Monday 19 February 2007
PlayStation 3's Virtua Fighter 5 has beaten off massed opposition from Nintendo to top the Japanese sales chart in its first week, giving Sony its first ever PS3 chart topper - and making it the first PS3 game to enter the top ten - in Japan since the next-gen console launched last November.
The rest of the top ten boasts seven titles from Nintendo platforms, five of those released on DS, and two PS2 games. Meanwhile in the hardware chart, Sony spanked Microsoft, shifting 23,000 PS3s - more than five times the number of Xbox 360 sales. Although, amazingly, Nintendo managed to sell over three times as many Wiis, for a weekly total of 78,000.
Japanese Software Top 10:
1. Virtua Fighter (PS3, Sony)
2. Wii Sports (Wii, Nintendo)
3. Wii Play (Wii, Nintendo)
4. Motto Nou o Kitaeru Otona no DS Training (DS, Nintendo)
5. New Super Mario Bros. (DS, Nintendo)
6. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2, Capcom)
7. Kaitou Wario the Seven (DS, Nintendo)
8. Bokujou Monogatari: Kimi to Sodatsu Shima (DS, Marvelous)
9. Luminous Arc (DS, Marvelous)
10. J-League Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou 5 (PS2, Sega)