The following is my own srategy on how to defeat the Beast Rune Monster:
1. Choose the following members of your party:
Frontliners (any order): Georg, Viktor, Pesmerga
Rear (any order): Alfred, Mazus, Lorelai
2. Status level should be at least 59 after beating Seed and Culgan.
Weapon Level should be at maximum (level 16). Just buy the Gold Hammer
in Sajah Village and let Tessai do the sharpening (even Mazus' Nova Rod
must be at Level 16). Equipment should be at maximum (it's better to
arm Lorelai with Blood Armor which is dropped by Chimera in L'Renouille
occasionally). Georg should have a Flame Helmet (found in Gorudo's
3. Arm with Guard Rings, Gold Emblems, Magic Rings (especially for
Mazus), Gold Emblems, or Fire Emblems. Guard Rings and Magic Rings are
bought from Hans. Fire Emblems from Alex. Gold Emblems from Kobold
Village (Rare Finds).
4. Runes: Georg: Barrier (weapon: Thunder)
Viktor: Fury or Violence, Double-Beat (weapon:
Pesmerga: Fury or Double-Beat (weapon: Rage)
Hero: Mo. Earth, Bright Shield, Water (weapon:
Mazus: Blue Gate, Thunder, Flowing (weapon: Fire or
Lorelai: Mo. Earth, Cyclone (weapon: Rage)
5. Barrier Runes are dropped by Ten Ten (a female enemy) in Banner
6. A Fury Rune can be found in one of the rooms in L'Renouille. It can
also be a Rare Find in Muse just before the invasion of L'Renouille.
7. Viktor's Double Beat Rune is actually Pesmerga's. Double-Beat Runes
are dropped by CutRabbits in Highland and North Sparrow Pass at the very
early part of the game.
8. A Mother Earth Rune is given by Gustav in Tinto after slaying
Neclord. It can also be a Rare Find in Gregminster.
9. A Flowing Rune is given freely by a woman in Muse City in the second
floor of the Rune Shop just before the invasion of L'Renouille. It can
also be a Rare Find in Gregminster.
10. A Cyclone Rune is given freely by Sarah in the second floor of the
inn at Gregminster.
11. A Rage Rune (for Lorelai's weapon) is given freely by the
Runemaster teacher in Greenhill after defeating the Bone Dragon.
12. A Thunder Rune (for Georg's weapon) is given freely by the blue
knight outside Gorudo's room after the flag area in Rockaxe castle,
after Nanami "died."
13. An Exertion Rune can be found hidden in the big urn beside the
Elder's house in Kobold Village.
14. A Friendship Rune can be found hidden in one of the bonsai in front
of the City Hall in South Window.
15. Mazus' Blue Gate and Thunder Runes are built-in and so is
Pesmerga's Rage Rune in his weapon.
16. At the very start of the battle, let Lorelai cast Guardian Earth
first (and for every 5 rounds), and Mazus cast Protect Mist (every 3
rounds). Destroy the Left Leg first, then the Rune, the Left Head, then
the Right Head. Never mind the Right Leg.
17. Best Attack spells are Pale Palace of Mazus, The Shredding and
Storm Warning of Lorelai.
18. Reserve Mazus' Thor (level 5 spell) - not Thor Shot - in very
desperate cases in order to heal all and aim for the Rune of the Beast
to damage it by about 400 - 1000.
19. When Mazus runs out of Protect Mist, let your Hero cast Canopy
20. Reserve your Hero's Great Blessing after the Left Leg changed your
characters' status. Also, reserve his Battle Oath and Forgiver Sign
(aim for the Rune of the Beast) in very desperate cases.
21. Reserve Mazus' Kindness Rain in desperate cases.
22. Reserve Lorelai's Healing Wind if your Hero has changed status.
23. See the following outline for the appropriate use of spells:
Hero: 1 - Great Blessing (reserve this as long as the Left Leg is
still not destroyed)
2 - Canopy Defense (cast this spell if Mazus runs out of
3 - Battle Oath (in desperate cases)
4 - Forgiver Sign (in very desperate cases, aim for the
Rune of the beast)
Mazus: 1 - Protect Mist (cast this at the start and every 3 rounds)
2 - Kindness Rain (in very desperate cases, reserve for
Left Leg attacks)
3 - Pale Palace (best attack)
5 - Thor (combination of Thunder Storm and Mother Ocean
- in very desperate cases,
aim for the Rune of the Beast)
Lorelai: 1 - Healing Wind (to heal status of desperate individuals
especially your Hero if his status
2 - The Shredding (best attack)
3 - Storm Warning (best attack)
4 - Guardian Earth (cast at the very start of battle,
and every 5 rounds)
24. Never ever use Mazus' Empty World (it will render all helpless),
and Lorelai's and your Hero's Earthquake (it won't affect the boss at
all). Also, never use Mazus' and your Hero's Silent Lake or you'll end
up cheated by the beast. Mazus' Thunder spells, Open Gate and King's
Road are all useless so don't even try wasting your energy with those.
