• teejay-utube - May 18, 2013 8:48 p.m.

okay they totally forgot FFX-2. I might be the only one that thinks this, but the game play in x-2 is unbeatable compared to any other final fantasy game. The way they set the game up, so you could do optional missions and go wherever in the world you wanted to, instead of having to follow a story line just like every other final fantasy game, was absolutely amazing. And the dressphere also added a very unique way of changing "classes" like other ff games. Also, I just absolutely loved the final fantasy x/x-2 storyline. I literally cried when Yuna and Tidus get back together at the end of x-2. It was the best thing that ever happened and I was literally just happy for a week straight because I beat the game and saw that ending.
  • awesomeness - April 30, 2013 11:55 p.m.

7, 8 and 9 are my favourites. Whether they're the best, I don't know, but 7, 8 and 9 are what made final fantasy what it is. Some of my best memories where playing those games.
  • CalDirty - April 10, 2013 10:35 a.m.

I just got FF3 for my android. I was looking up info and came across this discussion. After reading all the comments, I wouldn't to put an older perspective spin on the discussion in regards to FF 1 and 2. 1st off, I truly believe FFs should be compared to titles getting released at the same time, not others of said franchise. FF1 was released against titles such as Dragon Warrior, and unlike its competitors, offered choice. This was huge at that time, and set the precedent for what RPGs were to be. One must realize, until NES fantasy titles came out, all one had was arcade games and text based games for PCs like the Apple IIe. Anything you could actually look at was awesome, but Final Fantasy went above and beyond what people were expecting. FF2 was so anticipated that when it was released several friends and I actually ditched middle school for 3 days straight just to play it. Fighting over the chance to grind out levels. The hidden passageways. The fights. Things to do not necessary for completion. When we thought we were close to the end, a whole other "underworld" map comes into play. And just when we thought this must be the end, you go to another planet with another map. Blew our minds. I've enjoyed the commentary as to the more modern titles, some I will be searching for because of them. But I felt someone older needed to put their 2 cents in as for the originals.
  • Marcellus - April 5, 2013 9:27 a.m.

I have to agree with EvilPeppah. XIII and XIII-2 have the best combat system in the series. As for XIII, that was it's ONLY saving grace. If it weren't for that, I don't think I could have pushed through to the end. XIII-2 was much better. It used a slightly modified version of the same combat system which was great, but I also didn't feel like I was running down a long and endless hall for the first half of the game. The storyline may have had a few plot holes, but the arrangement of the game was a massive improvement from it's predecessor. I also agree though that neither one of them belong on this list. I may have ordered the list a little differently, but overall, I think I would have to agree with the 7 that were chosen.
  • EvilPeppah - March 23, 2013 11:38 a.m.

I can't say that I thoroughly believe it's the best, or even one of the best, but I do believe that Final Fantasy XIII, and it's sequel XIII-2, have the best battle system in all of the Final Fantasy games so far. With so many before it, combat was actually kinda dull at times, where you had to fight endless swarms of enemies to level up to whatever level you wished to get to. XIII, however, had a battle system that was engaging and required intense timing in nearly every meaningful fight in the game. Even though you can't control all of your allies in battle, the combat system made the game more about controlling a team, rather than controlling each individual character at a time. I appreciate that.
  • clamzoopa - January 28, 2013 1:07 p.m.

"Here’s a game where the villain essentially wins and the heroes barely scrape by with a bittersweet victory, all bundled inside gameplay that made every battle a glorious mix of customizable attacks and character-specific actions. " Dude, what the sh*t? I searched for this article for a game to play, and now I know the ending. Thanks.
  • BladedFalcon - March 14, 2013 7:22 p.m.

...it's a 17 year old game, if you're seriously gonna bitch about it, you need to grow up.
  • Wff - January 18, 2013 11:11 p.m.

FF11 will the gold. Best song, best gameplay, best job system , best online system, best story chain of promethia , treasure of augtehn, wing of goddess, abyssea .... All the story is amazing. If you never play it then shut it. I have played all ff. anf nothing come close to ffxi. It have everything from Return to the past Parallel world Fighting a god who want to destroy the world Fighting a god who killed the player in the current world and become super god From lion sacifice herself to save the world Resurrect lion From aldo losing her sister i opening to finding out the truth Fighting the worse and most powerful npc of final fantasy shantotto...in black and white version. Fight moggle king Do. 64 player dungeon Fight through 100 floors of izle Watch the fight betweem odin and alexander T summon 10 avatar Have 21 jobs Raise chocobo for racing, have airship, fight on airship, fight on boat Watch 20 bahamut class dragon flying in the sky Hear the best music. Ragnarok and distant world. And more D you think any ff other then 10 have all these above?
  • ss2goku - January 16, 2013 1:20 p.m.

Hey I have to agree on a lot of things I've played them all and I been playing final fantasy XIII 2 for the ps3 but I do have a question how do I beat Caius Ballad in Oerba. But it does say use Relentless Assault but I don't know how do I have to learn it or what can anybody help me please?
  • JeffMiller1984 - January 19, 2013 8:37 p.m.

Go Noel Commando, Serah Ravager and make sure you have a good monster as a healer, I used a Cait Sith. With most big baddies in FF games you need to use spells to increase your party's strength, magic, defense, etc... and the opposite against the boss. Forget entirely about that in this fight. Just attack relentlessly with Noel and Serah, let the monster heal and if that doesn't work you need to grind and increase those 2 stats. If you try and go the standard route of defeating a boss Caius will just keep healing himself to full strength while you're setting up your protective spells. I got owned by him my first 2 tries before I realized my approach, the standard approach, wasn't working. Spent maybe 30 minutes grinding and getting a crystarium upgrade and put it all in Commando for Noel and Ravager for Serah. Went back and ended the fight in about 2 minutes, if that. Just get him staggered as fast as you can and make sure you're monster is a good healer.
  • ss2goku - January 22, 2013 12:01 p.m.

