Chapter 4 | Southern Mexico
- Ride the bike down the obvious path until the cut-scene shows you an object through a window of a stone temple.
- Use the series of ledges on the stone pillar in front of the temple to get onto, and then scale, its front wall. Grapple onto the gold hook and then abseil down the front of the building. It will pull a switch opening a door to your right. Wall run across and grab the ledge and pull yourself up and into the temple before it falls shut again.
- Inside, pick up the Jaguar Head on the plinth ahead. Now exit the building by chimney jumping into the room above and then using the ledges to work your way to the ground outside. Beware of a black panther attack.
- Hop back on the bike and continue past the temple through the ruins and down some steps through a long tunnel. As you emerge from the tunnel head up to the temple ahead and park up. Cut-scene.
Game Section: Xibalba
- You'll be standing facing a large open area, in front of you is a lever attached to the ground in the middle of a large circular stone structure with a skull on a plinth next to it. Place the stone Jaguar Head into the top of the central lever. Now the puzzle.
- The aim here is to line up the three black sections of the stone circles (Mayan Calendar). When Lara operates either lever the camera shifts into the same position. Our directions are given from this angle - with the camera facing her.
- Line up the two outer rings so the black sections face away from Lara towards the middle of the open area, using the central lever. A clunk noise will be heard when this is done.
- Now use the skull lever to disengage the smallest central stone circle (push the column as far left as it will go). This will also move the outer ring.
- Line up the middle ring with the second largest ring, which will still be in position.
- Finally, return the outer ring to its position by pushing the skull lever back into position again. You'll need to do the exact same thing again on another Calendar which is in the structure opposite you.
- Get back on the bike.
- Continue round the path jumping a ramp, then avoiding a pit of spikes by taking the left path past it. You'll reach a crossroads. Right heads into the base of the open area you were just looking at.
- Take the left through a tunnel. Park the bike up when you can go no further. You will arrive at another temple and see a group of men being attacked by panthers. Shoot them all. If you stand in front of the temple at the bottom of the first set of steps you'll find a pole leaning against the right hand wall.
- Use the pole in the in the socket in the far left pillar as you face the building. Now follow the obvious path across the pillars using ledges, briefly using the front of the temple as a climbing wall before negotiating a set of beams to get you across to the gap in the temple wall. Use the two bars on the first pillar to reach a third bar opposite and then pull up.
- Head left and use the grapple point to get down inside the temple.
- Head through an archway and then up to a platform that's opposite the grapple point. Stand directly opposite the grapple point and fire your rope. Now walk slowly right so the rope has hooked around the top of the pillar in the middle of the room. Stop and pull the rope using X. This will topple the block causing it to smash a big hole in the floor, revealing a vault underneath.
- Head down to the hole. Enter by the ledge on the right of the stone pillar as you face it. Drop down to a ledge, steady Lara with triangle and then drop again to the climbing wall.
- Continue to descend using the pillar behind you to reach the vault floor. Head over to the altar-like structure on the opposite wall and retrieve a skull. This is needed to activate the second Mayan Calendar
- Now exit the vault. Jump to the broken pillar to the left of you as you face your original entry point from the altar. Climb it and then use ledges and then a climbing wall to make your way round the top edge of the walls.
- When you reach the end of the climbing wall, jump backwards to the pillar and then onto another climbing wall. Jump up to the ledge, then across to the ledge you entered with. Leave the temple by heading through the small gap above the door. Murder the three goons outside and head back to where you left the bike through the dark tunnel.
- Drive the bike down the path to the crossroads again and take a left. You'll reach another temple ruin with two goons shooting at you. Jump off the bike and deal with them.
- Head up the steps at the far end of the temple to find a pole. Move the stone block underneath the gold metal hole in the wall that's to the right of the barred door. Use it to put the pole in the slot.
- Now move the block back a bit and use it to jump onto the pole pulling it down and opening the door. As you let go it will slide up again so you need to do a quick jump roll under the gate. This leads you into the second Mayan Calendar room. Place the skull on the plinth and repeat the same sequence of rotations as before.
- You are on a timer now - the entrance that has opened up is only there for a couple of minutes so dash back to the back ignoring the jaguars that attack and speed back to the entrance. Drive in for a cut-scene to begin.
Game section: The Midgard Serpent
- Heading the way the bike is facing after the cut-scene, take a ride down the steps (only one route) and be ready for a ramp. After the ramp, stop, and you'll find some poles. You can't go any further on the bike, so stop and use the poles on the left. (Before you do this line the bike up with the gap ahead with a run-up.)
- You need to wall jump to get to the higher pole. Jump to the ledge and it will move down, bringing up a ramp for the bike to jump. As you do this be ready for some ugly ass giant insects to come at you. That done, continue down the steps to a large musty room with seven stone statues sat round a circular stone
- Find the pole with a gold end in the middle of the room and place it in the hand of either of the pole-less statues. The other pole is up the flight of stairs opposite where you entered. Put that in the other statue with no pole.
Now four of the seven statues will have moved their poles to a horizontal position. Lara can rotate them to open the doors that are directly behind them. Rotate them all now.
To identify them here and follow the same route we took, stand directly between the two floor switches in front of the entrance you came into, facing the middle of the room and the statues.
From the first statue to your right count round counter-clockwise. So the first is statue 1 (first on Lara's right) and statue 7 is the statue on Lara's left. 1, 3, 5 and 7 have horizontal poles. We'll tackle them in the order we did them.
