Topics

Top 7

• BurntToShreds - August 17, 2010 5:16 a.m.

Super Mario Brothers and Tetris at the top? That is as cliche'd as it gets. You could have put the DS and Playstation in the list instead and saved yourself from doing the same thing so many other games journalists have done.
  • Thelonius - August 17, 2010 5:13 a.m.

Great Top 7 Brett.
  • Thequestion 121 - August 17, 2010 4:12 a.m.

Great list as always. I never thought that Tetris paved the way for Wii Sports lol
  • thatblindgamer - August 17, 2010 3:49 a.m.

Great top-7 Brett, can't wait for this one to be discussed on Talkradar.
  • rikmannix - August 17, 2010 3:37 a.m.

While the list is very well put together. I would argue that halo was so low on the list. Its not a middle of the list launch game. it is the only game that was fun on the xbox for months. Like shrimp said who did not play that game at a lan party.
  • EvanKHustle - August 17, 2010 3:22 a.m.

One of the better and more interesting top 7's Brett. Good work. I would have suggested switching 1 and 2 only because I think the NES had a bigger impact on video games than the GameBoy, at least it did with me. Still, Tetris was a damn good launch title. Thanks for the article.
  • tailsjacks - August 17, 2010 3:05 a.m.

i got 3 DreamCast consoles for the price of 1 at launch at toys'r'us for some reason
  • FantasticMrStarFox - August 17, 2010 3:04 a.m.

Wii Sports? Why? I'll forgive you Brett for your number 1 entry tho.
  • Mexiflan - August 17, 2010 2:02 a.m.

No wonder brett's the king of dates.
  • HawtKakez - August 17, 2010 1:33 a.m.

Very nice top 7. I was a little perplexed by the top being given to Tetris but after reading the content, it made a lot of sense. Good work.
  • KaiokenKid - August 17, 2010 1:17 a.m.

I think halo is probaly one of the best launch games because I think it singlehandily saved teh XBOX. The XBOX was entering the games biz in 2001 as the underdog that nobody knew wether or not to purchase because theyre was a good chance it would be obliterated by SONY. Without Halo, I dont think XBOX would have survived. Now THAT is a hell of a launch game, one that built the foudnation of the fuckin syestem.
  • hunterXhunter - August 17, 2010 1:08 a.m.

Good top 7. I think Luigi's Mansion would land in spot number 8 if this was a top 8.
  • revrock - August 17, 2010 1:02 a.m.

Whatever Castlevania that was that launched with the Game Boy Advance was pretty sweet.... dark but sweet
  • Crabhand - August 17, 2010 12:16 a.m.

I actually have a difficult time disagreeing with anything on this list. Lumines is the only one that had me scratching my head (mostly because I didn't get a PSP until months after launch), but I could not agree more with Wii Sports, Super Mario 64, and Halo.
  • ihopethisisnotantistasblood - August 16, 2010 11:59 p.m.

i can't believe how many people don't know what a launch game is
  • TURbo - August 16, 2010 11:56 p.m.

No one give a shit about Resistance, and the PS3 Tard fanboys brought it up because they wanted a PS3 game to be represented here.
  • crumbdunky - August 16, 2010 11:28 p.m.

Am I going mad? I dunno about anyone else but the launch(I'm sure but I'm old and infirm so who knows?)title I had, prolly, most fun with was Timesplitters on PS2.Didn't expect to see it here, of course, as this is very much a crowd pleaser, vanilla list(though now wrong for al that)with games we practically all know pretty damn well. In MY head, though, 'Splitters ges a place for being the very first game that impressed on me what might come from having dual analogues for console shooters. Along with, erm, it's OWN sense of the ridiculous I truly feel I had more fun with it than any other launch title I can remember-great sofa game as well-pass the pad or slapping each other daft(well, shooting in the game but it could actually get nasty on my couch!).So, while me and my mates might be alone on this one I really think it deserves a footnote from me here-great, great stuff.
  • lovinmyps3 - August 16, 2010 10:30 p.m.

I freaking love Lumines (Lou Mines). It kicks Tetris's ass!!
  • Clovin64 - August 16, 2010 10:07 p.m.

I cant remember if I got a Game Boy or a SNES first. I definetly had both, but I was too young to remember that much. I definetly had Mario games for both Game Boy and SNES (Super Mario World! yay!) and I might have had Tetris. My memory is all hazy now! I never played Soul Calibur or Soul Blade/Edge, but I did play Soul Calibur 2 on PS2 and I've been in love with the series ever since. SC2 simply blew away every fighting game I had played at that point.
  • oufour - August 16, 2010 9:52 p.m.

@ unoriginal jsut because it sold millions didn't mean it was good. and i'll accept that wii sports took advantage of the wii, but c'mon! ,lumines? in no way did it take full control of the PSP's power, unlike resistance which used the PS3's power to make iprovements.