Ok bcuz I got lvl 20 pulse knight Noel is lvl 18 and so is serah but I have that ugly looking snail or slug creature that also heals would I Need to max him out or use cait seith bcuz I'm not really sure on how to best Caius you know?
  • JeffMiller1984 - January 22, 2013 7:38 p.m.

If you're unable to just pound him you're probably not strong enough. I don't remember exactly how strong my characters were, but I remember spending time battling around the choco-lady to buy some phoenix downs and gain CP and that by the time I reached that Caius fight I had fully expanded my ATB and com/rav bonuses for Noel/Serah which was 5 or 6 crystarium upgrades. Also make sure you have the most powerful weapons available, it makes a big difference. That's just the way I went about it though. I had though leveled my cait sith as much as I to that point which was a life saver for that battle and for a large portion of the game.
  • connor-green - January 4, 2013 7:40 p.m.

OK i have to disagree because i know VII lacked alot but i still loved it more than any others and i played 5 different final fantasys before i played 7 so my list is 1. VII 2. X(mainly cause of storyline) 3. XII(cause i took out the most annoying thing in every final fantasy the stupid transition to and from battles) 4.VIII 5.IX 6.IV 7.VI 8.V and those are all the ones i have played so
  • iluspook - January 24, 2013 7:30 a.m.

The fact that all of your top 5 are games from PS1 on, I'm thinking you're showing your age as someone in their mid-20's or earlier. I completely understand that games of "that generation" (I hate boxes/labels) will appeal to you more than the "old-school" games, so your opinion rightly varies. However, though I can understand your case for VII, X, and even XII, I will never for the life of me understand how you can, in your right mind, put VIII above IX, IV, AND VI. We each have our opinions, though.
  • juba-ziani - May 31, 2013 12:32 p.m.

I do agree that I would never put VIII on the same level as IX, IV and VI. But to me, VIII is far superior to VII, X and XII. Most people did not like it because of the enemies levelling up at the same time as you, allowing you to finish the game by avoiding every non-boss battle. True. But if you decide to play the game seriously, you can only be astonished by the story - not the characters though, I want to slap Seifer and Zell at least as much as Tidus -, the art, the music (Eyes on me is on my top 5 of FF songs, obviously, but the rest of the soundtrack is - in my opinion - really good too), and the gameplay. The combat system based on stealing magic and associating it in the best possible way to optimize the desired statistics, the system of limited abilities obtainable though G-forces, and - in particular - the limit break system gives a strategic depth to FFVIII that exists in no other FF. I do agree that you don't necessarily need this depth and the game can be easily finished though - for example - automatic association of magic - but once again, if you decide to play the game seriously, you get a unique and rewarding experience.
  • thelegendaryX - January 1, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Nostalgia aside (because my favorites for that reason are 6 and 8), I think FF12 was the best without contest. Everything the series ever did right came together for that game (Seemingly by accident, because the only thing good about 13 was that it looked so pretty). The only flaw I can think of that 12 definitely falls prey to is that the contents of the "treasure chests" are unreliable. If I take the time to play a game twice, I expect to know exactly where a particular weapon or accessory will be (and not have to be wearing something specific for it to show up!) All things considered, 12 is definitely the best they've ever come out with. I don't like it any more than you guys do, but we have to be honest here :P
  • anotherjmc - December 17, 2012 5:28 a.m.

I completely agree with the number one. I played the game when I was 10, I saw a friend playing FFV on the SNES, and wanted to play it as well, but then discovered that FFVI was out lol. I think all the arguments were already mentioned, I just want to emphasize the quality of the soundtrack: I played the Japanese version, so I did not understand any of the dialogues, but with a simplefied guidebook in my own language I was able to know what was more or less going on. But the soundtrack actually carried the story and the characters amazingly well!! I discovered this only after many years while playing a ROM in English and realized that I did not miss out on too much of the story despite not knowing Japanese.
  • Oathbetrayer - November 27, 2012 12:18 a.m.

Ok, I have played all of the Final Fantasy games except the PSP and Game Boy ect... I am a master of game taste :p The best Final Fantasy games hands down are FFX and FF8. Both of the games make me feel as if I wish I was in that fantasy world. Great characters, bosses, story, interface. And the sphere grid is the best leveling system by far. FF7 is over-rated just because of Cloud and Sephiroth, they are great characters but they can't carry the entire game to "the best." The worst FF game is definitely FFX-2. And any game after FFX is garbage.
  • MrCollns - December 25, 2012 10:20 a.m.

I completely disagree, FFXII was a far better game than FFX and FF8 and this was released after FFX-2 also.The fact that most FF players don't like XII is because they gave up through the game and did not get to a stage where the game developes into a wonderful variety of landscapes and challenges for character development which prolongs the game play dramatically and makes the game more enjoyable than any other FF game by a huge margin.Unlike other FF games there was actually a level of difficulty in XII which required more than one brain cell to defeat the advanced monsters.Little kids easily complete the other games in the franchise but would not be able to finish completely XII because of the standard of difficulty which only the more experienced gamers overcome.The free roaming capabilities is also far ahead other early JRPG games.
  • iluspook - January 24, 2013 7:35 a.m.

I was surprised by how much I liked XII. I think VI, IV, and IX are better, but after that, XII is right in the discussion. I also found the battle system very refreshing; it didn't turn me off nearly to the degree that it has others!