• Thedigitalg - December 22, 2012 11:45 a.m.

I would have added the Biggest Improvement category in this year. FF13-2 was so infinitely better then the original. And I loved the original.
  • h8ful - December 22, 2012 11:45 a.m.

You should add a cumulative award next year for best new implementation of bow & arrow. AC3, Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, maybe The Last Of Us? It's funny how much of a ridiculous popularity boost the bow has gotten recently, but personally I couldn't be happier about it. Always badass.
  • TanookiMan - December 22, 2012 2:27 p.m.

The Hunger Games has lead a lot of people to buy bows, particularly women. Maybe it's influencing video games too.
  • TanookiMan - December 22, 2012 11:37 a.m.

I really hope to some day see a GOTY re-release of some game that also touts it as a Platinum Chalice winner.
  • occasionalgoldfish - December 22, 2012 5:13 a.m.

I am so happy that Mass Effect won those awards! I am, however, a bit sad that you don't have runners up for each category any more, like last year. But still I really enjoyed this article!
  • jackthemenace - December 22, 2012 2:50 a.m.

It's great to see Darksiders 2 get some respect- especially for it's soundtrack, which I was in love with- but I'm disappointed to see that Borderlands 2 didn't make the list anywhere, nor was it mentioned on any of the other lists. That was an amazing game,, beating it's predecessor by miles, and Handsome Jack is definitely one of the best villains I've seen in a while.
  • Sinosaur - December 21, 2012 9:34 p.m.

I was one of the people who didn't care for the original ME3 ending, but up until that point it had been an absolute blast. Then I started playing the multiplayer... fell in love. Then they put out a new ending... and suddenly I was satisfied with how they wrapped things up. Then they kept putting out upgraded to the multiplayer. I dropped it for a few months and it's managed to yank me back in, being just as fun as ever. So, yeah, ME3 disappointed me, then it more than made up for it. Totally GOTY for me (although I haven't played as many games this year as I have the last few)
  • DragonLord23 - December 21, 2012 8:53 p.m.

Loved Mass Effect 3 fro Day 1. And day 2. And after the extended cut and all the dlc.
  • BladedFalcon - December 21, 2012 8:38 p.m.

It should be noted that almost all the people that complained about ME3 back then, it was almost solely regarding the ending. You guys make it sound as if everyone that condemned the ending also condemned the entire game altogether, which was simply not the case. I was one of the people that didn't agree with the original ending, yet even when i complained, I clarified that regardless thought the game was pretty fantastic, wouldn't have played it twice otherwise. Also, I'm really happy to see Kid Icarus: Uprising getting it's proper due. Yes, the controls weren't ideal, but it was easily one of most fresh, fun, and challenging games in all year, all the game mechanics introduced such as the heart cauldron and weapon combination were masterstrokes that really increased the game's longevity in a good way. Anyway, nice to see the chalice awards alive and strong! Speaking of awesome old traditions though... I know Mikel Reparaz is long gone, and he was the one that typically wrote them... But is there any chance you guys could make the "Worst box art covers of 2012"? XD It was easily one of my favorite yearly features!
  • GR_HenryGilbert - December 22, 2012 7:23 a.m.

You might just get your Worst Box Art wish real soon
  • BladedFalcon - December 22, 2012 9:39 a.m.

Yay! :D Excellent news Henry, thanks! and good to know! ^^
  • Unoriginal - December 22, 2012 10:43 a.m.

If you somehow manage to pry the old Editorial Mummy away from Maclife to freelance that feature I will forever be in your fanbase.
  • FOZ - December 22, 2012 12:43 p.m.

I still play it to try all the classes and weapons, which are fairly improved from ME2, but each time I play it I realize more and more how much of a trainwreck the story is and how limited the player is.
  • zombi3grim - December 22, 2012 7:22 p.m.

No, that pretty much was the case. A few people loved the game but hated the ending. But for most people, including ALOT of people on this site, the ending of the game ruined the entire thing. The bitching done by everyone around was ridiculous. People saying the entire trilogy was ruined. Fucking ridiculous, all because people couldnt understand that the entire game was the ending. You have to be shallow minded as fuck to think just the part before the credits is the "ending."
  • BladedFalcon - December 22, 2012 8:31 p.m.

I'm not really speaking for people outside of this site, but yes, it's true that there definitely people that made claims such as "Ugh, the ending ruined the ENTIRE game for me" Which was stupid. But a lot of even the most vocals haters of the ending scene still acknowledged liking the game despite of it, or simply moved on.
  • zombi3grim - December 23, 2012 6:54 a.m.

You saw alot, I saw a few.
  • BladedFalcon - December 23, 2012 7:25 a.m.

*shrugs* Either way, the point is that disappointment with the ending or not, people still ultimately acknowledged how awesome ME3 anyway, and that's what matters.
  • garnsr - December 21, 2012 8:02 p.m.

I played through Okami again in HD, before I started Assassin's Creed 3. I still loved Okami, even more beautiful than originally, and I was glad I played through it instead of stopping for AC 3, because I was underwhelmed by that. Asura's Wrath was great played in just a few chunks. Much better than having to wait a whole week for a new episode.
  • Redeater - December 22, 2012 2:04 a.m.

Oh AC3. It's funny how people spent the last year "correcting" everyone who was complaining about the yearly releases. "It's been in development for three years!" they said. "It's being developed by a separate team from the ground up for a fresh new experience!!" they clamored. When all was said and done we got a half baked story, a game that felt scaled back and severely underwhelming......and bugs....my god....the bugs.