• infestedandy - February 21, 2012 10:08 p.m.

This is going to come across as incredibly pretentious, but Sakurai saying "How did we make this?" just makes me laugh. How Sakurai? You copy and pasted the same characters and their moves sets into a new game and came out with "new" characters that just use the old sets. Yeah there are plenty of honest to goodness true new characters in Brawl, but it's honestly not enough to make me overlook the pure laziness on the developer side. Smash attacks were such a great idea and then you gave the same attack to Fox, Falco, and Wolf. Awesome job guys. I won't even get into the atrocious single player game or the beyond awful online component (which Nintendo needs to fix on the Wii U), but I will say that there is so much potential in a game like this. You can still have fun with the game. It's not like every character is as deep as actual fighting game characters (Mortal Kombat, Tekken) but the variety really should be there.
  • GameManiac - February 21, 2012 10:22 p.m.

Ugh... There's so much wrong with your comment that I don't know where to begin. I'll start with your biggest flaw: "It's not like every character is as deep as actual fighting game characters". What complete bullshit. The way I see it, characters in Super Smash Bros. are twice as deep as characters in other fighting games. All characters in Super Smash Bros. walk, run, jump, double-jump, attack from the ground and in midair in four directions, have smash attacks in all four directions, guard, evade in four directions, grab and throw in four directions, pick up and throw items in four directions, fall, hit the floor, retaliate when downed, taunt in three different manners, etc. And I haven't even BEGAN to talk at how they react to other characters' actions, or how they use dozens upon dozens of different items. Just adding ONE new character adds a surplus of computer work that the likes of you haven't wrapped your head around.
  • infestedandy - February 23, 2012 10:05 p.m.

Wow, I guess I touched a nerve. Look, if you have to use "four directions" as an example to stress the depth of Smash Bros. characters there's an issue. Classic fighters have practically everything you listed and more. You obviously must have played other fighting games in your lifetime, so I'd take a careful look at what you just posted and realize the ignorance behind your statement. I get you're a big fan but don't overlook the things they could do better with flagrant fanboy-ism. Oh, and what about everything else I said? I take it you absolutely loved the single-player adventure?
  • number1hitjam - February 22, 2012 9:58 p.m.

there is no such thing as a lazy developer
  • ParagonT - February 23, 2012 6:47 a.m.

I agree on certain parts of your comment, others... I'm not so sure about.
  • GameManiac - February 21, 2012 10:03 p.m.

Look at the Star Fox character in my profile image. She's practically a shoe-in.
  • GameManiac - February 21, 2012 10:09 p.m.

Her and Zoroark from the Pokemon series. I even recall a past article mentioning how Zoroark's illusory abilities could be proficiently used for its moveset.
  • Defguru7777 - February 21, 2012 10:34 p.m.

Not to dampen your hopes, but she was more of a shoe-in in Brawl. The last game Krystal was in was Star Fox Command in 2006. Since Brawl came out, only one Star Fox game has been released, and it was a remake of a game that she wasn't in. Granted, I think it'd be cool if she controlled more like she did in Adventures than Fox, Falco, and Wolf in Melee/Brawl.
  • GameManiac - February 22, 2012 10:01 a.m.

Funny you should mention that, about her being more likely to be in Brawl than in SSB4. http://redcardgroup.com/granite/?p=2506 Somehow, Wolf got in rather than Krystal, even though Krystal was ranked 7th in that poll order, and Wolf wasn't even on it. Looking back at this, it's a coin flip. Heads: you get Fox McCloud's rival. Tails: You get Fox McCloud's love interest. It can only be one or the other, but not both. Still, I'm still hopeful that she gets in, primarily because I believe she's the most competent Star Fox character if Sakurai ever decided to add in a fourth.
  • Defguru7777 - February 22, 2012 11:28 a.m.

I like Wolf a lot more than Krystal, so that doesn't bother me. Either way, if they add in another Star Fox character, let's hope they're different from Fox/Falco/Wolf.
  • GameManiac - February 23, 2012 10:39 a.m.

Agreed.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - February 21, 2012 8:48 p.m.

Also I'm gonna appeal to GR on this one and say Okami would make an incredible character for Smash. If they got her to work for MvC3, they can easily do it for Smash.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - February 21, 2012 8:44 p.m.

I don't care about new characters, or new level systems, or any of that. Pretty much the only thing I want out of this Smash game... CUSTOMIZABLE MOVESETS. Let me use Mario with his insane original SSB moveset instead of the shitty FLUDD one. Let me use Falco without the kick reflector and with his original kick forward smash. Let me use DK's original SSB breakdancing downsmash for shits and giggles. CMON LET'S MAKE IT HAPPEN!
  • GameManiac - February 22, 2012 10:02 a.m.

There is a shred of possibility of this from what Sakurai mentioned...
  • Killshot - February 21, 2012 7:58 p.m.

Megaman he really needs to be in a fighting game, specially with all the power-ups he's gotten over the years.
  • Trond.. - February 21, 2012 7:51 p.m.

Imp Midna w/Wolf Link and Adult Midna. She could have cool powers with that mask/helmet of hers.
  • coryhendetta - February 21, 2012 7:41 p.m.

What we need are Andy and Sami from Advance Wars. A couple of Golden Sun characters would be good as well. Also characters from Dragon Quest, which is extremely feasible what with Fortune Street having come out recently. And most of all? The Dragonborn.
  • Fuzunga - February 21, 2012 7:33 p.m.

Oh, I know a company he can enlist. How about HAL? HOW ABOUT THAT, HUH!?
  • J-Fid - February 21, 2012 7:16 p.m.

Shantae is an under appreciated character who would fit perfectly in Smash Bros. Although she is a third-party character (WayForward) she's only appeared on Nintendo systems. Appearing in Smash Bros. would bring huge (and well deserving) publicity to both the character, and the company. Also, I don't believe any third-party company should have more than one representative. Smash Bros. is a celebration of Nintendo, and too many third-party characters would overshadow that. Too many people want more Sonic characters, but one loud, blue hedgehog is more than plenty for me.
  • winner2 - February 21, 2012 6:54 p.m.

The shadow mario from super mario sunshine (bowser jr), with the paintbrush.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - February 21, 2012 8:46 p.m.

I could see a Zelda/Sheik style thing going there with Bowser Jr. and Shadow Mario... maybe
  • Marteo Broter - February 21, 2012 6:48 p.m.

Always thought paper mario would make a sick character.