• sandplasma - May 21, 2013 9:29 p.m.

Congrats to both companies for firing their design teams and making their consoles actual ugly boxes.
  • winner2 - May 21, 2013 9:33 p.m.

Since I watch TV in a different room, don't care about playing online, and don't care about sports, the ps4 looks better to me. But I still won't be buying anything next gen but games on PC until a good price drop and a clearer picture once they're both out for a while after that.
  • Redeater - May 21, 2013 11:15 p.m.

I get that naming it Xbox one will make it easier for the inevitable Xbox 2. That said, did they learn fucking nothing from Nintendo?? I read a hilarious mock conversation on another website between your average uniformed customer and a retail employee. Apparently, the average joe/jill is having a difficult enough time differentiating between the Wii and the Wii U......how many emails are they going to have to send to customers when people say "I already have that Xbox, my kid wants the Xbox 720 or Xbox 4....."
  • xplode77 - May 22, 2013 11:04 a.m.

probably ps4, sincei i dont think xbox will change the way u access content via xbox lives subscription service, as long as sony doesnt change their subscription service, its not contest. Also, it seems...sonys focus is games, while microsofts is sports and accessing web, while pushing the kinect.
  • GhostNappa2k10 - May 22, 2013 11:09 a.m.

Right now, as much as I like Microsoft, I think Sony are winning, and probably will win the next gen. Unless they utterly mess up later down the line.
  • bebl09 - May 22, 2013 11:20 a.m.

Is this a joke? Sony wins purely for the fact that the Xbox charges for used games, requires an internet connection, requires mandatory full installs, and is essentially a TV box rather than a games console.
  • tlcdlite - May 22, 2013 1:52 p.m.

That's Bs and you know it..get informed
  • BladedFalcon - May 22, 2013 1:58 p.m.

He is very well informed, Microsoft has confirmed all that.
  • bebl09 - May 22, 2013 3:18 p.m.

I think you're the one that should get informed mate, as the other guy already said, it's all been confirmed by Microsoft. Just because they didn't mention it on stage in their conference (they're not quite THAT stupid) doesn't mean they didn't talk about it in other interviews.
  • Figments - May 24, 2013 6:50 p.m.

1) Sony hasn't even said anything about their used games policies yet, so we don't know jack. 2) Microsoft has plenty of time to fix their stupid policies before E3 when everything is more or less settled about the Internet thing. Honestly, I don't care either way, but if you want to play without having the Internet, then you should be able to play. Hopefully this will be remedied and all this gloom and doom can be directed towards where it should go: godawful digital cameras and their massive lenses. 3) Your PC already requires mandatory full installs. Your point? 3) I'm sorry. It appears you missed the memo Microsoft sent out a few weeks ago where they said that this previous press conference wasn't going to have any, if at all, gaming-related news, and that E3 was where they were going to show off the big guns. Why spoil the whole storyline in the first act of the play?
  • bebl09 - May 24, 2013 7:25 p.m.

If you notice, the article is titled "Which one looks best [so far]?" And so my comment stands, just because Sony haven't said anything about used games, so far we know that Microsoft will be charging for them so Sony should win so far just off that. Again, your point #2 isn't really valid because so far, requiring an online connection is fucking ridiculous. I agree about cameras though. A console isn't a PC. I should be able to insert my game and play it without worrying about installs, or how much space I have on my hard drive. The fact that the One will only have 500GB doesn't help, I mean how many full games will that fit? I'm not sure if you noticed but you have two point #3s lol. Again, based on who won so far, Sony should win on games because Microsoft showed bugger on in their conference. Yes, they've said it wasn't about games, but if GR are going to have a section on games then you can judge them. It was also a joke GR gving Microsoft a win simply because they said there'll be 15 new exclusives. For all we know literally every one of those could be a god awful Kinect game (I'm not saying they will be, just that we know nothing about them) whereas Sony actually showed games and gameplay.
  • bebl09 - May 24, 2013 7:26 p.m.

That should read "bugger all" at the end of the 2nd line of the final paragraph. I don't want GR to start using DIsqus but they could at least put in an edit button lol.
  • Adi_9194 - May 31, 2013 9:27 a.m.

