We Recommend

• EwoksTasteLikeChicken - August 4, 2011 2:39 p.m.

@Dafiddy MW2 multiplayer is broken. That is what really got me to start hating the CoD franchise. You couldn't find a match without half the players modding. These aren't the good kind of mods either, but I'm sure anyone who played mw2 on the 360 knows what I'm talking about. Anyway, the people who play CoD are like sheep. All the preps at my school say that Black Ops is their favorite game ever, and walking down the street one day, I passed a bunch of little kids that were talking about how cool mw3 is going to be. These are the same people that were playing Halo 2 and 3 a few years ago. Sure there are hardcore gamers playing cod. I myself find the single player fun, even the co-op modes the games have. I just hate the multiplayer of the game, which I feel is probaly what most other people, when they say they hate cod, probaly hate on too.
  • kassmageant - August 4, 2011 2:42 p.m.

@ CoryRX8 Vanquish it's amazing, while it lasts - it's a shame it doesn't last too long! and with cod, at least you have guarantee that you will get bang for your buck, cause there are always people playing it online. and when you beaten vanquish or shadows of the damned - what reason you have to go back? it seems that editors in their praise of niche titles like SotD often forget that people who read their stuff don't play dozens of games per month - they usually have to choice only few, and they want to feel the moniez were weel spend. sure, insane marketing of CoD series helps, but gamer know that CoD = lots of gameplay hours online.
  • snipes101 - August 4, 2011 3:06 p.m.

Well I'm part of those numbers because the games are good. It's hard to argue otherwise statistically. Though when it comes to personal taste, it's pretty easy. Buying something everyone else buys does not make you a sheep either. I buy games like El Shaddai right along side of COD.
  • snipes101 - August 4, 2011 3:10 p.m.

I find it ironic that when games like Oblivion, Infamous or Mass Effect sell really well that no one gets called a sheep but since it's COD and Activision is such an internet boogeyman, you are a sheep if you buy their games. That's so backwards.
  • Bamford38 - August 4, 2011 3:33 p.m.

It seems people are getting a bit worked up over me saying people who buy cod are sheep. Im not having a go at people who play cod, everyones entitled to play what they like. All i meant was that its basically the same game every year, and people buy it blindly because it has "call of duty" written on it. Everyone says how amazing cod 4 is and how crap black ops is, and yet they still play it, why not just keep playing cod 4? (im speaking in generals here). It was the same problem with guitar hero. They killed it by releasing a slightly altered version of it every year. Tony Hawk was the same. Im not saying cod is a terrible game, the core mechanics are some of the best youre going to find in the FPS genre. But activision have a history of destroying franchises and its only a matter of time before they do it with cod, which is a shame. In an ideal world activision would give cod a year or 2 off to hone the gameplay and maybe take a few chances to shake it up and possibly create something great. But that wouldnt make them their yearly income. So instead we're going to end up with modern warfare 2.5.
  • mothbanquet - August 4, 2011 3:54 p.m.

@Bamford38 - You raise a valid point. I, personally, won't be buying MW3 on release as MW2's freakishly whacko storyline didn't snyc up in the slightest with MW1's sobering, somewhat believeable affair. I prefer Battlefield for my multiplayer so the single player campaign is all CoD can offer. If Activision kill the franchise then so be it; another modern war series will show up soon enough - after all, isn't that what the original CoD did to Medal of Honor all those years ago?
  • wiitard07 - August 4, 2011 4:09 p.m.

You know that you guys did score MW2 higher than Shadows right?
  • ilomilo - August 4, 2011 4:46 p.m.

Wow videogames sure have gotten more "normal" in the past decade. Well its nice to see this but im sad to see Mario Bros lose their crown.
  • ThatGuyFromTV - August 4, 2011 4:57 p.m.

Well, fuck. No way Kotick is gonna give those figures up.
  • OmgBBQ - August 4, 2011 4:59 p.m.

