• egregious - August 23, 2011 9:25 a.m.

The best Legend of Zelda game, the best Mario game (Yoshi's Island), and the best Final Fantasy (IV) game are on the SNES. Nuff said.
  • egregious - August 23, 2011 9:53 a.m.

Oh man. Batman Returns on the SNES was an awesome beat 'em up. The Adventures of Batman & Robin was much nicer looking on it too than the Genesis version.
  • practicallyhitler - August 23, 2011 9:44 a.m.

The moment I saw this title, I knew it was Brett's last top 7. Fantastic article, btw. This is the kind of thing that keeps me coming back to GR. You'll be sorely missed, Mr. Elston. That said, my parents wouldn't let me get an SNES, but I did buy 5 or 6 games to play at friends' houses, and they were all fantastic. Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, and Mega Man X made sure I spent most of those few summers away from home. I wound up permanently borrowing a buddy's SNES once he got a PS1, b/c I was still obsessed w/ Chrono Trigger. Show Capcom what your made of, you Magnificent Bastard. Also, try to make it back to Tdar once in a while, will you?
  • shawksta - August 23, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Yeah, the SNES is no doubt one of nintendos best and has reasons to be true. Each of their consoles always have something that makes them incredible. I like how nintendos doing what they did in the past. The DS changed the handheld gaming generation which had a big effect outside it and had probably the hugest variety, reminder of Gameboy starting handheld gaming. Now the 3DS is enhancing the DS, with mainstream 3rd party to increase its variety, much like GBA enhancing Gameboy. WiiU is also nintendos second home console with its predessesors name since SNES, WiiU has a HUGE potential that can change gaming, and with heavy 3rd party, its possible were looking at the next SNES!
  • TheTrooper424 - August 23, 2011 11:02 a.m.

So true!
  • Pruman - August 23, 2011 12:30 p.m.

The SNES is my favorite system of all time (although the 360 nearly ties it), and celebrating its 20th birthday definitely makes me feel a little old. I was but a lad of 8 when that heavenly gray box came out, and even though Nintendo Power had accomplished its mission by getting me to beg my parents for one like a madman, my SNES wouldn't come until Christmas Day 1991. When I unwrapped it, along with my copy of F-Zero, I was in nerdy kid heaven. I've got too many SNES memories to list here, but here are my favorite ones: -Thinking LTTP was over after I beat Agahnim, only for the game to surprise me with 8 more dungeons; -Hours upon hours of Battle Mode with my friends in Super Mario Kart; -The first 20 minutes of Super Metroid, from the title screen to exploring bombed-out Zebes from the first game; -Playing Star Fox and being FLOORED by how pretty and cool it was; -Having my 11-year old mind BLOWN by how good-looking Donkey Kong Country was -The entire game of Final Fantasy VI/III, but ESPECIALLY the opera house part; -Playing Donkey Kong on my Super Game Boy. I need to stop, I could go on forever. Happy birthday, SNES!
  • IceBlueKirby - August 23, 2011 12:32 p.m.

I never had a SNES until around 2001, but when I finally got one I realized what I'd been missing. Super Mario World is easily my favorite Mario game, A Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda, Super Metroid is my favorite Metroid...you get the idea. Plus I LOVE Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger, so it's home to my two favorite RPGs of all time as well. The SNES is a triumph of gaming, and it's a shame that today Nintendo fails to live up to the standards it set years ago. Not that I dislike their systems after the SNES, mind, just that none of them quite deliver the same variety and quality when it comes to the library of games available.
  • Colicub - August 23, 2011 2:47 p.m.

My personal favourite is the Gamecube, but maybe that's because I am a SEGA child through and through. Not that the SNES doesn't have some utterly incredible games in its library, and it is the superior system for JRPGs (not that the Mega Drive doesn't have some great ones), but for me it's the Mega Drive all the way.
  • NightCrawler_358 - August 23, 2011 2:53 p.m.

The SNES is definitely Nintendo's best console, but I'd say the best overall would be the PS2, but thats just my opinion.
  • Jrm21 - August 23, 2011 3:36 p.m.

This makes me extremely sad that i was born in 95 and never got my gaming stride til 2000
  • newgames128 - August 23, 2011 3:37 p.m.

The glory days of gaming.
  • newgames128 - August 23, 2011 3:37 p.m.

The glory days of gaming right here.
  • birdman1041 - August 23, 2011 4:47 p.m.

For those who lament the high price of games today (usually $59.99 on launch day) I kid you not - I purchased an old copy of Wave Race 64 yesterday for 5 bucks and in the box was the original receipt from Toys R Us for $64.99. Think I'll be getting a bit more gameplay out of the new Deux Ex for less than that.
  • lilspooky - August 23, 2011 5:09 p.m.

I am part of the Nintendo generation, and i couldnt agree more with this article. SNES is still my all time favorite console. Mostly fueled by nostalgia at this point. However sprite based games have a timeless quality to them. PS1, PS2, and N64 didnt age well at all, many of the titles are unplayable at this point. I still play through a few SNES games here and there.
  • FauxFurry - August 23, 2011 6:50 p.m.

Either great minds think alike or Brett Elston and Chad Concelmo are the same guy. http://www.destructoid.com/why-the-super-nes-is-the-best-console-ever-created-207604.phtml Whatever the case is,that's cool.
  • soranamineforever - August 23, 2011 8:01 p.m.

RPGs. The one reason the SNES beat the ever-loving crap out of the N64, Gamecube, and Wii. Seriously, other than Tales of Symphonia, can any of you name me a notable RPG that was released on these consoles (outside of Japan)? Actually, I can. Xenoblade Chronicles. Where the ass is your review of that game?
  • InfinityPrimo - August 24, 2011 3:49 a.m.

Wow. My favorite game of all time Chrono Trigger has only recently been eclipsed by a game going by the name of Mass Effect. Chrono Trigger is the best damn RPG of ALL TIME and it was on the SNES. Jeez I miss those times. They can't be recreated only revisited, but nothing was like being a kid playing Super Mario RPG, FFVI, Chrono Trigger,Street Fighter II, F-Zero, Super Metroid, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, DAMN!!!! Every single classic, which is why PS2 is like the true spiritual successor to the SNES. No other system comes close to the depth of a true video game experience. I'm so glad I grew up with it.
  • snothammer - August 24, 2011 1:44 p.m.

I actually never owned a SNES when I was a kid. So, a few years ago I bought one and have been loving it ever since. If I could only ever play one console for the rest of my life, I think the SNES would be it.
  • snothammer - August 24, 2011 1:48 p.m.

Damnit I thought my comments weren't posting. Wish I could delete my stupidity.
  • Vault101 - August 24, 2011 5:57 p.m.

Great Article!
  • grayguwapo - August 24, 2011 9:16 p.m.

I agree with this... (and great article by the way)... I'm a solid Playstation gamer but I have to pay my respects to Nintendo SNES. Truly this console was without a doubt the ONE that put gaming where it is now... This came out before PS, XBox, Wii, etc. and it came out with a bang... I had this console and so did all my friends so game time with anyone was really great! I also had SEGA's megadrive and genesis and these weren't at par with SNES, my friends and I would always resort to playing SNES over other consoles due to it's sheer great game library... great job with this one Nintendo and happy anniversary!