Topics

Top 7

• PhantasyPopStar - November 20, 2012 11:21 a.m.

i know this will be deleted soon but this is both hilarious! and defo the worst/best one i've seen yet
  • PhantasyPopStar - November 20, 2012 11:26 a.m.

aww it's gone... it truly was priceless though..
  • ada-petty - November 20, 2012 9:12 a.m.

If they push for the use of the Wii U Pro Controller (you know the one that looks like a 360 controller...) then surely that would support it? With an actual traditional controller, and HD graphics, surely all the major third-party developers could work with the wii now that it has an actual decent controller. Sure, I like the Game Pad, but I'm sure I, and many others, would yearn to just play a Nintendo first-party game with lovely traditional controls instead of new-fangled ones.
  • ObliqueZombie - November 20, 2012 8:39 a.m.

I hope it does well, but judging by the quality of some of the third-party games, it won't tank high in my book. HOWEVER. If they release/announce another Legend of Zelda for it, or a Metroid (Prime), color me jealous. I'll buy it in a heartbeat. But at this point, I'll stick to my Xbox and my PC. I'll definitely get one in the future, but unless it's library becomes stronger and stronger, I might not look into it just yet.
  • amagasakiseb - November 20, 2012 8:28 a.m.

It depends what people mean by "winning" a generation. If we are talking about pure undiluted hardware sales : Yes, the Wii won by a long stride. If we are talking about a library of quality games: I would say the Wii came in at a healthy last place. Maybe winning for the execs is all about the sales, but for us it's all about the games and I never saw enough quality games to make me want to buy a Wii.
  • amagasakiseb - November 20, 2012 8:17 a.m.

Even though Nintendo is trying to be creative (and I'm happy they're doing that), I'm just not interested in the Wii U at all. Perhaps it does have something to do with how mainstream and annoying the Wii was in the first place. The fact that it's even still got the prefix "Wii" annoys me actually lol. I've looked at the console reviews and I've looked at as many videos as possible but I just can't get myself to like it.
  • amagasakiseb - November 20, 2012 8:08 a.m.

I reckon they're trying to differentiate themselves enough to the point that they still have a viable console when Apple does come in with its own console. It IS going to happen in the nearish future so don't think it won't! In the short term they need to worry about Sony and Microsoft of course but in the medium to long term I would say Apple might prove to be a huge threat to all 3 of them. Apple can probably beat all three at the power game but Nintendo has a flare for creativity. That's probably why Nintendo goes for the creativity and not for the power because it's something that can be replicated very easily without violating patents etc.
  • Xtapolapopotamus - November 20, 2012 7:59 a.m.

I don't have a Wii U yet because there's no real reason for me to buy it. Its success for me really depends on how much support it gets from third party developers, and how willing they are to make use of the Gamepad. Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate Super Turbo Championship Edition and Bayonetta 2 are two very large incentives for me to get the system, as well as the prospect of an HD Mario and Zelda, and an HD Smash Bros (PS All Stars will have to tide me over in the meantime) are all exciting. The system just can't get by on hopes and dreams alone, however. It COULD very easily win this new generation of consoles, but it has its work cut out for it. I'm glad they got rid of stupid friend codes and actually have online, but I just don't see multiplayer games working best on the system or having anywhere near the huge crowd that 360/PS3 get. Add achievements, unlockable things (perhaps in Miiverse?) and other reasons for people to play systems on Wii U over PS3/360.
  • SuperSDizz - November 20, 2012 7:03 a.m.

For this divisive topic, it all depends on how you choose to look at it. If you want to measure the merits of these machines based on creativity, then Nintendo is surely your answer. How tempting do you think it was for them to just release another wii with even more waggle and bull? Judging by sales, probably very tempting. But this console is different. Judging by what happened this generation, Microsoft and Sony will just once again re-hash their machines. Nintendo's consoles have almost always been all different, and they might always be. Anyways, reviews for WiiU launch games have been pretty good so far. As long as this trend continues and 3rd party support once again flourishes, this console will at least be better than the wii.
  • JarkayColt - November 20, 2012 4:03 a.m.

