• Pocotron - August 22, 2011 6:44 p.m.

Last! (going from newest first)
  • meh - August 22, 2011 7:12 p.m.

What you did there, I see it.
  • D0CCON - August 22, 2011 7:47 p.m.

And replying to your comment makes you not last.
  • Pocotron - August 23, 2011 12:30 p.m.

Stop that.
  • db1331 - August 22, 2011 6:54 p.m.

It really did have some amazing games. When you talk about titles that are as close to perfect as possible, you have to mention Link to the Past and Super Metriod. I don't think I could name one fault in either of those games.
  • InfinityPrimo - August 24, 2011 3:50 a.m.

those damn speed shoes in Link to the Past!! Naw jus jokin, that is a perfect game. Super Metroid...HA! Nuff said
  • ninjaemperor - August 22, 2011 6:56 p.m.

I can't wait to hear you guys talk about it on tdar! Brett's ending his GR history on a very high note T.T
  • D0CCON - August 22, 2011 7:11 p.m.

I'd also say that this was the only time where the older console's graphics looked better than the newer console. I'd take SNES sprites over N64's 3d characters that were only allowed 8 polygons or so any day.
  • Gotxxrock - August 22, 2011 7:11 p.m.

Forgot one thing Brett, the movie tie-in games were actually fun to play back then too!
  • meh - August 22, 2011 7:12 p.m.

I was never alive for the SNES, but its still one of the most fun things I've ever done when I finally got my hands on it. Great Article.
  • 8bitBaby - August 22, 2011 7:21 p.m.

yeah... i remember watching my stepdad play super metroid and going "this is sooooo much more intense than the nes one." it really brought across atmosphere well. 20 years... has it really been twenty years? gosh. time... where does it go?
  • Rubberducky - August 22, 2011 7:30 p.m.

SNES brings back memories, I remember playing SFII endlessly but the one that made it great for me was Super Mario World
  • Baron164 - August 22, 2011 7:34 p.m.

Yeah I'd definitely say the SNES was Nintendo's best ever console. I loved the FX games even if they look like garbage now.
  • jasoncarter - August 22, 2011 7:40 p.m.

As a retro gamer I must say, folks, they really don't make them like this anymore. The nes and the snes made me the gamer I am today. Nintendo, along with all the other developers, thank you!
  • burnsideking24 - August 22, 2011 7:47 p.m.

the song for Chrono Trigger makes me regret me never playing it fully... gonna play the DS rom for it now! or maybe the SNES rom... hmm...
  • Nintygameplayerperson - August 22, 2011 8:36 p.m.

Download it on Virtual Console! It's so awesome!
  • Corsair89 - August 22, 2011 7:47 p.m.

The SNES probably had the best line of RPGs of any console to date.
  • LoganDeckard - August 22, 2011 7:55 p.m.

Coming from someone who's Super NES was his first console, all these points are pretty spot on. Damn fine article Brett. Sad to know this is your last top 7 but, I couldn't think of more appropriate topic. Gonna miss you man.
  • Skeletortilla - August 22, 2011 8:07 p.m.

Those "modern RPG hybrids" are some of the closest things to actual RPGs that consoles have had yet. I've never played a JRPG that was any more a role-playing game than Halo. Technically, both have a role for you to play, but almost zero influence on the story. Leveling up and having stats and loot =/= role-playing.
  • shawksta - August 23, 2011 9:58 a.m.

I completely agree, right now, the DS/3DS is the true RPG games best place to be, it sucks how random genres add a level system, call it RPG and then act as if it revolutionized it.