Topics

WTF

• Nolidusk - September 24, 2010 4:31 a.m.

ico super stupid overrated game
  • Zepaw - September 24, 2010 4:58 a.m.

Several nails all hit directly on the head. Great article.
  • sepirothpk - September 24, 2010 7 a.m.

This article came across as whiney and while making a few good points was overloaded with rubbish comments and rude remarks attempting humour via the potty kind. I mean, what the heck, does this guy need an enema?
  • Skywalker007 - September 24, 2010 6:09 p.m.

Is it really necessary to bash ICO? There are much more worst escort mission.
  • elpurplemonkey - September 25, 2010 8:27 a.m.

I agree with everything on the list except Ico. Its inclusion just seems misguided to me. It reminds me of that old penny arcade comic- http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/9/6/
  • Shuuvuia - September 25, 2010 1:49 p.m.

Ico may have been frustrating at times, but the difference was that I actually really cared about Yorda. It made the whole thing go down a lot easier (considering it is a huge escort mission). I think that's why the game is so beloved. It's the experience much more than the actual, occasionally frustrating gameplay. Don't get me started on Resident Evil 4. I HATED Ashley. Hated her with every being of my soul. It made what probably was a better escort setup than Ico much, much more frustrating and un-fun. In other news, I think the two words that I have to type to post this message are "The crapperoff".
  • JosefMotley - September 26, 2010 12:28 p.m.

totally agree about lockpicking and hacking. HOWEVER... "Games both good and bad have tried to randomly inset stealth into their decidedly non-stealthy games - Beyond Good & Evil, Wind Waker, Uncharted... you could compile an entire list column out of games with pointless stealth." last time i played beyond good & evil it was approximately 80% stealth and 20% photographing things. so really it was a stealth game. there was nothing else to do in it's surpisingly tiny game map beyond that. i'm so, so sick of people hyping what was a best forgotten clunker. just like ico, which should be rightfully reviled as a terrible terrible escort mission spun out into a whole pointless and actually quite ugly looking game. ico is like one long irritating puzzle that you'd barely tolerate if it was one room in a zelda dungeon - yet turn that awful idea into a whole game and for the next dull ten years people will be calling you an auteur. PAH
  • Skitter - April 13, 2011 7:57 a.m.

I agree with some, I don't agree with others. Lockpicking. I am a big fan of Oblivion, personally. I don't think lockpicking is that much of a waste of time, because just walking in and grabbing something in the middle of the night isn't realistic. It's realistic that people would have locks on their house doors. As long as there isn't a lock on every door and they aren't to hard to pick, it's fine by me. They should make it eaiser to get lockpicks, though. Hacking. I've never really played much games with hacking, but if it's like lockpicking, I think the same. Stealth. I don't really get what you mean by "non-stealth game", so I can;'t really have an opinion. Climbing. I agree it's annoying, having to climb all the time. Why can't people think of a better way up? It's getting old. Nice ideas, though. :)
  • Skitter - April 13, 2011 8:09 a.m.

As for the second page- -Alchemy It really depends on how easy the things are to find. In Oblivion, all you need is to join up with the mage's guild (talk to someone in the mage's guild, it's easy) and then find some alchemy equipment and pick it up. Equipment, done. As for ingredients, practically every plant can be harvested from. Fly aminata and cairn bolete are everywhere. It's just matching them up that takes time. -Hammering buttons to open things Waste of time. Lockpicking is something realistic, but hammering a door down isn't really at all like lockpicking. -Escorting I hate that too. You have to do it in Oblivion too, but at least they are smart enough to follow you, but they are so dumb they will just walk into a wall instead of going around it, and you have to go back and make them walk in the right direction again. Things I would add: -Traps. You get yourself hurt because you were walking and didn't stare at the ground all the time. WTF?! -Idiots. In Oblivion, sometimes they give you a quest, and immediatly afterward ask you if you have whatever they wanted or have found whoever, or whatever they asked you to do. I HAVEN'T EVEN STOPPED TALKING TO YOU!!! They should make people smarter. That's all :) Nice ideas.