We Recommend

• SonicShadow316 - December 17, 2011 8:54 a.m.

I'm so happy with this!
  • PBC13 - December 17, 2011 8:52 a.m.

Yay! They quoted me!
  • Errrrbo - December 17, 2011 8:44 a.m.

So I see GamesRadar is continuing its proud tradition of overrating the hell out of Portal games. Maybe someday they'll realize having funny writing means a game has a good story. Funny how it wasn't even close to being the Reader's Choice.
  • Errrrbo - December 17, 2011 8:45 a.m.

Correction: having funny writing DOESN'T mean a game has a good story.
  • ScaryEric - December 17, 2011 9:15 a.m.

Have you played it? Lots of twists and turns and wraps up alot of shit.
  • Errrrbo - December 17, 2011 9:23 a.m.

I've beaten it. The writing was funny, but the story was shallow. I found it very predictable.
  • MeanwhileGuy - December 17, 2011 9:53 a.m.

Dig a little deeper, you'll find Portal 2's story is a lot more nuanced and has greater depth than most games of the last few years.
  • Errrrbo - December 17, 2011 9:46 p.m.

Dig a little deeper? I beat the entire game. Try again.
  • Moondoggie1157 - December 17, 2011 8:51 a.m.

U mad bro?
  • D0CCON - December 17, 2011 12:32 p.m.

There is no such thing as overrating Portal games.
  • DecoyOctorok - December 17, 2011 6:21 p.m.

I agree to an extent. I'll never fully understand why GR worships Bioshock so much for example. Portal 2 was good but I can't honestly say that I'll be playing through it again. I just want a Half-Life 3 announcement.
  • MonocledYaoGuai - December 17, 2011 8:24 a.m.

I couldn't disagree more, but oh well, it's your award.
  • Imgema - December 17, 2011 7:42 a.m.

Portal 2 deserves every award only because its a game that doesn't try to be a movie. Its a pure gaming experience. It sucks you into its world without stupid cinematics and endless cutscenes that break the immersion of any game generally. And the fact that the main character doesn't talk or show any emotions means that you can easily relate your self with him/her and it doesn't feel like you controlling someone else but yourself instead. Its YOU who explores the depths of Aperature, not some emotional cliched videogame character. For all these reasons i love Halflife series as well. Even though i usually don't like linear games. Props to Valve for making games less mainstream and stupid.
  • ericthesmith - December 17, 2011 7:22 a.m.

I've already played through twice since April. I'm going to play it again in celebration. Portal 2 is a perfect game, and I fully support this decision. That being said, I'm really enjoying Arkham City. I think the story and gameplay and acting and graphics and... just about everything, really. But as far as an overall, "I'd recommend it to ANYONE" game, yeah, that's Portal. Also, for the sake of fairness, I played (and surprisingly really liked) a good 6-8 hours of Skyrim, even though I generally dislike the fantasy/RPG genres. After renting it, I'm seriously considering buying it, which I had no intention of doing. Can't say much for the other two. Love Zelda, wish I still had a Wii. And my computer is in no way capable of playing modern games, so maybe I'll check out Witcher if it comes to xbox. Captca: "reetsE her"? I hardly know her!
  • HankVenture - December 17, 2011 6:49 a.m.

I voted for Skyrim, but I completely agree with your choice of Portal 2
  • NightCrawler_358 - December 17, 2011 6:37 a.m.

Great choice GR! For me, Batman had the best nerd-service, Skyward Sword the best soundtrack and nostalgia, Skyrim the most hours, Uncharted 3 the most cinematic feel, but Portal 2 was amazing. I think everyone forgot just how amazing it was, what with the barrage of top-notch games that came out just recently. Portal may not have had the most replayability, but it's practically flawless, and it's the first game I'd whip out to brag to my friends.
  • Canvas_Of_Flesh - December 17, 2011 6:14 a.m.

Excellent choice. I agree with you on every point. Portal 2 is easily the best game of the year by miles.
  • HeavyTank - December 17, 2011 6:02 a.m.

Whaaaat?Oh come on. Portal 2 gets way more credit than it deserves. It's just a friggin puzzle game with a backstory. It does everything it's supposed to do right, no doubt about it, BUT would you ever consider a cooking sim with huge levels, shiny graphics, ambitious design and superb voice acting for Game of the Year, even if it was the most perfect cooking sim of all time? And yes, lenght IS an issue, especially when you consider the cost. In my eyes this is simply not a full game, multiplayer or not. Portal 2 was very enjoyable, but the other games on the list were epic, in the real sense of the word, not the "omg epeeeec" sense. Plus, you can't just blame Skyrim for having bugs, that's just weak. Of course it has bugs, it's twenty times the size of Portal 2 and it is, you know, open-ended (Portal 2, on the other hand, is quite linear, so getting anything wrong there is really hard), any game has bugs when it has that much content (and, worth noting, I didn't come across ANY problems with it in 150+ hours). Glorified puzzle game < Huge epic RPG Honestly, I'm not being a fanboy here, any other game on the list would've been fine by me, but this choice seemed to be a little biased to me.
  • Canvas_Of_Flesh - December 17, 2011 6:19 a.m.

Absolutely wonderful puzzle game > broken mess RPG Works both ways. I'm not sure how you can call a choice biased when they clearly and rationally explained how they came to that choice. And, yes, you can blame a game for having bugs. It's a product that the devs and publishers expect you to pay money for. It it's rendered unplayable or significantly frustrating to a large group of people then it's all too acceptable to withhold recognition. It's simply not acceptable to release games in that state, no matter how large they are.
  • Moondoggie1157 - December 17, 2011 8:57 a.m.

Yea, what they ^ said.