Topics

Best of GR

We Recommend

• Relayer71 - May 10, 2013 4:58 p.m.

Come on, Kain (of Legacy Of Kain) should be MUCH higher on the list. Not so much for his traits but for the wonderful realization of the character thanks to the wonderful Simon Templeman and the awesome writing in that first game.
  • WILDMUSTANGX - May 10, 2013 4:52 p.m.

Zehanort from the Kingdom Hearts series! He's taken different forms and gone by several names, including Ansem and Xemnas; But regardless, he's always an over-powered, badass, lord of darkness and fighting him and his counterparts is always epic and irritatingly difficult!!! Also Sigma from the MegaMan X series! He takes the form of a virus that can inhabit the body of any robot, so he just keeps coming back, bigger and badder than before!
  • CyrusDragonZero - May 12, 2013 6:48 p.m.

*Spolier* Considering that it is actually a version of Xehanort that is the secret fight in Birth by Sleep then yeah I'd have have to give him a pretty high slot. Possibly the hardest fight in the series for me.
  • jared-studelska - May 10, 2013 4:33 p.m.

The first fallout game was made by Black Isle and owned by Interplay, not Bethesda.
  • StrayGator - May 10, 2013 4:12 p.m.

As a child, my greatest videogame villain was bedtime (can't be reasoned with, can't be bargained with...) nowadays it's dubstep.
  • StrayGator - May 10, 2013 4:32 p.m.

Ganon was one of the first names I thought about when seeing the title. #1 seems a bit high at first, but thinking for a second it kind of makes sense. who else i'd put in there? space invaders the dog from duck hunt ridley kotick serpent riders (heretic/hexen) your past (braid) doritos pope adrian ripburger (full throttle / mark hamill) Xan Kriegor / Xaero (1999)
  • N0Scarfs - May 10, 2013 3:49 p.m.

These lists are always fun and I understand they're your opinions, but I knew Bowser was going to be in the top 10 and... really? Not sure how you decided on these, but I never looked at Bowser or Donkey Kong and felt the same way I felt when encountering Comstock or even Skull Kid. I understand they're great villains for the games they're in, but they're not overly evil, brutal or scary. Even the Yeti from Ski-free is scarier (good call on that, by the way). I also don't think of many fighting game characters as great villains, probably because the stories are usually so convoluted and seem like an after thought. I can see Shao Kahn or M Bison on a list of "Most Annoying Mother F***ers," but I'm not sold on this list. Fun read. Gave me something to think about, but I feel like the list is a little uneven. Thanks for the article though.
  • avantguardian - May 10, 2013 9:23 p.m.

i think, on bowser's behalf, even though he's kind of a joke, he was the first villain that many gamers faced, and therefore was the standard set. you can't f with nostalgia.
  • N0Scarfs - May 10, 2013 9:48 p.m.

No doubt he's played a big role in gaming history. I'm just not sure he qualifies that high up in a list of the BEST villains. Again, I think I'm coming at this list from a slightly different place. GR seems to be taking a lot into consideration. If I made this list it'd be full of villains who're evil, smart, immoral, and terrifying. Solely based on the "You're a sick mother f***er" scale.
  • FlyinMachine - May 10, 2013 3:24 p.m.

Atlas or Frank Fontaine or Frank Gorland or whatever alias he uses, now a days, from Bioshock or even Sophia Lamb from BioShock 2. I'm surprised Sephiroth wasn't up there but I don't exactly wish he was there lol. How about Isaac's own mind in Dead Space 2? General RAAM or the Locust Queen in Gears of War series America when you play Civilization V (lol) Mom in The Binding of Isaac? Otherwise, this list is pretty decent! Good job, GR :)
  • lancelot110 - May 10, 2013 10:41 p.m.

Sephiroth was around number five, IMO rightfully so.
  • BladedFalcon - May 10, 2013 3:22 p.m.

OH YEAH! Steven "Don't fuck with this Senator!" Armstrong has to be my favorite villain of this year so far :D Also, I'd complain and argue how just like Link in the Heroes list, Ganondorf doesn't really deserve being on the number 1 spot. But eh, you guys at least hit the mark with putting Kefka on Number 2, so I'll let it slide :P Kinda surprised you guys didn't put Booster from Super Mario RPG, he was a fantastic crazy wacko. Also, No Golbez from FFIV? I'm not that huge of a fan of the game, but even I recognize that he was a first class asshole, and best of all? he got away with everything he did in the end :P Lastly, one I'm not surprised you guys didn't put in here, but is one of my personal favorites would be Sho Minamimoto from The World Ends With You. An megalomaniac psychopath with a penchant for math and math related insults and that yells everything he says with a megaphone? Hell yes!
  • obviouslyadouche - May 10, 2013 8:35 p.m.

You just became my favorite person on the site, Sho Minamoto was so great, and the hardest boss in the game.
  • Civfanatic - May 10, 2013 3:16 p.m.

One minor correction: In the entry for The Master (great villain) it's stated that Fallout was made by Bethesda, when in fact it was made by Black Isle Studios. One glaring omission in this list: Jon Irenicus, from Baldur's Gate 2. When i was scrolling i excpected to see him in the top 20 at least. Best story and motivations ever, best character development for a villain ever, best voicover ever. The only virtual character i ever came to hate.
  • Technomancer - May 13, 2013 12:35 a.m.

Definitely Irenicus "No, you warrant no villain's exposition from me, I have what I needed from you."
  • JarkayColt - May 10, 2013 2:22 p.m.

Nice list. In my opinion, I think Dr. Nefarious from Ratchet & Clank deserves a spot on the list somewhere though. I would give a reason, but I don't feel like I need to.
  • ExtraCheese - May 10, 2013 3:59 p.m.

I was thinking this too.
  • jose-garcia-rodriguez - May 10, 2013 2:22 p.m.

Halo 3 - prophet of truth and The gravemind should be here Dragon age - Loghain , maybe
  • KA87 - May 10, 2013 2:17 p.m.

Well to name a few that could be added 1. Slender (best troll ever) 2. Nemisis 3. Issac Clarks GF in Dead Space 2 (she's so evil) 4. The Mooseman (Amiesa) 5. SCP 173 (don't blink or you die) 6. Enderman 7. Henry Gilbert (lol just kidding) I think Slender should definetly be added, but your list is very good.
  • Cyberninja - May 10, 2013 2:07 p.m.

Caius from FF 13-2 should be here, he actually succeeds with his plan to end the world and he is a very noble person on top of that, plus so idiots hate FF13/FF13-2 so throw salt in there wounds for the week of hate.