Topics

Hitman preview

• TheMasterJeef - January 11, 2012 12:43 p.m.

R.I.P. stealth games as we know them. I really hope this isnt the way all stealth games will think of going in the future. I honestly cannot believe companies are altering stealth games for the impatient, instant action generation (impatience and stealth game now thats an oxymoron). I remember the days of the original Tenchu, and spending an hour on just one mission. Watching patrol routes, and staying silent and hidden, just so i could get the best possible rank. Or playing MGS on the PS1, lurking in lockers and boxes as guards marched past. If you want an action game play gears of war, or CoD. PLEASE dont butcher the stealth franchises out there.
  • el.waxa - January 11, 2012 1:14 p.m.

Whatever the outcome Im sure It will be enjoyable for us fans based on the Hitman series track record and the time and effort the developers take to listen to fans (Check out Hitmanforum pre-Blood money!!!). It's very easy to confuse CYNICISM with WISDOM :)
  • IceBlueKirby - January 11, 2012 11:49 a.m.

Much as I love Splinter Cell: Conviction, I wouldn't want to see it's formula applied to Hitman. I really do hope they're holding out on us and will show something that gets people who actually like the Hitman games excited for it soon.
  • BladedFalcon - January 11, 2012 11:28 a.m.

Hrm... Well, what i had seem from the gameplay so far did look pretty slick, and it caught my eye, not gonna lie there. And being unfamiliar with previous games, the gameplay presented looked acceptable to me. Reading Dave explain it though, it does look as the game is losing a lot of cool, more cerebral stuff and instead it does sound like they are going the SC:C route. Which IS a game i liked a lot, and I might give this one a chance if it's like that, but it might be appreciated if they did attempt something more.
  • Rhymenocerous - January 11, 2012 11:12 a.m.

I'm sorry, but they really have utterly destroyed the franchise. You can see it not only in the brainless linearity and awful new me-too features, but also by listening to it. Don't forget, they changed 47's voice from David Bateson to make him sound like some sort of creepy solid snake lite. The music seems to have also lost some of it's maturity, and the whole melancholic tone of the earlier games has been replaced by a generic one man army facade in order to appeal to the cod-loving masses. A damn shame.
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - January 11, 2012 10:30 a.m.

Aw, I am really hoping this feels like a traditional Hitman game. They always felt quite unique, and these days that's what really interests me. There's too many GREAT games that feel way too similar and which ultimately don't interest me.
  • mothbanquet - January 11, 2012 10:29 a.m.

Splinter Cell was a different kettle of fish to Hitman. It was stealth-based, yes but that's where the similarities end. I have almost all the Hitman games (unfortunately I missed the first) and I've always loved the sandboxey, exploration and experimentation-driven gameplay. I could cope with Splinter Cell deviating from its formula, but only because that formula was essentially linear and one-note to begin with. All they had to do was change the style a bit and it becomes a different game, but from the sounds of it they might be changing the formula for Hitman entirely and that is NOT a good thing. I hope el.waxa below is right, because the first thing that sprang to my mind was 'tutorial' - so I won't judge too harshly until a larger segment of playable game has been released for preview but I pray that 47 doesn't end up as another 3rd person shooter - and lose his unique place in gaming altogether...
  • el.waxa - January 11, 2012 10:10 a.m.

Great article here, Some interesting points are brought up. I've played all of the games from '2 and I loved them all and I do think each installation has evolved the formula one way or another. After seeing the first gameplay trailer I was blown away. The linear nature of the one shown lead me to believe that it was the games tutorial (similar to blood money's first mission). After reading this info on another level, I cant help think that the game wont be as open either, which isnt a bad thing in my opinion as long as it isnt just Tunnels with the "Hit" at the end.
  • Peguin - January 11, 2012 10:08 a.m.

By the next preview Hopefully they will pull a 'ssx' and we will be back to the much loved bald headed one ways of doing things :)
  • GhostNappa2k10 - January 11, 2012 10:04 a.m.

This worries me, massively. I liked Splinter Cell Conviction, but this sounds nothing like a Hitman game.