serious modifications to the core game mechanics. Maybe it's just my lack of imagination that makes me think this, but I don't want another Dragon Ball Online...
  • shawksta - July 8, 2013 2:20 p.m.

"another Dragon.Ball Online" YEEEESH
  • tracyskretta - July 8, 2013 4:54 p.m.

pokemon mmo would be sick if they had a good and bad side like wow, where you could like work with pokemon researchers or be in team rocket. to make mob trainers they could simply be sprites that are attached to pokemon and wild pokemon would obviously be easy to execute. bosses would work more like traditional pokemon battles and would take the player to a seperate area for an event like in the old republic. like each gym would work like a raid but would be single player
  • JaiGuru - October 22, 2013 4:55 p.m.

This whole post was nothing but an exercise in apologetics for the fact that modern game publishers are creatively bankrupt. Yes, it would take some WORK and CREATIVITY to make a Pokemon MMO. How tragic! Genuinely tragic is that you seem to think this state of affairs is something you should defend.
  • PoisonWar - July 8, 2013 12:43 p.m.

Actually, I was wondering, how is the online on the Wii U? I got an original Wii and the online is downright horrid. Maybe It's something nintendo should look into before doing big steps such as a pokemon mmo.
  • shawksta - July 8, 2013 12:55 p.m.

Depends on the game, Brawl is horrible, Fortune Street backfired, killing the.chances of Mario Party getting online but games like Pokemon.Battle Revolution(The first online game on the Wii), and Mario Kart works like a charm. 3DS worked better than Wii, but it all depends on the games and effort. Wii U's online isn't a problem, its the amount of people playing certain games like Black Ops 2 when the entire install base is already on other systems
  • PoisonWar - July 8, 2013 1:47 p.m.

Good to know, thanks a bunch.
  • wingsdjy - July 9, 2013 12:21 p.m.

Out of curiosity, how did Fortune Street backfire? Hacking/cheating?