So that people don't walk out or chuck vegetables at the actors before the second act. That's why.
  • Unoriginal - May 22, 2013 11:37 a.m.

I will wait for E3 before making the final purchase decision but as of right now PS4 is leaps and bounds ahead. I understand that being on Spike and all yesterdays event had to be mainstream focused but that doesn't excuse the fact that more attention was given to Cablebox intergration than games. My country doesn't even have traditional Cable so the XONE is useless to me.
  • tlcdlite - May 22, 2013 1:38 p.m.

This was not E3 dude!! It was only a reveal...wait till E3!!!!
  • bebl09 - May 22, 2013 3:16 p.m.

Even if your country did have traditional cable, it's been confirmed that the TV features will only be available in the US at launch http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-live-tv-only-available-in-the-us-at-launch
  • death4us - May 22, 2013 11:50 a.m.

And the biggest winner is .......................... the computer.
  • PolarBearsInHeat - May 22, 2013 12:01 p.m.

I really think it'll the same thing as last-gen. Honestly, I'm damn near 100% sure the x-one will win (sales-wise) in North America and PS4 will win abroad. As of right now, there's so much announced content readily available and easily accessible on the x-one for the American market (and to a lesser extent, the Canadian market) for your average North American consumer to pass up on it. However, we have yet to see what kind of exclusivity deals (if any) will be announced in the EU. A recurring argument is also being made that "the games make the console/the best exclusives will win/win the software devs, win the console war" and those statements are hardly true. As far as the whole exclusives thing goes, very little can be said before we get to E3. Until we have a real idea of just what Microsoft's first-party devs are doing behind closed-doors, we absolutely cannot say for sure who will dominate exclusive-wise. For Msoft or Sony to "win" the console war, they've gotta get a hell of a lot of sales. To do that, they have to broaden their market past gamers. It's just the way it is and Microsoft has put on a more mature, entertainment oriented mantle with the x-one than Sony is adopting for the PS4, which will decidedly be a boon to them when trying to cater to an older audience. Additionally, I know there have been many people arguing over GDDR5 being so vastly superior to DDR3, but most of those people have little to no understanding of how RAM really affects performance (in reality, GDDR5 is not nearly as beneficial as most people are making it out to be).
  • Divine Paladin - May 24, 2013 12:30 p.m.

I legitimately can't see the One winning in NA this time around. Yes, the 360 clearly has that locked down here compared to PS3, but I feel like you grossly underestimate the backlash against the One's reveal by saying it will win. I've seen almost nothing but hate for it regardless of any forum bias; my personal group of friends who currently trend toward 360 (but are all open-minded generally) have already decided on PS4, as will most of the true core market. (I say true core because there are those that call themselves core but really only play a few AAA games.) Most gamers with respect for the industry will likely not support the console when it's become a media console more than a gaming one - not to mention the possible outright destruction of the used game market. And the casual market, well, perhaps they'll buy into it. But even then, the price really defines that; if it's truly $600 as rumored, I can't see it exactly hopping off shelves. (I'd think that they're going lower, though, because they can make a killing off of Live and the nonessentials and can take a loss on hardware itself.) Keep in mind that Call of Duty consistently sells 15 or so million copies on 360, which amounts to about 10-12 million gamers and a few million more casual fun-seekers. If those gamers jump ship - and current reaction dictates most will - it's a safe bet that they're losing a BIG portion of their market; unless the casual market can reach let's say 1.5x the former core 360 market, I truly cannot see it winning in the US. (And given the Wii's still-prevailing success and the older market you spoke of having no need or want for upgraded hardware, I can't see that happening.)
  • StrayGator - May 22, 2013 12:38 p.m.

AnandTech did a more thorough comparison from a purely technical (hardware) point of view. Turns out that PS4 is both more powerful (with faster memory and 50% more graphics horsepower) and leaner (no simultaneus virtualized OSs) On the other hand, the X-bone is expected to consume less power (which also translates usually to quieter operation). The PS3 had a somewhat weaker GPU than the X360, so it suffered from spotty performance in games that weren't optimized for the lowest common denominator. With the X1's GPU being 2/3 the PS4 GPU (literally - both use same architecture and process, 768 proccessing units in the X1 and 1152 in the PS4) I'm afraid to think how it's going to perform.