• thefreakysurgeon - September 20, 2010 8:21 p.m.

even though i personally didn't like DKC, i have to hand it to Rare. The water levels were pretty fun
  • Unoriginal - September 20, 2010 8:36 p.m.

Mario galaxy 2. Just Sayin
  • beardo180 - September 20, 2010 8:43 p.m.

i have always hated the swimming controls in the banjo-kazooie games, you either went too slow or too fast, and the handeling felt so clunky.
  • OnyxOblivion - September 20, 2010 11:01 a.m.

Clanker's Cavern is absolute shit. That's one of the WORST water levels. What the hell have you been smoking?
  • GR_DavidHoughton - September 20, 2010 11:37 a.m.

Shoopah: Me neither. Don't get me wrong, what I've seen looks amazing, but I had my heart set on a modern remix of the water level music. And now my heart cries a little bit.
  • EgonSpengler - September 20, 2010 11:50 a.m.

Clanker's Cavern totally blows chunks. How about any of Super Mario Bros 3's water levels? SMB3>>>>>>>>>SM64
  • EnragedTortoise1 - September 20, 2010 12:22 p.m.

I hate all water levels, Mario 64 ones especially. How the hell did Jolly Roger bay get in here? Such bad memories....
  • goochbiscuit - September 20, 2010 1:20 p.m.

Man, you guys went especially fucking crazy with the photos in this article. I love it, especially the Sean Connery one lol
  • crazyer - September 20, 2010 1:38 p.m.

@Hurricrane they did a top 7 worse water levels
  • ChrisAntistaShouldDeliverPizza - September 20, 2010 2:18 p.m.

Where are the Water Temple from Ocarina of Time (n64 and soon to be 3DS) and Great Bay Temple from Majora's Mask (n64) and why the heck isn't Lakebed Temple (Twilight Princess, GCN/Wii) in there as well?!
  • spawny0908 - September 20, 2010 2:58 p.m.

Alright I call bullshit on Jolly Roger Bay being on here!! I HATE that level! The only good thing about it is the kick ass music.
  • RazielArcanum - September 20, 2010 3:06 p.m.

I'd never actively thought about how much water levels pissed me off until now. I think I'd noticed a trend, especially in the Zelda games, but they tend to be well-executed with the mechanic of varying water depths and so on. You guys have such damn good features sometimes, even though I hardly ever play games anymore I really enjoy reading them.
  • 510BrotherPanda - September 20, 2010 6:29 p.m.

I don't like any of the 3d Mario water levels, mostly because the "realistic" air supply gauge is tied to your actual health meter in most of them. Mario 64's had the worst swimming/underwater camera controls out of them, too.
  • CH3BURASHKA - September 20, 2010 6:41 p.m.

Lol, I was about to post "NO DKC FAIL1!!1!", but apparently there was no need. The water levels were totally awesome, as was the swordfish (whose name I forget...).
  • Superkev45 - September 20, 2010 7:22 p.m.

No Aquas from Star Fox 64?! Now I've never been in a submarine but I'm pretty sure it's dark, frustrating and boring in one of those things! And they captured that perfectly!
  • elpurplemonkey - September 20, 2010 9:01 p.m.

@ ChrisAntistaShouldDeliverPizza You may be the only person on earth who actually likes the Water Temple from Ocarina of Time. I find all of the water temples in Zelda games to be rather boring. And this list was pretty good, especially the last entry. David motherfucking Wise- out of all his great compositions, the DKC water levels have to be the best.
  • ThePigHostage - September 20, 2010 9:08 p.m.

That Banjo level was my least favorite in the entire game. Hated it!
  • Samuel71 - September 20, 2010 9:11 p.m.

Man... DKC's water levels were definitely not what I would call blissfull and sublime. They were good, but fucking stressful. Croctopus Chase especially... most good horror games don't tense me up like I get in that level, with the croctopi after me. :/
  • johnthe5th - September 20, 2010 9:17 p.m.

I think the greatest water level in terms of ambiance, I'd say the underwater frigate in Metroid Prime wins. But it was such a pain having to slowly jump up that room every time you fall -_-. And @ChrisAntistaShouldDeliverPizza: That level would have been ok if you didn't have to constantly put on and take off the iron boots every 3 seconds
  • t3rry747 - September 20, 2010 10:25 p.m.

really no zelda water temple wtf