• gutlessVADER - January 29, 2009 5:21 a.m.

antidisestablishmentarianism
  • sgloomy - January 29, 2009 5:16 a.m.

I love all the metal gear games but why isnt there any mention of God of War?
  • gutlessVADER - January 29, 2009 5:15 a.m.

if they were looking for the best cross-platform game, I would have to say CoD4. I have a lot of FPS's, including CoD:WaW, but I always come back to CoD4.
  • garnsr - January 29, 2009 5:05 a.m.

Ah, redbook audio. And yes, shmup is a stupid term, they are called shooters. Current gen foolishly dropped the FP part, forgetting the real McCoy.
  • tirrandir - January 29, 2009 5:02 a.m.

where's the byline on this? I want to know who to yell at.
  • Bootsiuv - January 29, 2009 4:47 a.m.

Have to agree with Frag here... Trying to confine 30 years of PC history to two games per decade is, well, crazy (no offense to the writer, but I'm a long time subscriber to PC Gamer, so as someone who helps pay your salary, I feel I can make some constructive criticism here). Maybe two games per GENRE would have worked, but, groundbreaking titles like the original DOOM and Diablo II were discluded due to lack of space and no other reason. They were easily as influential as any of the other games on your list. I enjoy lists, but sometimes they don't take in the entire scope of things, leading to a rather narrow-minded, and therefore, unrealistic and irrelevant, message to readers. In other words, I don't think you could make a list of the 10 best PC games of the decade, let alone 2. The PC section has little basis in reality.
  • DaBadGuy - January 29, 2009 4:43 a.m.

I naturally assumed Halo 3 would win best Xbox 360 title, I mean Campaign was eh, but multiplayer, I mean Bungie made the multiplayer work almost perfectly, much better than Gears of War 2, much better than most games.
  • FriendlyFire - January 29, 2009 4:36 a.m.

I meant sucker for my previous post; sleepiness = bad spelling.
  • FriendlyFire - January 29, 2009 4:35 a.m.

Agreed for Ninty, however for PS2, PS3, 360, PSP and of course PC I'd have a hard time picking a clear winner. PS2: Had so much fun with God of War it'd probably be the console's runner-up; MGS2 was, for me, a phenomenal game, so it'd also be high, maybe even the best game. PS3: I'm a huge sucked for LBP, so I'd just swap MGS4 and LBP around. Wipeout HD is also high on my list. 360: I liked Gears of War a lot, but I'd have to say that Mass Effect was pretty darn good too. PSP: Wipeout Pure/Pulse and Lumines would've scored high for me. PC: Gosh, I can't even believe you've summarily classified this whole platform under three decades. The whole thing is SO VAST I can't think it to be possible to summarize it to *JUST* three games. Homeworld, Starcraft, Warcraft, Total Anihilation, Company of Heroes, Crysis, Rise of Nations, Age of Empires, Guild Wars, Half-Life 1/2, Portal, Unreal Tournament, Command & Conquer, Dawn of War, The Sims, Total War, Freelancer (woot), The Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Sins of a Solar Empire, Farcry, Flight Simulator, World in Conflict... I could go on for weeks without finding an end!
  • mozaralio - January 29, 2009 4:19 a.m.

CRAP OH YA AND WHAT THE FCUK (meant to not put F word for those mispelling knit pickers) POKEMON BEATS THE SHIT OUT OF TETRIS SERIOSLY?YOU NEED TO GET OFF THE DRUGS ANYONE WHO WAS INVOLVED WITH THAT COMMENT/DECISION...enough with the crack ok guys?
  • mozaralio - January 29, 2009 4:15 a.m.

Petty argument time ok first off. ARE YOU ALL ON CRACK!!!!!!??!!!!!! Seriosly I KNOW YOU KNEW THAT WE KNEW THAT YOU KNEW THAT WE BOTH KNEW THERE WOULD BE DISAGREEMENTS AND SUCH BUT WTF GEARS SHOULD NOT BE BEST GAME FOR 360 IT SHOULD BE EITHER HALO 3 OR ORANGE BOX OR LEFT 4 DEAD AND WTF STAR CRAFT AND HALF-LIFE 1 ARE PRETTY MUCH EQUAL AND SUPER MEGA WTF U GUYS EFFED UP THE VIRTUA BOY THE BEST GAME WAS DEFFINATLY ROBOT BOXING WITH WARIO WORLD COMING IN CLOSE 2ND AND FOR APPLE 2 PRINCE OF PERSIA SUCKED A DI#% ALSO SUPER METROID PRIME BEATS ZELDA WTF OH AND PHANTASY STAR ONLINE FAR SURPASSES SOUL CALIBER.I SAY GEARS SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN BEST WITH THE MOST RESPECT I HAVE BEATEN THAT GAME ON EVERY DIFFICULTY &AND& COLLECTED ALL THE COG TAGS BUT ALL THOSE OTHER GAMES ARE SO MUCH MORE DESERVING.This article gets 2/10 becuase out of all the games and consoles iv played you got 2 right.AS well as SAN ANDREAS in my opinion was a steaming pile of crap. So basicaly you epic fail. Better luck next time games radar, better luck next time.
  • twstd757 - January 29, 2009 4:13 a.m.

some of these are good, but any money the guy that wrote this fell for commercialism... I mean pokemon... Mario galaxies??????
  • footballrules154 - January 29, 2009 3:55 a.m.

the nintendo games are all excellent. microsfts games own. sonys games...so-so. all the other games, they suck
  • game-thugsta - January 29, 2009 3:52 a.m.

best... article... ever
  • mjmont92 - January 29, 2009 3:52 a.m.

why no ocarina of time? it was probably one of the most revolutionary 3D games ever made. 3d platformers would have come around sooner or later.and frankly nearly none of them were revolutionary. though mario 64 was the best. i disagree with rock band 2 as well. there were tons more revolutionary games for the xbox 360 than a game you play with a fake guitar and drums. i also would have liked to see Star Wars Dark forces 2 in the 90's pc. IMO it was better than half life.
  • hammer3911 - January 29, 2009 3:48 a.m.

O.k first. Why would you pick Half-Life for the pc's greatest game when it wouldn't even be around if it wasn't for Doom. Second. GTA:SA?! What about Resident Evil 4? And finally, no XIII or Doom 3? Doom 3 was the first game I saw that used shadows like that. This is just my opinion and I'm sure theres people that won't agree with me, but I bet theres some that will.
  • smallberry - January 29, 2009 3:46 a.m.

Okami is really great but should it have beaten out ICO and SoTC? Also, ZORK YAY!! There is a new one coming out this year called Legends Of Zork and its a browser game.
  • DawgsFan117 - January 29, 2009 3 a.m.

Omg screw my last comment lol. I completly forgot my favorite game of all time is on the 360. Bioshock deserved the number 1 or 2 spot. Most amazing story in a gmae especially the perfect twist at the end. Dam howdid I forget that. So screw rock band I mean damn it wasnt even excusive. There are 10 titles that deserved that spot more. So COD4 the Bioshock would be my 360 greats. I agree with the PS3 ones though and lol I dont own a wii cause im not 4.
  • Amnesiac - January 29, 2009 2:59 a.m.

Whoops, OoT was mentioned. Man, blind fanboy rage is horrible thing.
  • Timothy_Lemon - January 29, 2009 2:35 a.m.

gt5 isn't on ps2 silly billy or ps3 yet ho hum sony