Topics

Best of GR

• theglove - May 10, 2013 7:16 p.m.

I thought that smug bastard Edgar Ross or even Dutch were more memorable villains in Red Dead Redemption then Bill Williamson. I also think that the original incarnation of the Nameless One from Planescape: Torment deserves a mention. While they never say what he did, whatever it was was so horrible that he needed immortality in order to have enough time to repent for it. Also Jack Thompson for being video game's real life arch-nemesis for all those years.
  • shawksta - May 10, 2013 8:36 p.m.

I agree on Edgar Ross and Dutch but Bill was the main head right from the beginning with Dutch coming late game and Edgar being right in the end for no reason. Bill had that surrounding notice and that was your main goal, thats pretty much why.
  • shawksta - May 10, 2013 5:48 p.m.

This was an awesome list! Funny how both the top spot in the 100 series for Heroes and Villains were from the same series but you guys put good points. I dont think Bowser gets enough Justification for his spot. His personality in general and in the RPG's make him more than what he seems. Wanting to destroy any new threat to the Mushroom Kingdom thats not him, and while basically it was from the help of Mario and Luigi, Bowser Single Handledly saved his Kingdom and the Mushroom Kingdom despite having so many people including his own minions throw him off and treat him like shit. Surprised Hades from Kid Icarus Uprising wasnt here, he was the whole bane of everything that happened, and his personality and dialogue was just off the hook.I will say Medusa was much more sinister and evil than him for -short-than-half-of-the-game-they-couldve-ended-with-but-didnt but frankly Medusa was only alive because of Hades in the first place and was used by him as Puppet. Also we need a Pokemon Representative and Ghetsis takes the top for being one hell of a villain with one hell of an evil plot right from the start from N's childhood and his pyschotic insane personality in the sequel only pushed out of what kind of person he is. It was really the best thing i ever seen Gamefreak do considering all the other villains just get more dialogue in their 3rd version of the same event.
  • shawksta - May 10, 2013 7:30 p.m.

Also suprised Gruntilda from Banjo Kazooie/Tooie isnt on this list. Capturing your sister Tooty just to make herself beautiful while Tooty becomes an ugly monster isnt nice. And Gruntilda in general has a, how should i say it, buildance throughout the game. Throughout her lair she's constantly above you, talking about your progress and you learn to hate her up until that final showdown with her. and Banjo Tooie is no difference as if there's one thing, Gruntilda became much more eviler and just flat out Killed bottles when she wanted Banjo dead. She terrorized Jinjo village and zombified their king and just wants to use her giant ray gun to get rid of Spiral Mountain.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - May 13, 2013 11:01 a.m.

It's also very uncomfortable to find yourself attracted to Gruntilda during the Game Over sequence lolol
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - May 10, 2013 5:48 p.m.

Shit yeah illusive man! I think Gunther Hermann or to a lesser extent Anna Narvarre, both from the first Deus Ex were great villains.
  • shinitaru - May 10, 2013 5:08 p.m.

So, you thought that Ryan was a better villain than SHODAN?? Really?
  • Relayer71 - May 10, 2013 4:58 p.m.

Come on, Kain (of Legacy Of Kain) should be MUCH higher on the list. Not so much for his traits but for the wonderful realization of the character thanks to the wonderful Simon Templeman and the awesome writing in that first game.
  • WILDMUSTANGX - May 10, 2013 4:52 p.m.

Zehanort from the Kingdom Hearts series! He's taken different forms and gone by several names, including Ansem and Xemnas; But regardless, he's always an over-powered, badass, lord of darkness and fighting him and his counterparts is always epic and irritatingly difficult!!! Also Sigma from the MegaMan X series! He takes the form of a virus that can inhabit the body of any robot, so he just keeps coming back, bigger and badder than before!
  • CyrusDragonZero - May 12, 2013 6:48 p.m.

