Google+

Star Wars Battlefront III canceled by LucasArts "psychopaths" according to dev

Whatever happened to the Star Wars Battlefront series? It was critically acclaimed, sold like golden hotcakes, and it was a rare boon for the Star Wars brand. So why don't we see it on store shelves anymore?

Free Radical director and co-founder David Doak opened up to Eurogamer to explain the sordid tale of the last 6-7 years of Free Radical's history. Which includes why Haze was a disaster, and why Battlefront 3 ended up canceled even though the gameplay videos looked incredible for the time they were made. 

 "It was going well," says Doak. "They wanted to massively upgrade the scope, and consequently we were being required to be very ambitious technology-wise - when you see those leaked videos of it you can see it looks spectacular."

In the Battlefront 3 videos, you can see the key hook of the game. The scope was so large that you could be in a gun fight on the ground, then hop into a starfighter and fly off into an aerial battle moments later -- all in real-time.

"We were continually trying to improve that, and it was going well, in fact it was going so well that we were going to make two, and they were letting us do some really interesting stuff with the mythology," Doak continued.

Up until that point, everything had been going fine, but according to the story, things hit the fan when LucasArts brought in a change of leadership. "For a long time we talked of LucasArts as the best relationship we'd ever had with a publisher," Free Radical co-founder Steve Ellis told Eurogamer. "Then in 2008 that disappeared, they were all either fired or left. Then there was a new guy called Darrell Rodriguez [new CEO at LucasArts], who had been brought in to do a job and it was more to do with cost control than making any games. And the games that we were making for them were costly."

The hostile relationship that developed even caused Free Radical employees to make this video lampooning the money-hungry suits at LucasArts.

"And then we went from talking to people who were passionate about making games to talking to psychopaths who insisted on having an unpleasant lawyer in the room,” Doak said.

There's much more to the story, and it's a fascinating glimpse inside the normally opaque developer publisher relationship. Check it out over at Eurogamer

We Recommend By ZergNet

20 comments

  • Redeater - May 4, 2012 1:16 p.m.

    This makes absolutely no sense. I guess LucasArts wanted to focus on great games like....Unleashed....and Unleashed 2. You know, games that get progressively shittier as they go on. Give me Battlefront and Commandos LucasArts!
  • Gotxxrock - May 4, 2012 1:19 p.m.

    I could not agree more.
  • Chris_Head91 - May 4, 2012 1:37 p.m.

    I rather liked The Force Unleashed but the Sequel, oh god did that suck and then came Star Wars Kinect. The Horror. The Horror.
  • Redeater - May 4, 2012 2:09 p.m.

    I actually completed the first one 100%. The second one? One rental and it was back to blockbuster. Most games don't get worse as sequels are made. Or at least sequels without a major gameplay overhaul.
  • samsneeze - May 4, 2012 2:11 p.m.

    Fable didn't change much, but goodness did those games get dreadful.
  • SpiritTemple - May 4, 2012 5:08 p.m.

    You said it.
  • vic88 - May 4, 2012 1:25 p.m.

    those suit bastards!, lets hunt them down and break there legs in!
  • kachigop - May 4, 2012 2:04 p.m.

    Its infuriating that this game was so close to completion and then scrapped. The way the developer describes the game in the article makes it sound GODLY. I'm heartbroken and blindly raging at LucasArts now.
  • Plan10FromOuterSpace - May 4, 2012 2:15 p.m.

    The full sotry is much, much sadder. I read it at Escapist, but sure the link gamesradar posted works fine too so follow it up. I would of loved to of seen a battlefield 3, and studio closures are always a sad affair. Honestly, I can now say with complete conviction, fuck you Lucasarts.
  • lilbuddha - May 4, 2012 2:20 p.m.

    That story was the first "real" piece of journalism I've read about the gaming industry in [b]years[/b]. Amazing, and so depressing.
  • tabuju - May 4, 2012 6:46 p.m.

    what i dont understand is that in the past like month, there was been a pop of Star Wars battlefront 3 news talking about either "how it could have been" or "reasons why it got cancelled". Why now?? its been like 3 years since this stuff EVER got news!!!!!!!!!!
  • pr0tostar - May 4, 2012 8:39 p.m.

    Dr. Doak > LucasArts. I've only ever played a Battlefield game once, but I can see why it's an acclaimed game. The Star Wars saga is a dead horse since the timeline is at a halt. Some alternate reality scenarios would be alot better than digging through the Galaxy's past over and over. The fans want this, competent devs are stepping up to the plate. I really think the problm is stemming to Lucas himself, who seems to be going senile over his world-renowned franchise
  • jmcgrotty - May 5, 2012 3:43 a.m.

    Quit with that > bullshit.
  • D0CCON - May 4, 2012 10:10 p.m.

    That sounds like LucasArts; they don't want to sell us anything until they are certain it's just as shitty as everything else Star Wars related that's come out over the past several years. If it turns out the product will likely be good, it gets cancelled. That's just how much they care.
  • AznNguyen72 - May 4, 2012 10:39 p.m.

    Well it's a good thing Darrell Rodriguez had resigned two years ago. I can't believe there's no one working on a new battlefront game. Also as a side note I want a Republic Commando sequel.
  • c-c-c-combo breaker - May 5, 2012 3:18 a.m.

    FUCK. I think people should be valued depending on the amount of (movie cliche) happiness they can bring to the world. From my (probably flawed) logic, this Darrell Rodriguez guy deserves a punch in the face. From every pissed off battlefront fan. That video was golden, though.
  • Fox_Mulder - May 5, 2012 6:02 a.m.

    Meh I'll just play StarHawk
  • OddWoN ER - May 6, 2012 7 p.m.

    fuck LucasArts. they keep failing the franchise, then they throw away the only gem, the only thing keeping them on radar, that they had out the window. someone better by the work in progress, publish it, and make a killing to rub it in their face. i want me some battlfront 3!
  • Shinard - May 13, 2012 7:03 a.m.

    No, no, NO! I want me some Battlefront, and that looked awesome. Seeing as they've done so much work already... Kickstarter anyone?
  • ian-isaiah-keoni-walker - January 1, 2014 6:16 a.m.

    Guys it's not cancelled DICE took over. They've released a teaser trailer.

Showing 1-20 of 20 comments

Join the Discussion
Add a comment (HTML tags are not allowed.)
Characters remaining: 5000

OR…

Connect with Facebook

Log in using Facebook to share comments, games, status update and other activity easily with your Facebook feed.