Topics

Nintendo

• ysmar135 - February 6, 2011 8:12 p.m.

it looks pixelated because the pictures were stretched remember its a hand held and the screensize is a bit bigger than a normal dsi.
  • xxbrothawizxx - February 5, 2011 4:22 a.m.

This comparison is bullshit. Your telling me they couldn't put the 3DS screen in its native resolution. Of course it looks like crap, the pictures are blown up 3 times their size
  • spongeboy - February 2, 2011 2:33 p.m.

Here is some recent screenshots Of OoT 3d and they look amazing http://www.zeldauniverse.net/zelda-news/more-ocarina-3ds-pictures-surface-weve-got-them-right-here/
  • rakore - February 2, 2011 4:04 a.m.

Oi Totally agreeing with Japanaman. 3DS based on these screen shots fails overall to the N64. The Kokiri village seriously aint looking cool, and the supposed patch of grass off to the right there inst even distinguishable as one on the 3DS screenie. Link looks way less clear. very hazy. Maybe will look better viewed properly on the actual 3DS in 3d effect, *shrugs* bosses do have a bit of an upgrade which look nice but that about it. this of course is based solely on these screenshots, as such the N64 version is a win. Hold final judgment till see the actual product IRL.
  • Stalpph - February 1, 2011 6:54 a.m.

I totally agree with Japanman. The N64 screenshots look WAY better, look at all that pixelated crap on the 3DS screenshots, how could you possibly think the 3DS screenshots are better? There is no way I'm buying the 3DS if this is what it will look like. Long story short, I'm sticking with the PSP2.
  • GameManiac - February 1, 2011 3:04 a.m.

I've beaten the game, but I don't necessarily own it. OoT 3D is definitively one of my 3DS must-haves.
  • The_Tingler - January 31, 2011 4:07 p.m.

I think you should've waited a bit for this comparison. You've only got some poor, low-res screenshots to compare the two, which makes the N64 version look superior.
  • OneNightInParez - January 31, 2011 9:33 a.m.

I can see where japanaman is coming from in some areas, the new version looks to have lost some atmosphere with its brightness and sharpening but that could be misty eyed nostalgia. either way this is the game that's selling me a 3ds. even just thinking about it is making me want to go crazy!
  • DrillurSimpson - January 31, 2011 7:34 a.m.

It's nicely anti-aliased on N64. DS version is 0% AA-ed, but it's more detailed, and more vivid
  • bongzilla - January 31, 2011 7 a.m.

It hurts to know I'm going to be spending over 300 bucks for the 3DS and a game, probably this one.. I know I won't be able to stop myself!!
  • thefreakysurgeon - January 31, 2011 3:34 a.m.

holy shit Dodongo looks effin EPIC!
  • chiz - January 30, 2011 8:57 p.m.

I'm defiantly going to buy this
  • Craza - January 30, 2011 8:45 p.m.

To the people who are saying the 3DS images are way too pixelated, that's because they've been resized and the N64 had extreme anti-aliasing. It says right there in the text! Maybe read next time.... Anyways...As someone who has played through OOT dozens of times since she was a little girl, I'm kinda torn on how I feel about this upgrade. Granted it looks better, it has a lighter feel to it, but I've always loved the darker-looking/feeling Zelda's more (Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess). The toned-down and more pastel-like look in the N64 version match the feel of the game and story. The environments look great, and I actually prefer those to the N64 version, but it's Link that looks so out of place. He looks too cartoonish and bright against the darker, more sinister backgrounds and enemies. What I would really love to see is how the rest of the dungeons look (Particularly the Water Temple), and more of how adult Link looks. Then, I could really base a better opinion.
  • RideZeLitenin - January 30, 2011 8:34 p.m.

Yes, it is more easier to compare with the shrunken pics. Those 3DS pics in this article seemed awful compressed and pixelated, and this actually isn't the case. You can judge from youtube vids that OoT3DS is a lot more high res and clearer than this pics can do justice.
  • beandipdragon101 - January 30, 2011 7:11 p.m.

@ ACE-VAMP Isn't that what they were saying when the ds and the psp were first getting revealed?
  • Smeggs - January 30, 2011 6:17 p.m.

The shrunken pics are much better at showing the comparisons in graphics, you should've done those first. The 3DS remake looks really damned sexy. I do have one little tick, though. You ask if it justifies $40, but what you should be asking is if it justifies the nearly $300 to buy the game and the 3DS.
  • kachigop - January 30, 2011 4:57 p.m.

The images are made for different screens, so the comparison is a little unfair. The 3DS will look better because of the additions that were possible on a smaller screen. Can't wait to see it in 3D!
  • SamMufc95 - January 30, 2011 3:08 p.m.

this game deserves a Wii-make HAHAHAHAH
  • ThundaGawd - January 30, 2011 9:39 a.m.

It's going to look better on the 3DS itself, trust me. The 3DS screen is even smaller than the pictures you see, plus, the screenshots look pixelated because it's a still image, there's no animation going on so it's easier to spot the pixels. Once you get it running in a good 30 FPS (or more, I honestly have no idea at how smooth the animation will be) you won't really be able to see the pixels as much, if at all. Colors are more defined in the 3DS (some ppl might not like the somewhat "cartoony" feel it might give the game), The textures are better on the 3DS as well: The branch on the hut in Kokiri village, the cave textures in the Ghoma fight, the spider webs in the Deku Tree, the Skulltula itself, and just about everything in the Dodongo fight. Visual effects are better as well: the Mist in Kokiri Village, the Fog in Ghoma's lair, Navi's glow, and the fire in Dodongo's mouth My point is you can't base your opinions on screenshots and video on the interwebz, you have to actually see it firsthand on the 3DS to see the difference.
  • Ultima - January 30, 2011 3:56 a.m.

Even on the smaller screen shots the 3DS still looks more pixcelated and the colour palette is far better on the N64 shots. The textures are more detailed on the 3DS shots but its a really minimal improvement, if it's an improvement at all.