Rockstar parent company Take-Two has described Manhunt 2 as a "fine piece of art," in reaction to the bans that the sequel has received.
The BBC reported the company's chairman Strauss Zelnick said "Manhunt 2 had his full support and that consumers should decide for themselves."
In a statement, Zelnick said, "The Rockstar team has come up with a game that fits squarely within the horror genre and was intended to do so. It brings a unique, formerly unheard of cinematic quality to interactive
It was always going to be surrounded by controversy and yesterday Take-Two Interactive announced that the Entertainment Software Rating Board had given Manhunt 2 the "AO," or Adults only rating. This announcement came after the British Board of Film Classification announced that it had rejected Manhunt 2 for rating, meaning that - unless Rockstar resubmits a diluted version of its ultra-violent excursion into the morally unsettling - the game will never be released in the UK. Similarily in
After the British Board of Film Classification's announcement today that it has rejected Manhunt 2 for rating in the UK, the Entertainment Software Rating Board has told GamesRadar that it has already assigned a rating to Manhunt 2 for its release in the US.
"An ESRB rating has been assigned to the Wii, PS2 and PSP versions of Manhunt 2, and Rockstar has been notified," ESRB president Patricia Vance told us. "However, we are unable to publicly release the rating at this time as it is our
Rockstar has issued GamesRadar an official response to today's announcement by the BBFC that it has rejected Manhunt 2 for rating in the UK. Here's the statement in full:
"We are disappointed with the recent decision by the British Board of Film Classification to refuse classification of Manhunt 2. While we respect the authority of the classification board and will abide by the rules, we emphatically disagree with this particular decision.
"Manhunt 2 is an entertainment experience for fans of
As you've no doubt read this morning, Manhunt 2 has been rejected by the BBFC - meaning that no one outside of Rockstar will ever play the game. Except, that is, our magazine comrades at UK NGamer, who bagged the world's first review of the Wii and PS2 splatterfest.
The highly positive review, which awarded Manhunt 2 a score of 92%, appears in the latest issue of NGamer, out tomorrow for the UK. So we've scoured it for some key excerpts that might explain why the BBFC has been left feeling
The British Board of Film Classification has rejected Manhunt 2 for its "unremitting bleakness" and "casual sadism." This means you won't be able to buy it legally in the UK, unless Rockstar resubmits a changed version of the game.
Here's the BBFC's announcement in full. It makes for interesting reading...
“Rejecting a work is a very serious action and one which we do not take lightly. Where possible we try to consider cuts or, in the case of games, modifications which remove the
Friday 15 June 2007
Manhunt was all about tension. It was also about suffocating violent sociopaths with carrier bags, but the barbaric brutality was heightened by an ever-present sense of uneasiness that simply refused to let the player relax - even after a blood-hungry hunter had been successfully decapitated with a length of wire.
After giving us an insight into Manhunt 2's environments, developer Rockstar now talks about some of the mechanics that will make Manhunt 2 an even more
There's little doubt that Manhunt 2 is going to be another unsettling journey into gaming's darkest alleyways. We've witnessed the brutality that wait in both the Wii and PS2 versions and we can confirm that Rockstar is priming another genuinely disturbing episode for gamers to endure.
But the 18-rated gore is only one aspect of creating a truly traumatic ordeal - the world in which the unholy horrors are acted out must provide a suitably bleak setting that will submerge the player fully into
GamePolitics is reporting via "multiple sources" that Florida Attorney General Bill McCollum has expressed concern over the impending release of Rockstar's controversial game on Nintendo's next-gen
Rockstar has kept us in the dark on Manhunt 2, aside from ensuring we're all aware it'll be just as shocking as the original. But a disturbing new update to the official site - and some new shots - hint at a larger, playable role for Leo Kasper, who we originally believed to be a supporting character alongside lead murderer Daniel Lamb.
On the site, a grimy new page offers up a recording of Kasper being questioned at the Dixmor Hospital for the Criminally Insane. It's certainly not for the