Mazus' Thor Shot is powerful but his Mother Ocean is useless (unless
somebody died)s it is better to combine both spells to cast Thor.
Lorelai's Guardian Earth is more important than her Shining Wind spell
so use the former.
25. Heal often Georg, Viktor, and Pesmerga because they are the ones
who could be the most helpful in your quest.
26. Sometimes Mazus is not in his right mind (there's a green balloon
with a question mark above his head). You can't do anything about it
even with Healing Wind, Kindness Rain or Great Blessing. Just heal him
every now and then and he'll come to his right mind after a few rounds.
During this time, Mazus automatically hits with his Nova Rod - thus the
reason to sharpen it.
27. It is best to boost your characters' magic defense in this battle
because the boss does not have physical attacks - only magical. Crimson
Capes and Winged Boots are useless after beating Seed and Culgan.
The following is my own strategy on how to defeat the Bone Dragon, Yuber's pet in Greenhill.
1. Choose the following characters:
Frontliners (from left): Georg, Viktor, Pesmerga
Rear (from left): Hero, Gijimu, Lorelai
(Note: If you don't have Pesmerga yet, use Simone but place him in Lorelai's position instead so that Lorelai will be in the frontline).
2. Status level should be at least 55. Weapon level should be at least 13 (go to the blacksmith in Tinto if you don't have Tessai yet). Equipment should be the best - buy from Hans. Never embed Lightning Rune on the weapon as the enemy is immune to Lightning attacks.
3. Arm your frontliners with Crimson Capes, Winged Boots, or Capes of Darkness. Fire Emblems, Thunder Amulets, Gold Emblems, Magic Rings, or Guard Rings should be in all character's inventory.
4. Runes: Georg - Barrier or Killer (weapon: Fire)
Viktor - Violence, Double-Beat or Killer (weapon:Exertion)
Pesmerga - Resurrection (weapon: Rage)
Hero - Water, Bright Shield, Mo. Earth or Fire Sealing (weapon: Friendship)
Gijimu - Resurrection, Cyclone (weapon: Mo. Earth or Fire)
Lorelai - Mo. Earth, Resurrection (weapon: Fire)
Simone (if you don't have Pesmerga) - Resurrection (weapon: Fire)
5. Crimson Capes may be available as Rare Finds in South Window Armor Shop. Winged Boots may be available at the Gregminster Item Shop as Rare Finds. Capes of Darkness and Fire Emblems can be bought from Alex. Guard Rings, Magic Rings and Thunder Amulets can be bought from Hans. Gold Emblems are rare - check the Kobold Village Item Shop Rare Finds.
6. Barrier Runes are dropped by Ten Ten (a female enemy) in Banner Forest.
7. A Violence Rune can be found hidden in the shelf in the Appraisal Shop in Rockaxe.
8. Killer Runes are dropped by Woodpeckers at Ryube Forest.
9. Viktor's Double Beat Rune is actually Pesmerga's. Double Beat Runes are actually dropped by CutRabbits in Highland or in the North Sparrow Pass during the very early part of the game.
10. A Fire Sealing Rune can be found in a chest box at the Highlander camp when your Hero and Jowy were asked by Jess to act as spies.
11. A Cyclone Rune is given freely by Sarah in the second floor of the inn in Gregminster.
12. A Friendship Rune can be found hidden in one of the bonsai in front of the City Hall in South Window.
13. An Exertion Rune can be found hidden in the big jar beside the Elder's house in Kobold Village.
14. A Mother Earth Rune is given freely by Mayor Gustav of Tinto after slaying Neclord. It could also be found as Rare Finds in the Rune Shop in Gregminster.
15. Resurrection Runes are bought from Jeane.
16. At the start of the battle, let Lorelai cast Guardian Earth first (and then every 5 rounds) then let your Hero cast Protect Mist (and then every 3 rounds).