This one's a bit of a sketch to get into. Head up the steps behind statue 3 and jump to the beam on the left. Climb on top of it and jump to the ledge on the pillar opposite. Shimmy round to see a tubular narrow pillar and jump to that. Now jump to the climbing wall and down a bit to leap backwards to another bar.
Swing across to the next bar and stand on it to jump to a ledge and then another narrow tubular pillar. Jump across to the ledge on the larger square pillar and shimmy round until you can jump up onto the bars above. Make your way across the two bars, drop down onto the ledge to reach the beam next to the entrance and head inside.
This is hard to start off with. To get past the fire, time your run past the first horizontal flames and then jump on top of the bar, now watching the vertical flame the left. Take the left path to the back of the room and retrieve the first stone tablet. To return, go left using the short bar to get height and then go right, timing your final swing jump by the far right flame. Head back to the main room and place the tablet in its corresponding hole.
Head up the steps to find a load of moving stone walls. To get through the obstacle, time your sprint (L1) just as the first set of stones open, then do a jump roll. Retrieve the tablet.
To exit safely, pull the block down that's above the exit using the grapple and it will jam in the mechanism. Lara can use this to stand on and be protected, making the escape easier. Head to the main room down the steps and insert the tablet in the relevant slot in the table.
To get to the entrance use the grapple point to the left of it, then jump to the sloped ramp and grab a ledge before you fall off the bottom. Head down the dark passage and crouch under the fallen rubble. Retrieve the tablet and then head back to the main room to be attacked by giant spiders. Place the tablet in the relevant slot in the table.
Head to the area with the columns decorated with skeletons. Behind them, use the narrow cavity in the wall to chimney jump to the top and then use a ledge and a climbing wall to reach the top ledge. Shimmy round and note the other climbing wall on the opposite side of the cavity.
Jump across (tricky) then make your way round the climbing wall until you reach one of the columns. Jump to it and then climb to the top until Lara is on top of it. Make your way between the three columns to end up on one of the main pillar ledges and shimmy round to two bars opposite statue seven. Use these to reach the final pillar ledge, jump to the beam and then jump into the entrance. Why couldn't they have just had steps?
This chamber is easier than it looks, dodge the big spikes and just crouch under the guillotine blades. To get out after the mechanism stops use the obvious-ish climbing wall on the right as you face the exit to climb over the railings.
- Now head back to the table with the tablet.
Once all the tablets are in place drive the bike onto one of the two floor switches in front of the exit which has now opened. Stand Lara on the other.
- Head down the passage on the bike and use a ramp to jump rubble until you reach an area where you can’t go any further.
- Pick up the Serpent’s head and climb through the gap in the rubble.
- Head down to the steps to the waterfall room. Don't jump in! It looks lovely, but is deadly.
- You'll be attacked by Thralls so deal with them.
- That done, head over to the back of the dragons head thing that the water is spewing from. Climb up behind it and jump onto the bar attached to its snout. It will close his mouth and the water level will drop.
- Go back to the entrance to the waterfall room and use the ledge to work your way down a pillar towards the water, shimmy round the back of the pillar and quickly swing across between the pillars to a platform. (The ledges will crumble if you hold them too long, so be quick).
- Now jump up onto a beam and walk along it (again, it will fall apart so be hasty). Jump the few broken beams and then get onto dry land at the far end. THRALL attack!
- Where you reach a small channel of water, jump across to a ledge, pull up and shimmy round, then chimney jump to the high ledge before jumping across to a beam behind you.
- Make your way across the channel and jump down. Continue to find a block and then jump up on to it. Use the grapple point on the underside of the dragon's head. You'll need to hit triangle just as you jump off or you'll swing into the blue stuff. Swing to the opposite side.
- Use the grapple to pull a piece of stone towards you to make a ledge accessible. Use it to cross to the other side of the blue channel, via the ledge on the pillar. Jump backwards onto dry land. THRALL attack!
- Now using the same trick as before, climb the ledge behind the dragon's head statue and jump onto the bar on its nose to lower the water again.
- MORE FRIKKIN THRALL!
- Climb down the two ledges on the furthest pillar and jump backwards on to the middle platform.
- THRALL. More of 'em.
- Use the grapple to turn the central screw into the ground at which point a door will open in the giant statue above you. Use the pillar with a ledge to jump across to it and retrieve Thor's Belt.
Game section: Land Of The Dead
- Use the gauntlets to pull the glowing blue pillar into its slot and then use the grappling point to get to the next level up. This triggers the water supply again so be quick about it! You'll be attacked by Thrall again. Head over to the obvious ledges and make your way up and across to a beam.
- Drop down for the inevitable Thrall attack and then climb onto a platform opposite the top of the blue glowing pillar you moved earlier. Bet you're glad you moved it now, right? Jump to it, then to the next platform, then to the hand of the statue.
- Use the grapple point to swing to the ledges you originally entered the area via (be quick, because it'll trigger the flow of water again) and get out of that hell hole.
- Head back to the bike and head up the steps using the gauntlet to move a stone blocking your path. You'll come through the room with the statues from earlier and then head up again, stopping briefly to bring the ramps up again, using the method as before.
- When you reach the switch at the very top, add the Xibalba object to it and pull it. This opens the doors to freedom. Ride out with enough momentum to clear the gap.