Topics

WTF

• Brutalicus - September 23, 2010 12:08 a.m.

Stealth is annoying ONLY when it's the only way to get through a game. I had a great time shooting my way through MGS4 the first time, then stealthing through later. Likewise with Uncharted, I tried to stay quiet and snap as many necks as I could before I was inevitably spotted and the grenades started flying. And climbing... at least Uncharted gave you some epic backdrops to look at, and it was pretty hard to mess up (and be forced to re-do). Just played Uncharted 1 & 2 for the first time this week and I must say, finally my PS3 really earned its spot next to the console that keeps Mass Effect 2 safe inside it (as much as I dislike Xbox).
  • Grif - September 23, 2010 12:05 a.m.

The only time I actually enjoyed and felt something for the person I had to guard was probably guarding Cereza in Bayonetta
  • sleepy92ismypsn - September 22, 2010 11:48 p.m.

About the last paragraph...fuck you Jim Sterling. If you can't appreciate Ico for what it is then don't play it. Go back to destructoid you peice of shit.
  • Grr_Badger - September 22, 2010 11:48 p.m.

My god seriously this article is really dead pan. Gamesradar gets me through my days at work the UK gamesradar articles are brilliant informative and enjoyable....... Then the US stuff comes along and is just a bunch of un enjoyable sentences. There is no passion or relevence to the article what so ever. GamesRadar UK - Love you guys GamesRadar US - Pull your thumbs out or just go make your own website.
  • Eliath - September 22, 2010 11:26 p.m.

@FauxFurry The old Infinity Engine D&D games had a Knock spell that let a mage open locks for you. I agree with your comment. Also, reCAPTCHA is getting ridiculous as many users have stated. Sorry for the double post.
  • Eliath - September 22, 2010 11:24 p.m.

Jim, glad to see your articles here at gamesradar. I agree with pretty much everything, especially the escort missions and the stealth missions. I hate when developers come up with some crap story like in the start of Uncharted 2 where "I don't want to kill anyone", so rather than killing someone that sees you and escaping you just let yourself get a game over. Total suckage, especially when I have to wait since it's a crap stealth timing section. I just wanted to shout at Mr. Drake and call him a giant wuss. I hate lockpicking, too. It makes sense that you need to pick locks in RPGs, but developers should just make it like Baldur's Gate or even automatic with the right class around i.e. Neverwinter Nights. Baldur's Gate just needed a rogue in the party and a button press to use a thief "skill" on the lock and you were done, unless your thief sucked. So it felt like you were breaking into things without slowing down the game. In Neverwinter if you clicked on a locked item and had a rogue in the party, they would say something to your character, walk up, and unlock it.
  • FauxFurry - September 22, 2010 11:23 p.m.

The one thing I never got in games with functional magic and locked doors in the same place is why one can't just always use a lock-picking spell (true,the Elder Scrolls games have them available, but they should be basic for magic users)or just melt the locks while stronger characters could just 'finesse' any pesky locking mechanism in between them and glory. Climbing isn't that bad in games with super powered characters as you pointed out with Prototype or its spiritual predecessor, Hulk:Ultimate Destruction (hey,I don't mean 'spiritual' in that way! Stan Lee forbid that such an accusation be leveled at an Incredible Hulk game! No deep introspection there. It's not an adaptation of the Ang Lee Hulk movie, after all.)Judging by the demo of that game that Talk Radar has been promoting, Blade Kitten, a character with cat's claws can climb up walls as naturally as running down an incline if not more so. Man may be a type of primate, but they should probably leave the climbing in games up to robots,mutants monsters and cat girls from now on. As for escort missions, the most painful I can recall in recent years was in Resident Evil 5,an experience that many other people here seem to have shared only in regards to the opposite character. Nothing is worse than trying to babysit a muscle bound behemoth who refuses to stay back like a good boy and do what he's told, often shouldering right by Sheva, throwing off her aim if not obstructing it altogether. At least Sheva is small enough to stay out out one's line if fire most of the time and holds up the rear rather well. That silly All-American man always has to be the center of attention even as the AI sidekick! Off-topic:Is this reCAPTCHA thing trying to inform you that you've "earned ulacep"? If ulacep is the bane of spammers, you've earned it right in the nick of time.
  • boxmeizter - September 22, 2010 11:21 p.m.

PMS? Check yourself before you wreck yourself. agreed with the escort missions btw
  • ThePrivateer - September 22, 2010 11:17 p.m.

You know, I actually love climbing in games. I don't find it tedious or annoying. And as for ICO, it's not sacred (that's Okami), but it's damn fun. But I don't like these kind of articles - biased whining.
  • TruckThunders - September 22, 2010 11:04 p.m.

While I don't hate every game element in this article, I'll agree that all of them are getting old and overused. Good article, Mr. Sterling.
  • Gameguy94 - September 22, 2010 11:02 p.m.

I must disagree with lockpicking, hacking, and climbing I slightly enjoy climbing in games and the few hacking games I don't like are Bioshock's. Fallout 3's lockpicking actually feels pretty natural if you ask me.
  • ultimatepunchrod - September 22, 2010 10:53 p.m.

yea the climbing in all the games mentioned was good. and ubisoft made Assassins creed as well as PoP and the new PoP used the same engine as Assassins creed 2
  • Imgema - September 22, 2010 10:41 p.m.

Stealth in non-stealth games is annoying and boring as hell. And i always hated that mission in Goldeneye where you had to protect that lady (i forgot her name).
  • Triplzer0 - September 22, 2010 10:37 p.m.

I hate stealth portions! If I wanted a stealth game I'd get one...and there's a reason why I haven't yet. I don't like them. Stop shoe-horning these sections into my action games or my FPS games.
  • reverandglass - September 22, 2010 10:33 p.m.

I would argue that Uncharted was set up well for stealth and climbing is cool too in the right context. As for the Ico criticisms you're all souless. Before the game came out I was sent a postcard of Ico wrapped in bubble wrap with a note telling my to look after her and you know what I still do, not one bubble has been burst. I cannot wait for the HD collection.
  • Rojoco - September 22, 2010 10:32 p.m.

Leave ICO alone! >:(
  • garnsr - September 22, 2010 10:31 p.m.

This sounds like you mostly just want to run down corridors, blowing things away. I'd like to see an article about the things you like games making you do.
  • bradmillow0 - September 22, 2010 10:26 p.m.

I don't really mind lock picking. I don't like it, but I don't think its that bad.
  • Jacko415 - September 22, 2010 10:18 p.m.

FUCK GOD DAMN ESCORT MISSIONS! but the lockpicking in Fallout 3 wasn't so bad if you could just FIND SOME FUCKING BOBBY PINS! WHY WERE THERE CLOSE TO NO BOBBY PINS AND SO MANY DOORS!?!?
  • NightCrawler_358 - September 22, 2010 10:16 p.m.

I absolutely hate escort missions in games, especially if the person is yelling at you for help. If i wanted to hear an annoying woman in my ear all the time, i would be playing Ocarina of Time.(not saying it isn't a great game)