• RODTheMaster - September 10, 2013 12:16 p.m.

QOTW: There is an achievement in Rock Band 2 called "Iron Bladder," which requires a player and his band to complete the Endless Setlist (84 Tracks) without failing a song or hitting the pause button. So at a friend's birthday party, 3 of us decided to give it a try. We prepared, ate, used the restroom and we were ready to go. Now throughout, the three of us traded instruments around in order to avoid getting winded. So, 80 songs in, for the Steely Dan song "Bodhisattva," I was playing bass and was feeling a little cocky. I started imitating a rifle with the guitar, much like Iron Maiden bassist Steve Harris, and my finger slipped onto the pause button. Needless to say, the achievement was void and all effort spent up to that point was completely useless. My friends did not talk to me for a while and we never tried again. Screw that achievement.
  • FeatherHoof - September 10, 2013 11:55 a.m.

To preface this, I'm terrible at card games; solitaire, blackjack, and, especially, poker. When I heard there were unlockable heads and skins for Borderlands 2 within Poker Night at the Inventory 2, I was ecstatic, at first. When I finally obtained the Hippity Hoppity head (Sam from Sam & Max) for the Mechromancer and a lifetime earnings of -$2.5 million in Poker Night 2, I pretty much gave up on the others.
  • FeatherHoof - September 10, 2013 11:02 p.m.

Actually, I meant to say it's Max's head. Not Sam's.
  • sumone666 - September 10, 2013 6:49 a.m.

The hardest unlockable I never got was getting Mew in super smash bros Melee. I played for hours and hours and never got this trophy.
  • StrayGator - September 10, 2013 12:04 a.m.

I 100%'d every game in TT's LEGO [franchise] series. Not the hardest thing to do but a sizable time investment nonetheless, at ~30hrs for each of 12 games. Still less than the time I put into Borderlands. Come on Lego Marvel!
  • Spieg89 - September 9, 2013 7:11 p.m.

Halo Reach contains a little achievement called "If They Came to Hear Me Beg". In case you don't know it is awarded for Performing an Assassination against an Elite to survive a fall that would've been fatal. This achievement has proved almost impossible for me. I know tons of people who have gotten it and I tried dozens of times for hours trying to get it. I watched videos, had friends try to help me. But to this day I still don't have it. Maybe I need to get some Arnette sunglasses and maybe I can finally get this most coveted achievement.
  • NOGIRLSIWANNAJETPACK - September 9, 2013 9:51 a.m.

I worked really hard to find Pokemon Green version in my Red version game. My brother told me about the green game, so I thought it had to be somewhere in mine.
  • OblivJ2 - September 9, 2013 8:47 a.m.

Knights of the Round Table in Final Fantasy VII
  • Cutter99 - September 8, 2013 6:28 p.m.

Okay - here's the unlock that I worked for months at, but never actually achieved: Saving the Earth from the Kilrathi Invasion in Wing Commander III. I didn't know that there were branching stories - I didn't know that the Kilrathi invasion actually threatening Earth was the final mission of the "bad" story (where I had earlier erred, and we were all doomed.) All I knew was that the furry menace was at the gates, I had a sweet experimental space-fighter, and Mark Hamill put his helmet on like steel-eyed hero to go give those cosmic kittens what for! That last fight - despite being completely unwinnable - was the most epic thing I have ever participated in. Eisen uses your carrier to ram a dreadnaught, I flew the Excalibur *inside* the Kilrathi command ship's hangar deck and single-handedly destroyed it, I killed wave after wave of fighter craft until finally my arm was so cramped on the flight stick I started to make mistakes and the bastards got me... I fought so hard for that - it's something I'll never, ever forget.
  • archnite - September 8, 2013 5:10 p.m.

QOTW: I'm happy about getting the iPod track "Snake Eater" in MGS4, TWICE. This requires seven playthroughs, covering every possible way to beat the game including No Kill, No Heal, No Alert in under 5 hours for ONE of the playthroughs, the other six are dumb shit. Did this once for personal satisfaction back in 2006 and again in four days starting the day of when trophies were added to MGS4 five years later to get the Platinum. "Snake Eater" gives you every stat boost available in the game while it plays and is also fucking awesome.
  • Sinosaur - September 8, 2013 9:12 a.m.

My unlock story happened when I played Metal Gear Solid, when I was in middle school and you heard rumors about things... things you had no way to check except to try them. The amazing unlock I was hunting for started easily enough: If you beat the game saving Meryl, you get the unlimited ammo headband, if you beat the game saving Otacon, you get the cloak, then if you beat it both ways you get the tuxedo. So obviously there's a ton of things you can unlock by beating the game... I was told you could unlock the ability to play Cyborg Ninja if you unlocked the tuxedo and then beat the game in under three hours with no saves (except the disc change save). Get to play as the bad ass sword wielding ninja robot?! I'm in middle school, so of course I'm going to try that. I go in on easy, rush the game as hard as I can, let Meryl die by giving up immediately (I wasn't very good at rapid button pressing at the time). I finish and... nothing. Maybe you have to save Meryl, so I go one more time, get to the torture part and have my friend do it for me (yeah, I sucked). After that, smooth sailing for the rest of the game and... nothing. At this point I'm thinking that this means that I'm not unlocking anything because I was playing on Easy. Start new game on normal, turns out I kind of suck. I borrowed my copy of the game from a friend and he kind of wants it back, so I'm feeling under pressure. It's been like two weeks now and he wants it back and I'm just not good enough... Return the game to my friend, tell everyone I debunked it, you totally can't unlock Ninja as a playable character... still secretly wondering if it was only because I was only able to beat the game on Easy.
  • shawksta - September 8, 2013 2:35 a.m.