Decent list, because, at the least, you pointed out why each of these things could go either way. Number 1 and 6 contradict each other pretty horribly though. You said you wanted devs to embrace the pad in a meaningful way, but then said you don't want Nintendo to get too tied up in it? If anyone is going to use that thing right, it's Nintendo first party! Also the first point about Wii winning before is pretty void, because if that were the case Nintendo would have a blummin' unbroken winning streak by now. Also the fact the PS3 kinda flopped after the PS2's runaway success is another cause for trepidation. I still hope to pick one of these up after the dust has settled though. Nintendo march to the beat of their own drum, so often it's useless to make comparisons. I'm sure plenty of people are content to own both a Nintendo system and whatever Sony or Microsoft think of next. Nintendo's kind of like a side dish that goes with everything, and you can make room for it no matter what.
  • codystovall - November 20, 2012 2:49 a.m.

QVC wont help you this time nintendo even the old people know they dont need another wii.
  • BackwaterRifle - November 20, 2012 12:52 p.m.

This comment has made my day.
  • larkan - November 19, 2012 11:23 p.m.

I'm just not seeing it. The marketing campaign (and initial wow factor) for the Wii was a lot stronger than for the Pii-U. In my small town, Wii's were sold out on launch night, and there's reports of people just walking into normal stores the morning after launch in BIG cities and just buying one. Nintendo conned us all out of our money with the gimmick that was the Wii, and I think now that other consoles (and soon PC) have said "Hey look, we can do that shit too", no one really cares about a console that, by PC standards, is being branded as "new" and is now 8 generations behind graphically, and has a whopping 32GB of storage. I can go out and build a new PC with 3 times the graphical horsepower, wider range of games, and about 50x the storage for about $100 more than this thing costs. What a bunch of garbage.
  • SpiritTemple - November 20, 2012 2:54 a.m.

Graphics aren't everything, aslong as they arent blury or anything than they are fine, and the Wii U graphics are awesome, so no problems there. And you can use portable storage devices (Upto 3tb I think). Wii U> PC
  • yoyoguy - November 19, 2012 10:40 p.m.

I don't care much for the system itself or any of its little gimmicks, but the exclusive games make me want it. Bayonetta 2, Pickmin 3, some other first party nintendo stuff. I really wish Bayonetta 2 was on another system so I wouldn't have to think about spending about 300 dollars to play it. At least she is in Anarchy Reigns.
  • larkan - November 19, 2012 11:18 p.m.

Give it 6 months, when the companies start to see the system fail, they'll port it to other consoles to make some money back.
  • wheresmymonkey - November 20, 2012 1:38 a.m.

They can't, Nintendo are funding its development and publishing it. Bayonetta 2 is a wiiU exclusive and always will be.
  • ollyn - November 19, 2012 9:49 p.m.

Let's face it, this is a hard one to call. It doesn't have the outright appeal that the Wii had, it's control scheme isn't as open as natural movement and the gameplay proposition is sitting back and playing again, so it lacks the instant exercise enthused nature of the original (no matter how little exercise it actually gave you). So I doubt this one will be flying out to Mums and grandparents like the wii did. It's main appeal is the tech infused secondary screen. My thoughts are that this will appeal to tech people like me but not as much to those who bought the Wii in their droves. On the other hand that market never really bought that many games, and given that Wii-U is a loss leader, Nintendo will want it to sell games. Nintendo is a great brand name and has it's own niche of apple like followers who will buy what they produce then upgrade when the next iteration comes, and for good reason. It also has a stellar collection of first party brands which are generally attached to great games like Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin and Pokemon. Fundamentally it all depends on what Sony and Microsoft produce. There is a good chance Nintendo can undercut them on price which is always an advantage, but if once again they are left with the Wii-U will requiring scaled down versions of PS4/Nextbox games it may struggle especially if it fails to resonate with that special Wii audience which could be disaster anyway if they don't buy more games this time round. That said it's hard to bet against Nintendo they may have created the Virtual Boy, but they did also create the DS and Wii.