• Crypto140 - July 5, 2012 1:08 p.m.

I think this trailer shows the desperation of the normal citizens during the war, not so much Britian is evil. But it is true that there hasn't been anything showing the netrality that Ubisoft promised.
  • Tyrlanae - July 5, 2012 12:51 p.m.

I'm really curious to see the other side of this. So far the entire add campaign has been American biased and vilifying to the British, even though Ubisoft said Connor would be neutral and the Templars would be on both sides of the fight. I'm not going to go on the "OMG JINGOIST!" tirade, but I do wish the advertising wasn't so one sided, and I'm from the USA. Honestly, I learned about the war in school, from our perspective. I'm more interested to see the British perspective that we weren't taught, and to see the game take a more neutral stance like previous AC titles. Because war is ugly, and people are dying on both sides regardless of allegiance - and I bet a lot of the British soldiers were throwing away their youth just the same. Game looks bloody amazing either way, guess all of the questions will be answered when we finally get our hands on it in October! I can't wait!
  • TheCakeIsaPie - July 5, 2012 1 p.m.

I think that this trailer is America-centric because of its close proximity to Independence Day. Still, I agree with you on that.
  • Zeapron - July 5, 2012 3:02 p.m.

Maybe the add-campaign is being America-centric to make it seem that Colonials were the through and through good guys, and possibly through the first half of the game, only to end up with some big plot twist, which turns everything upside down.
  • Meleedragon27 - July 5, 2012 8:46 p.m.

Given how the AC games have handled historical events of the past, I think it's safe to say that the super-patriotic vibes these AC3 trailers have been giving off is just a ploy from the marketing department: The U.S. is a big market, and the game obviously has a lot of stuff that panders to that crowd, so pander to them and make them think it's some super-patriotic game (even if it isn't) in order to boost sales and revenue. Because of this, it's unlikely Ubisoft's marketing department is going to do much, if anything, to cater to the Brits; the American Revolution wasn't even very popular in the UK and Europe as a whole doesn't seem too big on national pride (I hear most buildings and houses don't even have their country's flag flapping about somewhere on them), so you can't really cater to them like you would with us Americans. As someone who can see through the marketing ploy, just remember that as AC fans, we currently have no reason to believe the developers would stoop to the level that Ubi's marketing team is implying.
  • KidKatana - July 6, 2012 1:31 a.m.

Totally agree, I think it's far more likely to be a marketing ploy to get more US pre-orders. At least I hope so, being British. I'd like an even-handed story too. I'm curious about your comment about flags. It's true that most buildings in Europe don't display their nation's flag, but your inference is that most buildings/houses in America do. Can that really be true?
  • daniel-scott - July 6, 2012 5:02 a.m.

Yes its true. I raise/lower the flag at my house every day and most homes on my block also have the flag of the country where the family originates from, but the US flag is flown higher then that one.
  • Tyrlanae - July 6, 2012 10:38 a.m.

In my experience it depends on where you live in the US and your background growing up. No one in my neighborhood, then or now, hangs a flag anywhere. I'm not going to put a target on myself by trying to classify what areas of the country do or don't more often, but it is a sectional thing - it happens in some areas and not others. It's... odd, though I don't agree with the statement that the "Europeans don't have national pride because they don't hang their flag", I don't think you need a flag to have pride in your nation. I also agree that the marketing campaign is largely pro-American because we're a large sales market. However, like Mr. Groen hints at, the marketing has to be making the UK market feel a little awkward, or at least is creating awkwardness between the two. I don't, personally, see the harm in marketing both sides, but some of the more... "patriotic" Americans might react badly to seeing it from the British perspective, sadly.
  • Meleedragon27 - July 6, 2012 2:34 p.m.

I think I worded my comment wrong about Europe not being big on national pride. I didn't mean they didn't have national pride at all (and you're right in that you don't need a flag to show patriotism) and I'd be lying if I said I never came across any patriotic Europeans (most of whom were British, curiously enough). I meant it more as a cultural thing; the Europeans don't seem to be as... vocal... about their love of their homeland as Americans are. Yeah, there's obviously the patriots and nationalists out there, but that behavior doesn't seem to be as ingrained into their culture like it is here in the States.
  • Meleedragon27 - July 6, 2012 2:22 p.m.

Tyrlanae said it best - it largely depends on what part of the US you're in, but it's a common sight for the most part. Where I live, it seems to be largely half-and-half; not every house has a flag waving about, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a street that doesn't have at least one flag hanging from somebody's house.