Why do people have to be so gay? Black Ops doesn't deserve any recognition.
  • CommandantOreo - August 4, 2011 5:40 p.m.

Hey, people like CoD and so what? Who cares about games like Shadows of the Damned or whatever it is people talk about nowadays. Just because a game is good, doesn't mean it's fun. "Oh look at me, I bought a game that only 255 people bought, I have good tastes in games!"
  • lilspooky - August 4, 2011 5:57 p.m.

Just because something is popular doesn't mean its good. Look at Crack cocaine!
  • amtran - August 4, 2011 6:18 p.m.

One little problem with the stats - they assume that no one who bought Call of Duty MW2 also bought Black Ops. A fairer comparison to, say, the Finding Nemo example would be to have Finding Nemo and another DVD added up - at least that way the logic is consistent. As it stands there are around 20 some million unique consumers of these two games, you add them up and it's a lot more impressive, but that's just bad stats as you can assume a fair amount of cross-over between those who bought on game and those who bought both, I bet.
  • silencer10 - August 4, 2011 7:52 p.m.

I'm sorry, but it's not "the Ukraine". I am from Ukraine and that just bugs me. You would not say "the Germany" or "the Belgium". I am from Ukraine. I am from Germany. I am from Belgium. No one says I am from the France. The title should be - "Official: Last two Call of Duty games bigger than Finding Nemo, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Ukraine". Thank you.
  • nkoontz93 - August 4, 2011 8:27 p.m.

While that is a staggering amount sold,the figures are biased. Many of the people who bought MW2 also bought black ops, making those sales non-unique. If you apply the same technique to any of the items you say that Call of Duty outsells, you'll find that your figures are incorrect. For instance: pink floyd's "The Wall" averaged about 23 million sells, and "dark side of the moon" has been estimated between 50-100 million sales. The Ukraine's population would need to be counted twice for the year of 2009 (for MW2), and for 2010 (for black ops) for an accurate amount. As for the Beatles, Sergent Pepper... sold about 32 million and 1 sold about 30 million. Of course many people have both the wall and dark side of the moon, sargent pepper and 1, and so on; that's the point. Many CoD enthusiasts bought both, resulting a much smaller amount then your 47 million projected. You simply can't compare two things against one.
  • majormoses117 - August 4, 2011 8:40 p.m.

I don't get why everyone hates on Call of Duty. Its popular because its good, and I don't even play the multiplayer. Sure, it may seem unfair that a single COD entry can sell 25 million while other, more original games like Shadows of the Damned sell diddly but to not like something just because it is popular isn't right, and to slam the people who like popular things isn't right either. Eventually COD will run out of steam and we won't be getting a new entry every year but until then I will gladly give up 60 bucks to get back in the action. @Timtimhuthut: The gameplay IS balanced. What you're complaining about is that "people are too good at COD and the devs need to level the playing field". Its annoying to start off with shittier guns than everyone else and to not know all the nooks and crannies of every map, but to have a completely level playing field makes no sense. What would be the point of having different weapons? Different perks? The reason for getting new and better guns is so that you can kill more people. If everyone had different guns but with the same stats everyone would be even and there wouldn't be a point to playing, not just COD, but any multiplayer thats too "even".
  • Dman3981 - August 4, 2011 9:16 p.m.

"It sold 40 million copies. The last two Call of Duty games sold 47 million copies. This is a bigger number than 40 million, by roughly 7 million." Thank God you explained that for me, I didn't pass Grade 2 math.
  • UsernameLoser - August 4, 2011 10:21 p.m.

I pretty pissed a majority of gamers would buy the same exact bullshit instead of the timeless creativity of The Beatles.
  • UsernameLoser - August 4, 2011 10:23 p.m.

@majormoses117 People hate on CoD because every game is exactly like the last in terms of gameplay.
  • Gameguy94 - August 4, 2011 10:24 p.m.

FUCK! I bought MW2 new. =( Oh well atleast I bought Black Ops used and traded it in shortly after. I bought Vanquish new too if it helps. =(