Welcome to the site Zach, here's to great times! Yes, we love Henry for all those things :3 NINTENDO, DOOMED SINCE 89 APPARENTLY Happy Eventual Birthday Henry :D I love the Mega Forms, im dissapointed at how your failing to see the subtle awesomeness of Mega Venasaur.
  • shawksta - September 8, 2013 3:19 a.m.

QOTW: Rhythm Heaven Fever is already a wacky game with simple as hell controls but hard as hell difficulty. Getting all Perfects was one of the hardest things i ever done in my life. You have so many Rhythm styles, with different speeds and so many throw offs and the most painful of it all is how a big letter P is standing on the corner of the screen flashing at every single button press and when you make 1 mistake it makes this heart wrenching glass shattering sound effect to let you know you messed up. Remixes were pain in the ass, especially the bane of all hell that is Remix 10 giving you Rhythm games you dont even have an actual representation for like the f*cking tutorial and ending credits game. And what do i get for kicking your ass of getting all perfects? Aside from rewards like music and reading material for each game, all of them gets you an Endless game consisting of %50 of the single player endless games along with 3 never seen before games that you literally get no f*cking practice for and have to figure out yourself. WHOOPDYF*CKINGDOO
  • shawksta - September 8, 2013 3:22 a.m.

And another thing about Perfects, you can never get them whenever you want. You have to wait for a specific time for an actual perfect chance has appeared for a game(RANDOMLY BY THE WAY, ITS NEVER THE GAME YOUR READY FOR) and your given only 3 tries, making it even MORE frustrating.
  • SuperSkrull99 - September 8, 2013 2:18 a.m.

I unlocked the autumn mode in mario, Although I didnt know it was a hard unlockable until you mentioned it in this podcast, I must of been between the age of 6 or 7, Me and my dad beat the game and got every star together.
  • Zeos - September 8, 2013 12:21 a.m.

My most recent crappy experience with unlocking in a game wad with One Piece Pirate Warriors, trying to platinum it. The damn coins you have to collect in order to unlock every skill for a trophy. The easiest way was to play level 11 in story mode, it did jot take long, but oh-god the monotony! I ended up giving up when I only needed 2 more coins...ugh.
  • BladedFalcon - September 7, 2013 11:27 a.m.

Welcome to the site Zach! QOTW: Trying to collect all the souls of all the monsters in Castlevania:Dawn of Sorrow was a BITCH to do. Not only because there were over 300 monsters and enemies in the game, but because these are random drops that in many cases, could require killing the same enemy over 1000 times and STILL not get the damn soul you wanted. And not JUST THAT, but in this particular game, collecting the same soul several times stacked to create a more powerful version of the ability each soul had... Which basically meant "Have fun harvesting 9 souls of this super rare enemy that may not even yield a single soul unless the random number generator of the game FUCKING FEELS LIKE IT" Have I mentioned that I HATE random loot drops?
  • sketchlayerjosh - September 7, 2013 6:55 a.m.

My most frustrating unlockable experience came during The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. In order to unlock the Fierce Diety Mask (the one that turns Link into hella badass mode that fires sword lasers), you had to complete a level where you turn into a Goron, roll into a ball, and navigate a series of narrow paths, all while on a time limit. I tried that stage over and over for literally days, covering up the power light on my N64 for my parents wouldn't know I was leaving the system turned on. I kept falling off the walkway over and over when I tried to go around corners. I couldn't believe Nintendo would make a level so frustratingly. Then, after three days, I discovered the trick to it. Turns out, you just have to hold the analog stick forward. If you hold forward, you'll automatically bounce around the corners, and you don't even have to worry about navigating the narrow walkway. Just hold the stick forward for about a minute and a half, and BAM, you're done. It's one of the easiest challenges in the game, if you know this. Once I realized how much time I'd wasted, I didn't know whether to be mad at the game or myself. All I Know is that I blame my high blood pressure to this day on that one section of the game.
  • sketchlayerjosh - September 7, 2013 6:58 a.m.

Ah! The typos in that post! Such was my anger at the memory, I suppose.
  • rainn'sgaydar - September 7, 2013 5:30 a.m.

I worked stupidly hard for my Persona 4 Golden platinum trophy. Namely though, the Hardcore Risette Fan trophy. I had to play the game twice to get every other trophy, so I was about 150 hours deep and faced with quite a decision. Do I start over and get this single BRONZE trophy for the sake of 100% completion or just let it go? I pondered this dilemma for about a month and restarted. It took me all the way to halfway through (SPOILER ALERT) Adachi's dungeon. In all, I spent 200 hours trying for a single bronze trophy.