*Spolier* Considering that it is actually a version of Xehanort that is the secret fight in Birth by Sleep then yeah I'd have have to give him a pretty high slot. Possibly the hardest fight in the series for me.
  • jared-studelska - May 10, 2013 4:33 p.m.

The first fallout game was made by Black Isle and owned by Interplay, not Bethesda.
  • StrayGator - May 10, 2013 4:12 p.m.

As a child, my greatest videogame villain was bedtime (can't be reasoned with, can't be bargained with...) nowadays it's dubstep.
  • StrayGator - May 10, 2013 4:32 p.m.

Ganon was one of the first names I thought about when seeing the title. #1 seems a bit high at first, but thinking for a second it kind of makes sense. who else i'd put in there? space invaders the dog from duck hunt ridley kotick serpent riders (heretic/hexen) your past (braid) doritos pope adrian ripburger (full throttle / mark hamill) Xan Kriegor / Xaero (1999)
  • N0Scarfs - May 10, 2013 3:49 p.m.

These lists are always fun and I understand they're your opinions, but I knew Bowser was going to be in the top 10 and... really? Not sure how you decided on these, but I never looked at Bowser or Donkey Kong and felt the same way I felt when encountering Comstock or even Skull Kid. I understand they're great villains for the games they're in, but they're not overly evil, brutal or scary. Even the Yeti from Ski-free is scarier (good call on that, by the way). I also don't think of many fighting game characters as great villains, probably because the stories are usually so convoluted and seem like an after thought. I can see Shao Kahn or M Bison on a list of "Most Annoying Mother F***ers," but I'm not sold on this list. Fun read. Gave me something to think about, but I feel like the list is a little uneven. Thanks for the article though.
  • avantguardian - May 10, 2013 9:23 p.m.

i think, on bowser's behalf, even though he's kind of a joke, he was the first villain that many gamers faced, and therefore was the standard set. you can't f with nostalgia.
  • N0Scarfs - May 10, 2013 9:48 p.m.

No doubt he's played a big role in gaming history. I'm just not sure he qualifies that high up in a list of the BEST villains. Again, I think I'm coming at this list from a slightly different place. GR seems to be taking a lot into consideration. If I made this list it'd be full of villains who're evil, smart, immoral, and terrifying. Solely based on the "You're a sick mother f***er" scale.
  • FlyinMachine - May 10, 2013 3:24 p.m.

Atlas or Frank Fontaine or Frank Gorland or whatever alias he uses, now a days, from Bioshock or even Sophia Lamb from BioShock 2. I'm surprised Sephiroth wasn't up there but I don't exactly wish he was there lol. How about Isaac's own mind in Dead Space 2? General RAAM or the Locust Queen in Gears of War series America when you play Civilization V (lol) Mom in The Binding of Isaac? Otherwise, this list is pretty decent! Good job, GR :)
  • lancelot110 - May 10, 2013 10:41 p.m.

Sephiroth was around number five, IMO rightfully so.
  • BladedFalcon - May 10, 2013 3:22 p.m.

OH YEAH! Steven "Don't fuck with this Senator!" Armstrong has to be my favorite villain of this year so far :D Also, I'd complain and argue how just like Link in the Heroes list, Ganondorf doesn't really deserve being on the number 1 spot. But eh, you guys at least hit the mark with putting Kefka on Number 2, so I'll let it slide :P Kinda surprised you guys didn't put Booster from Super Mario RPG, he was a fantastic crazy wacko. Also, No Golbez from FFIV? I'm not that huge of a fan of the game, but even I recognize that he was a first class asshole, and best of all? he got away with everything he did in the end :P Lastly, one I'm not surprised you guys didn't put in here, but is one of my personal favorites would be Sho Minamimoto from The World Ends With You. An megalomaniac psychopath with a penchant for math and math related insults and that yells everything he says with a megaphone? Hell yes!
  • obviouslyadouche - May 10, 2013 8:35 p.m.

You just became my favorite person on the site, Sho Minamoto was so great, and the hardest boss in the game.