• Kyo - November 10, 2011 8:30 p.m.

Nice guide, though I find it hard to decide who I should believe in the end.. IGN's guide had this "Tough and hardy, they make great heavy warriors. Their famed battlecry makes them the toughest races" for Nords... You have them as one of the weakest and a light armor class.. what the hell? lol This ruined my entire plan O_O
  • misfit119 - November 11, 2011 1:21 a.m.

Here's the thing, IGN's guide is using the old stats to describe some of the races. This is no longer a factor. Nords are no longer raging beasts full of HP due to having high Stamina. In this they're almost designed to be like Viking Berserker types, wearing light armor so they move quickly with a pair of axes and chop fools to pieces. My Nord is hell on wheels wielding two enchanted Orcish war axes and wearing a set of Scaled Light armor. Battlecry is overrated - all of the abilities are actually. The Shouts are infinitely stronger.
  • GamesRadarMatthewKeast - November 11, 2011 12:42 p.m.

Most of the racial abilities are crap, but for instance I played as a High Elf pure mage and the magicka regen ability was huge during boss fights.
  • BladedFalcon - November 14, 2011 1:43 p.m.

I'd imagine the Adrenaline rush from the Redguards must be pretty cool in some situations as well. That's the race I'm probably gonna pick anyway. Used to be a fan of the Nords and I picked them for both Morrowing and oblivion. But I honestly felt like they ruined them in this game. I mean, not saying they are worthless by any means, but I think they are definitely not as great as they sued to be before. Even ignoring racial abilities, the fact that they have bonus on both one hand and two hand seems a bit redundant, since most people are probably gonna focus on one style anyway.
  • Ultimadrago - November 10, 2011 8:21 p.m.

Thanks a TON Daniel! This is a good guide. I should help others a ton. I'm reading through it all myself despite Oblivion experience to get a heads-up on the improved systems and perks!
  • D0CCON - November 10, 2011 7:04 p.m.

I always make two characters in Elder Scrolls games, a sword and/or magic character and a stealthy character. In Oblivion, the sword/magic character was a High Elf and the stealthy character was a dark elf, so I think I'll go for a Breton battlemage and a Khajiit stealth character this time (especially since he'll be able to wear armor now!)
  • D0CCON - November 10, 2011 7:29 p.m.

Actually, I'm not sure if I want Khajiit or Wood Elf (I was actually a wood elf, not a dark elf in Oblivion). I'd like to try something new, but Wood Elf did work pretty darn good.
  • misfit119 - November 11, 2011 1:23 a.m.

The Wood Elves make FANTASTIC stealth characters. I'm playing one to do the guides since their bow skill makes dragon hunting much, much easier. The Khajiit are pretty awesome in this one but I think the Wood Elf is by and far the best for combat stealth.
  • jasoncarter - November 13, 2011 11:34 p.m.

Honestly do whatever you feel is best. I like magic, and khajiits, thus khajiit mage/thief. Love it to death.
  • codzprc - November 10, 2011 6:52 p.m.

Daniel was obviously rushed on this article. The Cyrodill thing is still funny, though. Decent read.
  • theycallmegep - November 10, 2011 6:43 p.m.

Just to let you know... "As is par for the course, the player gets to pick from a wide variety of races. However, this is more important than ever before as there are no classes, birth signs or even stats. You’re going to want to pick your class very carefully. " "...there are no classes..." "...pick your class very carefully." Just pointing it out, otherwise good stuff...I love all the skyrim content you guys have posted!
  • theycallmegep - November 10, 2011 7:16 p.m.

wait i lied...there are tons of typos...oh well
  • misfit119 - November 11, 2011 1:17 a.m.

Argh! Dammit all! Proofreading you fail me again. out back to commit seppuku.
  • jax1293 - November 10, 2011 6:32 p.m.

hes right though its tamriel cyrodill was where the imperials live in oblivion
  • Bansheebot - November 10, 2011 6:28 p.m.

World of "CYRODIIL"!!!!!1111?!~!!???!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE -IT'S TAMRIEL YOU IGN'RNT BAG OF FLESH.
  • misfit119 - November 11, 2011 1:19 a.m.

If we're being really picky it should be Nirn since Cyrodil is just a continent, not the world. But who nitpicks?
  • Person5 - November 11, 2011 2:49 a.m.

Well Cyrodil is a country or region, Tamriel is the continent, I'm just glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that
  • deedob - November 11, 2011 4:34 a.m.

Yeah, as those comments say, Cyrodil is not the "world". Cyrodil is the name of the imperial province. Morrowind is the name of the province ruled by the dark elves. Skyrim is the name of the province ruled by the nords, which is located just north of Cyrodil and west of Morrowind. "Tamriel" is the name of the continent where the provinces are located, one for each race (Skyrim - nord, Summerset Isle - high elves, Morrowind - dark elves, Cyrodil - imperials, Black Marsh - argonian, Elsweyr - Kahjit, and the Breton and orc province whose name i forgot and where Daggerfall is.) To the best of my knowledge, the name of the "world" itself has never been mentionned in any of the Elder Scrolls game (though i have not played Redguard, BattleSpire and the mobile version of Oblivion). But the continent is Tamriel.
  • misfit119 - November 11, 2011 8:55 a.m.

As I mentioned above the world is Nirn. That's actually what it's supposed to say but I made a flub since I was looking at notes relating to Oblivion. The worlds name is mentioned in several books in previous games. I was trying to refer to the world since Alduin is known as "The World Eater" and just ended up typing Cyrodiil instead of Nirn.
  • GamesRadarMatthewKeast - November 11, 2011 12:37 p.m.

All right you nerds we fixed it.