Topics

Top 7

We Recommend

• TheNobleRobot - November 11, 2009 8:34 p.m.

Okay. Kudos to GR for continuing its history of criticizing misogyny in videogames, but you really undercut your credentials when you consistently use the word "girls" to refer to "women." I always thought that subtle but degrading habit was abandoned back in the 1970s, thank you very much.
  • RedOutlive10 - November 11, 2009 12:45 p.m.

Great article. Damn I loved the witty nature of No One Lives Forever series. Screw FEAR, bring the old gems back.
  • mistervirtue - November 11, 2009 5:24 a.m.

You guys should do tasteful minority characters or more tasteful women 2.
  • FamousMortimer - November 11, 2009 5:08 a.m.

Come on, Elston... it's lewd, not lude! You're better than that. Topnotch article otherwise. Yes, I'm a spelling Nazi. Sorry.
  • LizarDAZZLE - November 11, 2009 3:15 a.m.

not to sound like everyone else, but man, Konoko from Oni coulda been on here. She was like Faith before Faith. And the hand-to-hand combat in Oni was amazing
  • Craza - November 11, 2009 2:30 a.m.

I'm glad you gave Hannah a little recognition at the end there. Ever since she petted my dog and strolled around in the Wellspring dungeon with me, I really started to like her.
  • wkdtkd - November 10, 2009 7:49 p.m.

Elena is pure awesomeness!! "Hi there...I'm last years model..." Genius!!
  • Baron164 - November 10, 2009 7:24 p.m.

I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned Cortana from the Halo series. Obviously she can't out do Alyx or Samus but I think she could have at least made the list. Maybe an honorable mention? I never considered her distasteful, there was never anything overly sexual about her character. Just my two cents though.
  • crumbdunky - November 10, 2009 6:53 p.m.

Good list and Samus should be top of a LOT more lists of many amazing and differing kinds. However, and despite her unusually long feet(though I just blame the style of high heeled slingback she favours)I'd always put Ada Wong in this kind of "strong woman in games" list. It's not like sh'es over revealing or over endowed in the chest and bum stakes-she just likes to kick zombie/mitant/parasite host ass in a crimson cocktail dress. Still, she keeps her own counsel and plays all the leading men of Resi ioff against each other with her own, very personal and mysterious agenda. So, yes, Samus is safe at humber on but there should have been a place for Ada and in the top 7 at that! Just saying but good work otherwise.
  • gmilf71 - November 10, 2009 8:02 a.m.

Oh I know this is a big, sexist problem in video games. And that mirror's edge thing is annoying. And I mean think about it. Do you really think a girl that looks like a super model would be fighting and doing shit like that? hell no. They'd be normal people. Like in the games featured in this article.
  • chinesesoldier - November 10, 2009 4:55 a.m.

My favorites are Faith and Elena. Faith has that "lived in the dark side of town" atitude. Elena is hot but not sexualized, unlike Chole. But, since most videogames are bought by men, women will apper everywhere. No gripes tho, just as long those pesky Japanese don't try to release another rape game.
  • TriforcePlayer - November 10, 2009 4:03 a.m.

Yay for Samus! Great article. Thanks for including Hannah and Elena
  • Megajamz - November 10, 2009 3:17 a.m.

good article always enjoy reading the top 7 at work to pass the time ^^
  • Corsair89 - November 10, 2009 1:28 a.m.

@Romination: You're thinking of Maya. Mia was the eldest sister who died and became a ghost in the first game and has her enormous breast practically busting out of her shirt.
  • Romination - November 10, 2009 12:43 a.m.

Samus from behind! (that's how i'd like to take her, WHOAAAA!!!!!) No suggestions because I can never think of anything. Except Mia from Phoenix Wright. She wears non-revealing clothes! (and is 15 or so anyways)
  • KnightDehumidifier - November 10, 2009 12:03 a.m.

I think you forgot a sort of anti-heroine/heroine that deserves a nod: Mona Sax from the Max Payne series. She's might wear tight-fitting clothes, but she's a smart, determined, and dangerous enough to sometimes rival Max.
  • TrigunGunner - November 9, 2009 11:48 p.m.

what about Eirika from Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones. She wasn't objectified in any way. she had caring personality to just about everyone, friend or foe. She never lost her temper and did her best to keep up the morale of her crew with comforting words. she may have stumbled along the way, especially when faced with Lyon (who had been her childhood friend and was now a host for the demon lord with his soul slowly being feasted upon) but she found the resolve to see these problems through. I Personally, I think she's the most tasteful and realistic women in any videogame, but I suppose she's not well known enough to be on this list.
  • Corsair89 - November 9, 2009 11:37 p.m.

I love these heroines. I really wanted Elena to be on this list. Oh well, still very good.
  • thefinalmax - November 9, 2009 10:23 p.m.

hybrid616: Meryl's position as a damsel in distress in MGS1 kinda takes away from her chances I think. She's not tasteless per se, it just feels to me like she lacks the independence of the other names on the list. Plus, she was the vessel through which Mantis tried to kill Snake (twice). And she kinda worships Snake in MGS1, and there are certainly some brownnosey moments in MGS4
  • Turbobison - November 9, 2009 10:20 p.m.

This isn't at all sexist.... NOOO THE MALE AGENDA HAS BEEN BREACHED!!