• SpiritTemple - November 12, 2012 5:05 a.m.

Heard about this earlier today, I'm actually a little bit disappointed in Nintendo for not making their own achievement/trophy system (They could have called theirs 'stars' or something), seems like a missed opportunity to me.
  • supermage65 - November 12, 2012 5:23 a.m.

I don't really mind, as Nintendo games in my opinion have never needed any sort of achievement/trophy system. I would like, however, to see them integrate it later in the Wii U's lifespan mainly for non-Nintendo developed games (I was looking forward to ZombiU achievements/trophies).
  • A000 - November 12, 2012 5:25 a.m.

I'm fine with that personally. My 360 gamerscore was pretty poor. Something like 20,000 out of a possible 200,000. Really paid no attention to it what so ever. I don't need constant reassurance from my games that I'm doing something right. If I'm having fun, that'll do. Sucks for the people that do want that though. And it does seem strange to learn there won't be a system like this in place considering how long ago we started hearing about "Accomplishments". I thought it was all but a given. Apparently not.
  • taokaka - November 12, 2012 5:47 a.m.

Well the wii u is completely screwed now, nobody will buy it because why would somebody play games other than for the satisfaction of letting other people know you play games. I love collecting/destroying/killing an obscene amount of hidden objects in games to get a bronze trophy which lets other people know I'm better than them. The wii u will flop and it will flop hard, just look at the sega saturn, atari jaguar, nokia ngage and virtual boy, none of them had achievements and they all failed because of it. But seriously, as much as I'd love to keep up the satirical post I'm going to stop before somebody takes it seriously and wrap up my comment with one word, meh!
  • KnowYourPokemon - November 12, 2012 5:48 a.m.

I never really cared for achievements. The only times I do like them is when accomplishing X achievement unlocks something like a special skin in-game, but achievements aren't needed for that in the first place.
  • A000 - November 12, 2012 6:22 a.m.

What games from the 90s are you playing that allow you to unlock extra skins in game? That kind of stuff is dlc now! /hates dlc
  • KnowYourPokemon - November 12, 2012 3:03 p.m.

Well off the top of my head you unlocked certain armour in Halo 3 by doing certain achievements. But the console itself didn't need the "achievements" per se to do that, it could just be designed within the game itself.
  • Desann - November 12, 2012 7:05 a.m.

I don't understand how people can say they don't like achievements. You guys are brushing it off like it's stupid to have optional goals in games that you can choose to go after and accomplish. I don't remember hearing people decrying the implementation of side quests in RPGs or gold medals in racing games. You're saying you don't ever need things like that in games because you don't get anything tangible as a reward? They're video games! You never do! But that doesn't stop you from playing them and having a good time. Beyond that, the thing that makes achievements and trophies special is that the systems are platform-level meta-games that you continue to play even when you move on to the next game. That's what we're not going to get on the Wii U. I'd be disappointed if I hadn't already learned to expect Nintendo to clumsily fumble around when they try to reach out to the core, because it always seems like they really have no idea what people like me want.
  • ultimatepunchrod - November 12, 2012 7:13 a.m.

I agree. I don't see how having it there is a bad thing. When is having more (completely optional) stuff a bad thing? That said, Nintendo could just add this in the future. The PS3 didn't launch with trophies, and now it has a good system on both PS3 and Vita.
  • Z-man427 - November 12, 2012 8:30 a.m.

It's achievement whoring that is annoying.
  • ParagonT - November 12, 2012 1:04 p.m.

That's just up to the player to decide if its worth doing.
  • ParagonT - November 12, 2012 1:09 p.m.

I'm glad there are a few here with words of reasoning. I agree. Achievements, although not very useful, are just another way to keep gamers occupied doing what they love with various tasks. Its just a mark of pride, and it's completely negligible if you so wish it to be. I don't understand why people want less when they don't agree with something instead of wanting more but it being optional. People confuse me.
  • Edias - November 12, 2012 8:08 a.m.

Achievements can be nice to have but they've never really been that important to me. Once in a while I'll push myself to try and get them, but usually they're far from my mind while I'm playing. If I'm looking for a challenge, I just play the higher(est) difficulty. I mean; it's not like anyone else really cares what I've managed to do in a video game anyway.
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - November 12, 2012 8:52 a.m.

Achievements are such a simple thing to implement that I find it really stupid that Nintendo is ignoring the concept. Sure, at the end of the day, they aren't that big of a deal, but some people do really like them. It can add some fun meta-gaming, and if you don't care about them they're completely ignorable. I don't even care about achievements that much, but I'm afraid this might be the first of many cases where Nintendo will think that they can/should just ignore modern gaming conventions.
  • ParagonT - November 12, 2012 1:09 p.m.

Another with words of reason. You are one of the few my friend.
  • xx_CaPTiiN_SpAiiN_zz - November 12, 2012 9:44 a.m.

what the actual fuck are they trying to acheive with this move. i care a LOT about my gamerscore on xbox live as it distinguishes me as a dedicated gamer who cares deeply about the games he plays not just some bored kid who picks up a game because he is lazy. good work turning me off the wii u again nintendo.
  • Highspeed123 - November 12, 2012 11:45 a.m.

I don't get why people want/need a gold star for doing things in games that are often mind numbing pointless tasks such as collecting every in game item etc. It's not a sign of being a good gamer but rather a shouting out of how much of your life you spend playing games. What do you get for it in reality? The best rewards come from games that set challenges to unlock content or bonus skills....those are achievements worth playing for. I play games because I enjoy playing them for the story or just to have fun, I have never started a game just to show off that I'm playing it. If people like doing this then good for you but there is no reason to get angry at Nintendo for not wanting to use Microsofts points system. I want useful in game rewards that make a difference to actual gameplay please.
  • haipayazoo - November 12, 2012 11:45 a.m.

I find it funny that people are complaining about no achievements when I think the opposite. I actually think that achievements would actually RUIN the Wii-U experience. I would absolutely hate it when playing the new Zelda or new Mario with an achievement system. It's rather foolish, IMO. Beating a new level or dungeon and all of a sudden an achievement pops out.
  • 7-D - November 12, 2012 11:57 a.m.

Hopefully it will help distinguish them even further from that unavoidable feeling of sameyness between the Xbox and Playstation. Saying that it could hurt them on multi-platform releases and swallow a bit of headway they're trying to gain with the added controller features as gamers do seem to enjoy trophies.
  • doominatorx6 - November 12, 2012 1:59 p.m.

More than likely, It`ll come later. PS3 games didn't have trophies out of the gate, that didn't really start happening till '08 I think (or maybe earlier, but it was common practice by 2008).