Has Star Wars: Episode VII found its villain? The Fades ’ Jack Thorne writing Sandman , rumoured Masters Of The Universe directors and much more in the Thursday news round-up
• Top telly writer Jack Thorne (creator of The Fades ) has been hired to write the screenplay for the upcoming adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s Sandman , Deadline reports. He’ll be working from a treatment by The Dark Knight ’s David Goyer. Joseph Gordon-Levitt serves as producer on the film and is expected to star as Dream.
• After the departure of GI Joe: Retaliation director Jon M Chu late last year Sony has whittled the names of potential Masters Of The Universe reboot directors down to four, according to Collider . Harald Zwart ( The Mortal Instruments series) is said to be the front runner, with Jeff Wadlow ( Kick-Ass 2 ), Mike Cahill ( Another Earth ) and Chris McKay ( Robot Chicken ) all being considered. The Lone Ranger ’s Terry Rossio wrote the most recent draft of the script.
• HBO has release 20, ahem, stark character posters to promote Game Of Thrones ’ imminent fourth season. The mighty Tyrion features below along with the words Valar Morghulis (all men must die). See the whole lot over at Winter Is Coming .
• In not-all-that-surprising-really news Marc Webb has confirmed he’ll be back in the director’s chair for The Amazing Spider-Man 3 . Still no word on who’ll direct the already-announced fourth film. Sony’s Amy Pascal also told Variety that "We are expanding the Spider-Man universe into the Sinister Six and Venom , so that we have Spider-Man movies every year." Expect a whole lot of web-slinging in a cinema near you.
• Marvel has announced that their four Netflix series (featuring Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist) will all film exclusively in New York, in and around Hell’s Kitchen. The characters will reportedly cross paths during each 13 episode season before teaming up for eight episode mini-series The Defenders . Drew Goddard’s Daredevil series will be the first in front of cameras and is expected to debut in 2015.
• Once upon a time The Matrix producer Joel Silver was attached to the big screen adaptation of Watchmen for director Terry Gilliam. Zack Snyder was the man who went on to make the film, and Silver has been talking about he would have changed the ending, while taking a shot at Snyder’s overly-faithful adaptation: “It was a much, much better movie,” Silver says of his own un-made adaptation. “I mean, Zack came at it the right way but was too much of a slave to the material.” You can read more over on Total Film .
• Finally this impressive Batman versus The Terminator animation is well worth five minutes of your day.