17. Use Charm Arrow and The Shredding always.
18. Heal Viktor often.
19. Make good use of Battle Oath, Healing Wind, and Canopy Defense
The following is my own strategy in defeating Luca Blight. Your
military strategist Shu will let you assign 3 groups to defeat Luca
1. Frontline from left: Flik, Miklotov, Zamza
Rear from left: Nina, Camus, Rina
2. Frontline from right: Viktor, Feather (will occupy the whole center),
Rear from left: Chaco, Feather, Sid
3. Frontline from left: Hanna, Humphrey, Oulan
Rear from left: Hero, Lorelai, Luc
1.With Fire Emblems (most required for the frontliners as well as the
center person in the rear).
2. With Crimson Cape and Wing Ornament (for wingers), or Cape of
Darkness. Equipment should be maximum - buy from Hans everything
3. Status level must be at least 40, weapon level must be at least level
10 especially for frontliners (never mind Luc's weapon). Go to the
Kuskus blacksmith for the sharpening.
4.Runes: Flik: Lightning, Waking
Zamza: Fire Dragon, Water
Rina: Earth, Water, Cyclone
Viktor: Double Beat or Killer, Barrier or Fire Sealing
Feather: Shining Wind
Hanna: Fire or Killer
Humphrey: Violence or Fire Sealing
Oulan: Angry Dragon, Earth
Hero: Water, Bright Shield, Mo. Earth or Fire Sealing
Luc: Blue Gate, Earth, Pixie
5. Fire or Lightning Runes must be embedded in weapons. Viktor's
weapon should have an Exertion Rune. Your Hero's weapon should have a
Friendship Rune. Humphrey's weapon can have any rune.
6. use Earth (Clay Guardian) and Water (Protect Mist) first
7. Flik, Miklotov, and Camus must often use Pretty Boy Attack.
Otherwise, Flik and NIna must use Groupie Attack.
8. Chaco and Sid must use Winger Attack often.
9. HAnna and Oulan must use tackle attack often.
10. Rina's Silent Lake power (Water Rune) must combine with Flik's Thor
Shot (Lightning Rune) in the middle of the game to heal allies and
inflict 1000+ damage on Luca.
11. Camus cannot hit Luca and has only got to join Miklotov (Knight
Attack) or Flik (Pretty Boy Attack).
12. For Rage and Fire Runes, use the level 4 power first.
13. For Bright Shield, use Shining Light
14. For Blue Gate, never use Empty World but use Pale Palace often.
15. One Fire Sealing Rune could be obtained from the chest near the
Highland guard tent when Alfred and Jowy were asked by Jess to act as
16. One Cyclone Rune can be obtained from a girl named Sarah on the
second floor of the inn at Gregminster.
17. One Mother Earth Rune could be obtained as Rare Find in the
Gregminster Runemaster (sometimes not available)
18. One Violence Rune could be obtained from the cabinet in the
Appraisal Shop in Rockaxe.
19. Flik's Waking Rune was formerly that of Sid when you first got him.
20. Killer Runes are dropped by Woodpeckers at Ryube Forest (where Tsai
21. Double-Beat Runes are gotten from CutRabbits during the early part
of the game at Highland Area or North Sparrow Pass.
22. Never use Luc's Pixie if Luc has remaining powers. It is
ultimately useless even if Luc's weapon is at its max level.
23. Protect and Heal the following characters often: Zamza, Feather,
Hanna, Humphrey, Oulan, Shiro.
24. In pursuing Luca after the 3 battles are over, choose Viktor, Flik,
Chaco, Sid, and Rina as companions.
25. By the way, Crimson Capes may be available as Rare Finds in the
South Window Armor Store, Wing Ornament at the Banner Forest (on the way
to Gregminster), and Winged Boots as Rare Finds at the Gregminster Item
Store. Capes of Darkness can be bought from Alex.
26. One Barrier Rune could be obtained from Ten Ten (a female enemy) at
27. A Friendship Rune is hidden under one of the bonsai in front of the
City Hall at South Window.
28. An Exertion Rune is hidden in one of the jars beside the Elder's
house in Kobold Village.
29. A Blue Gate Rune is in one of the three chests at the Cave of the
Wind near the Mysterious Old Man after the wind section.
How to get a few secret characters
Below are some secret characters that should be very helpful.
1.Kinnison and Shiro: while searching for Boneparte put the baby bird back in its nest. Then walk all the way up the mountain and come back to the nest Kinnison and Shiro will be there and will gladly join your party.
Gobacha: go to the Kobold Village (in Two River) with Gengen in your party and go to Gabocha's house. After the coversation between Gabacha and Gengen ends Gabacha will secretly join your party.
Zamza: Go to South Window's Inn with Nanami in your party and after their argument Zamza will join your party.
Hans: In Two River, go to the Inn and go upstairs and talk to Hans. Offer him a job for free(if you want him to set up his shop right away)