Topics

Best of GR

• ericthesmith - December 6, 2013 5:57 p.m.

No one's gonna say Mario Kart 8? Fine, I pick Mario Kart 8.
  • Enaid - December 30, 2013 3:38 p.m.

Thief Banished The Evil Within DARK SOULS: PREPARE TO DIE
  • otakudude303 - January 7, 2014 3:29 p.m.

Definitely looking forward to Witcher 3, and Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 2:24 p.m.

...Why is Guilty gear Xrd - Sign- Not in here? That game is a bona fide, full fletched sequel to a fighting game, featuring a completely new engine, (And pretty fantastic graphics, with 3D Models that impressively look just as good and detailed as 2D hand drawn sprites.) and characters. As opposed to both BlazBlue: ChronoPhantasma or Ultra Street Fighter IV, which both are more expansions of already existing games rather than proper sequels. Overall, i don't know if it's just that GG: Xrd -Sign- has just been terribly publicized, because it feels like most people just aren't aware of it. Which is a shame, because again, if there's one fighting game I'm excited for this year, it's that one. Seriously though, look at this and tell it doesn't look more new and exciting than BB:CP or USFIV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5pkaWp8Xso
  • Cyberninja - January 10, 2014 2:38 p.m.

I thought you of all people would know that Blazblue: Crono Phantasma is a brand new game and not an expansion. Seriously I tried it out already and when the game comes out here I will have to relearn my mains, since they overhauled the battle system again. Street Fighter is more of the same so I agree it will be better then that. But when it comes down to Arc games they both will be pretty amazing.
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 3:13 p.m.

I know BlazBlue games do make major overhauls between each one, and to be fair, the plot (if you care to follow) is always different. But I mean... You have a new one almost every year, adding 3-4 characters each time at most. Even with re-balancing and changes to the fighting system, you can't really claim it's a different game altogether. Xrd sign meanwhile, IS and furthermore it's the comeback of a franchise that lay dormant for an ENTIRE generation, and everything about it looks overhauled and new. The entire engine and graphics, the animations, the game will no doubt play differently, and I mean, this isn't the "Top 100 upcoming games we KNOW are gonna be good" This is "The most ANTICIPATED games of 2014" Meaning excitement and expectation! I don't doubt Crono Phantasma will be really good, but I have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting, Xrd Sign is a different Beast altogether.
  • universaltofu - January 10, 2014 3:13 p.m.

Credit is due for using 'new and exciting' in a non-sarcastic manner. I like that nothing seems to be lost in the transition here, the characters look great from all angles, though I don't see this being any better than blaz or street.
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 3:48 p.m.

On a technical level, Arc Systems fighting games are way more polished than Capcom ones. That also make them more complex, making them way less accesible than Capcom's. But both Guilty Gear and BlazBlue are pretty top notch fighting, and which one is better falls ultimately into the taste of the fighting game fanatic. personally, even though BlazBlue is a very great and varied series, it didn't have quite the personality and charm that GuiltyGear had. At least to me, GG's cast is more iconic, which is why I find it more exciting than BB. And again... Look at the next BlazBlue, looks cool... but it's visually the same thing that you've seen in the series since it started back in 2009. The new Guilty Gear IS trying something completely different and new visually, which is what gives it an edge, methinks.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 10, 2014 3:41 p.m.

Not bad. Those are 3D Models? Damn
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 3:52 p.m.

They are. pretty effing sweet, right? See why I'm upset this game's not on the list?
  • GR_LucasSullivan - January 10, 2014 4:33 p.m.

I SCREWED UP We'll add it to the list at some point, worry not
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 5:17 p.m.

Lol, no worries, i can wait ^^ I AM very glad that calling to you guy's attention did help. Means you guys probably weren't aware of the game at the time, or the idea of it hadn't stuck yet XD Mostly, I'm just glad it's just that, and not that you guys were fully aware of the game, but didn't think it was good enough to deserve a spot on the list XD
  • taokaka - January 10, 2014 5:41 p.m.

I was just about to kick up a fuss about GGXrd not being on the list but it seems you've already done a far better job of it than I would have. The trailers for Xrd have been so much more exciting and hype inducing than Blazblue's trailers that it makes me wonder how it avoided the list in the first place.
  • jacob-eddy - January 10, 2014 2:27 p.m.

Kinda find it bs that you included the next CoD but not whatever the next Assassins Creed will be, I imagined that would be pretty high up on the list
  • bebl09 - January 12, 2014 5:22 p.m.

Simply the fact that the next CoD is on this list, especially somehow above Uncharted, is a joke.
  • Jackonomics2.0 - January 10, 2014 2:34 p.m.

Ports, indies, current gen, more ports, jesus, there's like %5 of actual next gen exclusive games, equal to the fucking Wii U even, if not, less, fucking announce games damn it. I'm guessing you'll be moving games around when they release and announce, cause otherwise there's a bunch of then too damn high just because we don't know info, which is fitting frankly.
  • jacob-eddy - January 10, 2014 2:37 p.m.

Especially Alien: Isolation. I am trying hard not to buy into it because I'm afraid of is going to be another Colonial Marines
  • BladedFalcon - January 10, 2014 3:49 p.m.

They will, they updated last year's list every 2-3 months during the year. Doubt it'll be any different this time.
  • universaltofu - January 10, 2014 2:35 p.m.

So much want, down for pretty much all of these.
  • Bansheebot - January 10, 2014 3:14 p.m.

Wait, is that wolfenstien image flipped, or is there actually going to be a left-handed character in a fps?