Topics

Top 7

• abbottfrizzell - August 16, 2010 7:52 p.m.

My brother got a N64 for his birthday and Mario along with it. I played that game all fucking night as my school burnt to the ground down the road, I was on the desert level with the pyramid :).
  • Javv - August 16, 2010 7:47 p.m.

wait what no MGS2?
  • SausageLozenge - August 16, 2010 7:47 p.m.

On Robert Ashley's podcast "A Life Well Wasted" he interviews the guy that owns the rights to all hand held versions of Tetris, Hank Rodgers. He's the guy thats responsible for it coming to the Gameboy at all. It was a huge gamble because the rights to Tetris was a huge mess because Russia was a communist country in 89 and capitalism didn't really exist there. The episode is titled "Big Ideas" and its really fascinating.
  • CH3BURASHKA - August 16, 2010 7:46 p.m.

A quality Top 7. It's still amazing how universally appealing Tetris is. Its history is also equally fascinating.
  • Shrimpandwhitewine - August 16, 2010 7:45 p.m.

Aaahh I remember my first LAN - it was my friends birthday, and it was Halo. A fine list, I don't really disagree with anything, though I've never played Lumines...
  • Zodiax - August 16, 2010 7:34 p.m.

I was surprised to not find Super Mario World on the list.
  • Superkev45 - August 16, 2010 7:30 p.m.

No Luigi's Mansion?
  • KnightDehumidifier - August 16, 2010 7:28 p.m.

Altered Beast, the game that ushered in true-to-arcade style and sound that took the NES and kneed them in the balls.
  • Unoriginal - August 16, 2010 7:27 p.m.

Not a list of best games at launch but the best launch games a.i. the best at justifying/pushing the system. Resistance was good but it was no system justifier. Wii Sports sold millions.
  • allthegoodnameswheretaken - August 16, 2010 7:26 p.m.

Dear God not Wii Sports Also What's happened to Captcha it's seem's to have hone a bit crazy
  • Austin_SJ - August 16, 2010 7:25 p.m.

Victory for Brett. Where is the wikiparez sound effect when you need it?
  • Phazon117 - August 16, 2010 7:15 p.m.

In all seriousness, great top seven, Brett. Though, unless I did my research wrong, I'd put Panzer Dragoon on the Saturn in place of Soul Caliber, but, that's just my opinion, because Panzer Dragoon is AWESOME.
  • Felixthecat - August 16, 2010 7:11 p.m.

UUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH I LOVE MARIO SO MUCH. And beautiful little Tetris.
  • JPorFavor - August 16, 2010 7:06 p.m.

Yes, Tetris!
  • Phazon117 - August 16, 2010 7:01 p.m.

NO PERFECT DARK ZERO OR MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM: CROSSFIRE? MR. ELSTON, YOU ARE BIAS.
  • GamesRadarBrettElston - August 16, 2010 6:56 p.m.

Mario Kart DS came out a year after the DS. Pokemon came out nine years after the Game Boy. Ocarina of Time came out two years after the N64. All great games, but none of them are launch.
  • iusemychrisantistainducedbonertoslapbabies - August 16, 2010 6:56 p.m.

super mario 64 ds was really good.
  • H2A2I00 - August 16, 2010 6:54 p.m.

man i remeber playing tetris my parents got it for me before I had a console so it was just there until i got the GBA hearing that horrible music in the background brings back memories good times
  • nighthawk205 - August 16, 2010 6:51 p.m.

Pretty good top 7... I wasn't expecting Number 1 at all, but I can see why you picked it. As for Wii Sports, I totally was groaning the second I saw the title and started laughing when I read that first sentence.
  • LarzimusPrime - August 16, 2010 6:51 p.m.

Come on Dudes, What about Mario Kart DS (Please tell me this was a launch game before I make a complete Cock of Myself) It was awesome Classic Mario Kart, way better than its Gamecube Counterpart and in my opinion the Best Mario Kart Ever!!!