Topics

Top 7

We Recommend

• Netsurfer733 - December 8, 2009 8:47 a.m.

Icecrown. Yea, I'm a Lich King fan :)
  • CountFenring - December 8, 2009 7:57 a.m.

No Solstheim from Morrowind? That was by far my favorite snow area ever, I'd say I liked it better than the rest of Morrowind.
  • MoChilla - December 8, 2009 6:50 a.m.

The Thing: The Game and Extermination. Snowy, Alien games.
  • JustTheBoBreaker - December 8, 2009 6:01 a.m.

It's a really short level, but definitely a stand-out in a great game. In Bioshock, when Sander Cohen has you hunt down one of his apprentices who has hid himself inside an ice chamber. It wouldn't really fit into this top 7, but I still thought it was one of the coolest levels I've played when all the frozen splicers unfreeze and try to kill you. Great article Brett.
  • MexicAntista - December 8, 2009 5:59 a.m.

I thought that the snow level from Duck Tales would be included somewhere in this feature. I love the fact that when you use Scrooge's cane as a pogo in the snow you get stuck. Fun stuff.
  • Scotch - December 8, 2009 4:24 a.m.

best top seven ive read in a while, read it TWICE
  • NanoElite666 - December 8, 2009 4:22 a.m.

Nice to see the Phendrana Drifts from Metroid Prime mentioned here. That area was probably my favorite from that game, and the first time I walked into it was one of those "Wow..." moments (especially coming in from the fire zone).
  • MB2KSpicules - December 8, 2009 4:07 a.m.

Great article, as always. Much love for Contra: SS shoutout - I friggin love that game so much I got to where I beat it without continuing for the special ending.
  • Romination - December 8, 2009 2:52 a.m.

OK, fine, I'll admit that the levels feel the same, but we're agreed there's more to them than that. So there. Except those weird parts in, like, Advance where there's so much snow you can't run fast and underwater. It basically just palette swapping a backdrop. But each backdrop at least has something new to it!
  • crumbdunky - December 8, 2009 2:49 a.m.

The most advanced console snow is still in MGS4, imo, and it's about the only game where you can literally see your character getting colder(and olver) by the minute. The way they used it to aid Octocam was also amazing and you could sneak the whole outside level without being seen at all if you had the patience! Sure, there's mor white stuff in MGS but the quality of the chilliness in MGS4 is above anything else, imo, even U2's amazingly realised snow scenes and immeasuravly better than LP:EC's godawful knee deep "snow as treacle" levels! That said I was one of the few who didn't find the first LP hateful. But, whatever, to include MW2's cack handed attempts and miss out MGS4 is a joke, to me.
  • Bobbety - December 8, 2009 2:15 a.m.

This reminds me of a certain Paul Ryan feature.
  • UglyShirts - December 8, 2009 2:01 a.m.

Boo for no RE: Code Veronica arctic Umbrella outpost.
  • ChrisAntistaSmellsLikePizza - December 8, 2009 2 a.m.

OH man, how I fell in love with the winter part of Twilight Princess! I intentually screwed up puzzles and the like just so I could spend more time there cause I loved it so. Haven't play that game in forever, I need to put my Wii to better use now that I'm finished with Deadspace Extraction.
  • FETALJUICE - December 8, 2009 1:49 a.m.

Excellent top 7 article GamesRadar. You mentioned most of my favorite winter levels (or games).
  • Metroidhunter32 - December 8, 2009 1:43 a.m.

And it's texas and 70 here. No snow for miles
  • Metroidhunter32 - December 8, 2009 1:43 a.m.

brrr. Chilly now. Anyways, I'd expected Phenandra drifts to be ranked instead of just a wind chill and I was kinda looking for the ice level from Star Fox Adventure. It has mamoths for crying out loud, how do you get more artic. (p.s. good call on MGS) Ha, funny recaptcha "his types"
  • FriendlyFire - December 8, 2009 1:38 a.m.

Nice artice! My only addition would've been Crysis' frozen sequence. It gave very nice chills, especially after all this time hanging around in a paradise tropical island...
  • Ninja-KiLLR - December 8, 2009 12:59 a.m.

my favorite snow levels have to be resitance fall of man when you first get to london. (the snow fall looked very real) and in MGS 4 in shadow moses the second present time
  • nik41507 - December 8, 2009 12:53 a.m.

I am visit my relatives in San Francisco and its not super cold just foggy in a very un-California like fashion
  • nik41507 - December 8, 2009 12:49 a.m.

I live in warm, permanently sunny California so I have no idea what this "snow" thing you speak of. But I also enjoyed the "snow" level in Loco Roco 2