Topics

Halloweek

We Recommend

• Orionsaint - November 2, 2009 12:50 a.m.

You guys missed a good one. Rescue on Fractalus for the Atari 5200 and Commodore 64. Created by Lucasfilm games. Yeah prelucasarts. It was released between 1983 and 85. Yeah after the great Video Game crash and before Nintendo rose from the ashes like a Phoenix. Essentially the dark ages for console gaming. I picked it up at K-mart for $9.99. This was the first game to genuinely scare me. On the surface it seems simple enough. Your spaceship launches. You go through a planets atmosphere and shoot alien turrets over mountains. Occasionally a human needs rescuing. You land your ship and you watch as the human comes running towards your ship and comes onboard. Yay! You rescued him. Then you rescue a few more. Oh look here comes another human AHHH!!!! WTF!!! An alien pops up in front of the screen and smashes your ships window and you die. This comes as a total shock. No where does it say in the manual this will happen. It just comes out of no where. The first time it happened. I nearly fell off my chair and screamed like a little girl. From then on every time I picked up a human I was waiting for the alien to pop up. It was nerve wracking because it was random. So you never knew when it would happen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8opv5u9nf0
  • Orionsaint - November 2, 2009 12:51 a.m.

• TreyTable - November 2, 2009 4:17 p.m.

I played 'Haunted House' quite a bit on the Atari VCS (2600) although I was more interested in Warlords and Night Driver at the time.
  • vitoruss - November 2, 2009 8:42 p.m.

When I read about how you can get to grandmother's house in under a minute if you don't get off the path, I literally said, "That's genius!" The concept is so nice. A shame that the graphics don't have the same power to reinforce the type of experience. Playing a game like that with the realistic polish of a game like, say, Arkham Asylum, would be an incredible experience. Also, as a writer of short stories, the concept for "The Lurking Horror" really gave me inspiration for a new story!
  • deathrebellion - November 6, 2009 2:06 p.m.

The Path and the dark Eye looks gr8 i soooo wannna get them :D
  • dslayer99 - November 8, 2009 6:21 a.m.

OMFG!!! I bought that path game last week at half priced books!!! that thing is disturbing and gives you nightmares and i'm 22 years old!!! one time i followed the path the entire time and it was really nice and pretty but *SPOILER ALERT:IF YOU GO IN THE FOREST AT THE END, IN GRANDMA'S HOUSE YOU FALLIN A PIT AND DIE!!!* it's on youtube!!!
  • dslayer99 - November 8, 2009 6:33 a.m.

orionsaint, that vid on youtube is the opposite of scary, even if it had sound!
  • Spritle101 - November 23, 2009 5:03 a.m.

Illbleed looks fun. So does The Path.
  • nonamenomad - December 18, 2009 5:26 p.m.

Anyone ever played the Penumbra series. The only real weapon you have is sneaking and stealth.
  • nonamenomad - December 18, 2009 5:31 p.m.

Quick(ish) vid of the game. youtube.com/watch?v=gMffho0hv9I
  • gamefreakl1996 - July 22, 2010 8:21 p.m.

EDGAR ALLAN POE IS AWESOME I WANT "THE DARK EYE" SO BAD
  • gamefreakl1996 - July 22, 2010 8:21 p.m.

plus The Path looks good too!
  • threedog - October 27, 2010 4:16 a.m.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream was an amazing story...I really need that game
  • lilspooky - October 28, 2010 6:48 p.m.

I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream is only $154 dollars on amazon! what a deal. lol. http://www.amazon.com/Have-No-Mouth-Must-Scream-pc/dp/B0008EM0E2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1288291583&sr=8-4
  • holic237 - April 27, 2012 2:11 a.m.

I remember watching my dad play Illbleed when I was eleven, and crapping my pants (metaphorically speaking). That whole woodpuppet thing - horrifying. And the music was the stuff of nightmares to an elementary schooler. xD
  • holic237 - April 27, 2012 2:14 a.m.

Also The Path looks interesting but I'd be such a baby I would never stray from the path which would defeat the whole purpose of the game lol.
  • PatHan-bHai - March 1, 2013 11:35 a.m.

i've actually rad some of Poe's stuff......creepy shit D: