• CrashmanX - March 1, 2010 4:53 p.m.

Granted I'm not a huge fan of the whole FF series (You can blame the FF7 fan-boys for that one) I did play through FF4 and FF8 and I loved FF4 the most. Hands down one of my favorite games of all time, and I usually hate Turn Based RPGs. Glad to see it make the #2 spot.
  • Amnesiac - March 1, 2010 4:54 p.m.

Seeing as how I'm a raging FFVI fanboy, your no. 1 pick pleases me greatly. And I couldn't agree more with FFV: one of the lamest stories in the series backed by some of the best gameplay. However, no FFVIII makes me a sad panda.
  • Xplosive59 - March 1, 2010 5:16 p.m.

completly agree with tthe top 2 but i think tactics shoud of been number 1 with vi second if you allowed spinoffs. great article GR
  • GarysLaptop - March 1, 2010 5:23 p.m.

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS LIST 1000000% FF6=BEST STORY & BEST SOUNDTRACK If your asking "But why?" go play the game already. Or just re-read what they just said up there about it.
  • egregious - March 1, 2010 5:53 p.m.

FF4 remains to this day my favorite FF ever. I have FF6 Advance, but I have yet to play it.
  • GamesRadarCharlieBarratt - March 1, 2010 6:13 p.m.

I had nothing to do with this article, but I also agree that VI is the best.
  • JackSkellingtonsSkin - March 1, 2010 6:19 p.m.

My favourite is Crisis Core. I know I'm alone on this but I think it is the best thing they could have done to develop 7's story.
  • ventanger - March 1, 2010 6:23 p.m.

Sigh... still no love for 8... I'm starting to think that's part of the appeal. "I like FFVIII, because nobody else will!" recaptcha: mariners Pope.. how do you get the black smoke underwater?
  • derpinainreallife - February 21, 2014 7:04 p.m.

I like VIII. Let's be friends.
  • ichigoame - March 1, 2010 6:58 p.m.

wheres FFVIII? 0.0
  • Zeipher - March 1, 2010 7:04 p.m.

FF X is the best. Best leveling system BY FAR, best leap in graphics (I'm sorry, but if I'm putting 80 hours into a game, I want to be immersed, not surrounded by super nintendo graphics). The voice acting was HUGE (God knows 20 minutes of text boxes can wear you out). The battle system was arguably the best thanks to the inclusion of the switch-out mechanic. The story was good (the only thing saving it from great was the questionable end).
  • Embolado - March 1, 2010 7:05 p.m.

@xbotrulez Give me a break I was at a stop light! Its hard to proof read and drive.
  • r3gn4r - March 1, 2010 7:17 p.m.

Why isn't Mystic Quest up there?
  • ChristianityMakesMyTummyHurt - March 1, 2010 7:17 p.m.

Personally my favorite was X. But that's only because my GBA ran away and never came back so I didn't get to finish VI (sad panda). The Sphere Grid was awesome. And how the hell can anyone truly enjoy VIII? That game was god awful recaptcha: impaired tax 0_0
  • infestedandy - March 1, 2010 7:38 p.m.

GR said it best at the end of the article. "...every Final Fantasy is so different and appealing/shitty in various ways that determining the “best” is impossible." Everyone's taste in games is different and that's definitely the case with Final Fantasy games. Still, that's not going to stop the facts from being just that and I have to say, you guys did a great job with that GR. I can't agree that XII had intriguing characters though. The central plot was definitely vast and the gameplay was different but I didn't care about the characters at all. After about 12 hours in, I stopped playing and I have never done that with a FF game (bar the first two). I really don't know why VIII has so much hate. Yeah it was completely different but if you put a little effort into understanding the new systems then the game becomes a customization chasm. The plot was pretty wish-washy but that card game Triple Triad... If you played it you'd know how amazing it was. Sometimes all I'd do was play that game. Seriously.
  • GamesRadarBrettElston - March 1, 2010 8:26 p.m.

I deferred to Christian for XII's inclusion, as I personally didn't care for it. But he made the case, and since we all felt it was more interesting than VIII, it made the cut. Number 7 on the list was going to be either VIII or XII, and the latter got more praise from the office. I don't much like either, but can see why some might prefer 'em to the rest.
  • AnonymouZ - March 1, 2010 8:40 p.m.

since i only half played 7, then finished and loved 8... then loved a bit more 9... and wanted to cry at 10... i'd say in my humble, but correct, opinion that 10 is one of the best ones. but 10-2 and 12 were just a horrible, horrible disappointment... (that didn't stop me from putting over 90+ hrs each)
  • Ravenbom - March 1, 2010 8:53 p.m.

I think I'd put in FF1 instead of FFV because it kind of lead the way for what RPGs are today. Plus it saved Square from going bankrupt. But other than that, I totally agree with the list.
  • Ravenbom - March 1, 2010 8:58 p.m.

I don't know why people are hating on FF12 as it was such a refreshing change for the series. Both in gameplay and storytelling. It's the first time that the story didn't devolve to saving the world, instead, you're just saving a nation, which made it much more grounded and real to me.
  • TURbo - March 1, 2010 9:04 p.m.

I don't get why people rank games high only on the fact that it saved the company from bankruptcy. If so, there should be a Top 7 on Top 7 games that saved their companies from becoming extinct, or a premature extinction. If only Johnny Ridgeback was the Executive Editor, I could read a Top 7 Best Madden Football games of all time.