• BladedFalcon - May 3, 2013 9:17 a.m.

" We continue to support the game, and will defend the rights of entertainers to share their works-in-progress without fear of frivolous litigation." Right... Because people calling out on your game looking completely different from what you promised is totally frivolous *rolls eyes* How about instead, when you show work in progress, yeah, show whatever you want... FROM THE ACTUAL GAME you're working on and for the platforms you'll be releasing it to. Not a bullshit super polished demo running on high end specs that in no way reflects the overall experience >_>
  • db1331 - May 3, 2013 9:53 a.m.

"Not a bullshit super polished demo running on high end specs that in no way reflects the overall experience >_>" This is what R* is doing right now with all the GTA V promotional material. Yet millions of gamers still believe that the game will look like that on their 360/PS3. I agree, it's a seedy practice for sure, but it happens with nearly every game. No one got upset when Bethesda used a maxed out PC build for their trailer, then added a "Play it best on Xbox 360" ad at the end. Now obviously the discrepancy there is nowhere near as pronounced as with A:CM, but it's still the same thing, albeit to a lesser degree.
  • ParagonT - May 3, 2013 10:26 a.m.

It sucks that many gamers do believe that, but it still doesn't make it okay. The only time its apparently a problem to consumers is when we have a bad experience with that product, e.g. A:CM and the whole PS3 Skyrim debacle. It's all about when consumers say the line has been drawn. It's easier to forgive and forget about the problems of a game when it gives you a great experience.
  • db1331 - May 3, 2013 10:30 a.m.

Exactly this. The Skyrim trailer was made on a PC, probably getting over 60fps. Then you buy it on PS3 and you have a framerate cap of 30fps, and are likely in the 20s at any given time. When you are that low to begin with, the slightest dip in performance is going to be REALLY noticeable. If you're at 60fps and you take a quick 10 frame dip, you might not even notice it. If you are at 26fps and take a 10 frame hit though, then you get that chuggy mess that you see on PS3.
  • BladedFalcon - May 3, 2013 10:53 a.m.

Yes, I see your point. But I wasn't just talking about the graphics. Even though Skyrim does looks significantly inferior in PS3 than what shown in the trailers, I still could tell the trailer did reflect the end product, and delivered on what it promised, even if framerate and resolution wasn't as great on consoles. The problem with A:CM wasn't that it looked prettier in the trailers, it was that it looked like a different game entirely. It's as if 2K had marketed Bioshock infinite on the last months using the same material they showed 3 years ago instead of using the assets of the final build of the game.
  • db1331 - May 3, 2013 11:01 a.m.

Sure. And gamers need to do a better job of knowing what to expect. To stick with out current example, I knew I would love Skyrim since I love the series (and all of Bethsoft's open world games), so I preordered it just to have it loaded and ready to play at midnight. I did NOT preorder A:CM because I knew that for whatever reason it's nearly impossible for a company to make a good Aliens game. I expected A:CM to be bad, but not nearly as horrible as it turned out. I would have been delighted to have been proven wrong, but that's not the case. If you preordered A:CM and you were expecting a good game (Nevermind the fact that it was coming from the same company as Duke Nukem Forever) you honestly deserved and needed to be taught this lesson.
  • BladedFalcon - May 3, 2013 11:19 a.m.

Well... yes and no. I mean, sure, pedigree and knowing what to expect is a huge part of it. And as someone who isn't that into aliens, I wasn't interested in the game either. But that's not the point I was arguing here. I mean, even by watching the demo and trailers they showed, I wasn't interested in that game either. BUT if that was the game that came out, even if it was still crappy, not many would have made that much of a fuss because hey, like you said, everyone knows alien games tend to be bad. But the reason why people are causing a ruckus, and why I DO agree Gearbox and SEGA should be held accountable, is because they didn't deliver EVEN that, they delivered a different and WORSE game. And doesn't matter if the promised product would have still been crap, that you deliver something so different from what you promised should NEVER be an acceptable practice. And companies shouldn't be able to get away with it.
  • Shinn - May 4, 2013 12:26 a.m.

You certainly have a point, and I personally wouldn't bother with a suit like this because the developers probably couldn't have done anything differently. But that doesn't change the fact that advertising something as being an accurate representation of a product, and then releasing a product which is nothing like that representation is breaking the law.
  • db1331 - May 3, 2013 8:18 a.m.

Maybe both sides can reach some agreement, like making everyone at Gearbox and Sega play Aliens: Colonial Marines to completion. I think that would be a fair punishment.
  • Sy87 - May 3, 2013 8:56 a.m.

Yeah they should.
  • Frieza - May 3, 2013 8:15 a.m.

It would be hilarious if Sega and Gearbox lose this case. I hope this acts as a wake up call for Sega. They really need to turn their company around and start making better games, or they may face the same fate many other game companies have experienced this year... I'm just speculating of course, but still.
  • winner2 - May 3, 2013 7:59 a.m.

Behold a game so shitty it sparked a lawsuit lol
  • Bloodstorm - May 3, 2013 7:56 a.m.

Sega has sucked for a long time, but Gearbox keeps digging themselves deeper. Didn't help that Borderlands 2 hardly managed to live up to expectation (I enjoyed that there was more story, but where was all the loot? We rarely found a weapon that was above green).