Topics

ClassicRadar

• Technodude - January 20, 2013 2:31 a.m.

I've always been a bit of a spelling and grammar freak, so this article was right up my street. I have a friend who always pronounces Deus Ex "Dooze Ex" and that always got on my nerves. And the rest of my friends say "Juice Ex". I was the only one who said it as "Dayus Ex". I mean its not even that hard to figure out anyway, and I shall now proceed to rub it in my friends' faces for having it right all along :) In all honesty though, I admit to pronouncing Pokémon wrong for my entire life. I remember the guy on the theme song pronouncing it "pokaymon" but I always thought that was down to his American accent. I'd never thought to recognise the accented "é" even though that's something I always slate people for when they spell Beyoncé wrong :')
  • CreepersOnSpeed - January 11, 2013 6:18 p.m.

The accented 'é' should make it damn easy! Damn English people.
  • Groocifer - December 27, 2012 9:33 a.m.

The trouble is when you've completed extensive research to figure out how to properly pronounce a game's name, then go into a shop to buy it and the assistant looks at you blankly until you repeat the name of the game with the wrong pronunciation after all...
  • LEGOMatrix - December 27, 2012 4:31 a.m.

I object to the pronunciation of "Ico". If they wanted people to use the Japanese pronunciation they should have spelled it "Iko". As it stands, it is a shortened "Icon" and will always remain so in my mind. I pronounce Ys to rhyme with "geese" and always will. The "Iris" in Atelier Iris should be pronounced "irris" if you also want to use French pronunciation on the Atelier bit. PoPoLoCrois: the katakana tells you how to pronounce it! "Popolo kroyce" That said, I'm of the opinion that if the game's English title features a foreign word, then it is up to the reader on how to pronounce it. Other country's speakers don't try to pronounce English words in an English way, they will universally pronounce it as they would one of their own, so why should we bother? Mutations like that are important to the evolution of language anyway, it's every word for itself!
  • Froyton - December 25, 2012 6:33 p.m.

I'm just happy to see Xexyz on a list for once, even if it's solely because of its title. I loved that game growing up and I'm happy to see that I got the pronunciation correct all these years.
  • RonnyLive19881 - December 25, 2012 12:48 p.m.

Ahh, I miss this side of Radar. Articles like this made me a fan of the site.
  • Mathead - December 25, 2012 8:53 a.m.

Sauerbraten
  • DBNS - December 25, 2012 4:09 a.m.

Great article. I'm guilty of mispronoucing more than a couple of these myself, though thankfully just in my head. I honestly thought ICO was just eye-see-oh.
  • zelta38 - December 25, 2012 1:48 a.m.

ROFL, this article is fantastic! Also, the Pokemon ones never get old!
  • gernboes - December 25, 2012 1:11 a.m.

You are actually wrong with Shenmue, but seeing your source, this shouldnt be a surprise... Quote from "Human Japanese": "Well, doubled vowels are fine and dandy, you say, but what about when totally different vowels sit next to each other in a word? What happens then? It's natural that you should ask such a question. After all, in English, mysterious things happen, as I've illustrated before. But there's no need to worry in Japanese. All you have to do is pronounce both vowels in the way they're always pronounced. For example, if you see the word kaeru, you simply say "ka-e-ru." The e does not exercise magical powers over the a as it would in English. This is most definitely not pronounced "kay-ru." Just read the vowels the way they're always read." so the u stays an u, and the e stays an e, they dont become oo together...
  • Dojan5 - December 25, 2012 3:33 a.m.

That's not entirely correct. More often than not you do not pronounce a う u if it's after an o お. E.g. 今日 (kyou), 以降 (ikou) or 豆腐 (toufu). Instead the o gets a bit longer, often changing pitch a bit. Run it through Google Translate and turn on the "speak text" function and you'll see how it sounds. Otherwise this webpage offers a nice demonstration on how the vowels are pronounced. http://japanese.about.com/library/blhiraganaaudio.htm There's a total of five vowels that are used in syllables. The only letters you'll see standing alone is a, i, u, e, o and n. You may hear contractions of other sounds though like shi and tsu. E.g. tatsunoko doesn't necessarily have to be pronounced ta-tsu-no-ko, you could simply say ta-ts-no-ko. Shenmue would be pronounced "she ng mu e"
  • samsneeze - December 25, 2012 6 a.m.

"Shenmue would be pronounced "she ng mu e"" I don't think so. Isn't Shenmue, going from what's listed on the box cover, "シェンムー" in Japanese? If so, then shouldn't it just be "Shin Moo" with out the extra "e" vowel at the end? Also, even if the extra "e" is accounted for, which I highly doubt, the word would still only have three syllables in it since "ン" or "n" is used to transform or finish (it's kind of hard to explain) the vowel sound in front of it. So all of the first bit would be "シェン" or "Shen" and the second bit would be "ムー" or Muu with the "ー" character making the vowel sound in "Mu" long.
  • RadgarLaser2 - December 24, 2012 10:04 p.m.

So you're basically saying almost every Japanese game?
  • Fuzunga - December 24, 2012 9:31 p.m.

I always pronounced Lumines, "Loo min-ees" for some reason. When you start up Tatsunoko vs Capcom, the first thing you hear is somebody correctly pronouncing the name of the game. Also, if you want to get technical, Deus is pronounced "day-use".
  • majorsuave - December 24, 2012 7:21 p.m.

I always thought it was meant to be "Douche X"
  • shawksta - December 24, 2012 5:40 p.m.

"The W2" How do you even pronounce that!?!?! XD Great article, I immediately got Tatsunoko right the first time for some reason, ah that game, the Okami Award winner of 2010, Capcom should make a sequel some day, and would be interesting if they decide to actually do franzeska Von karma.
  • profile0000 - December 24, 2012 5:38 p.m.

This was a great article. Thanks for the reminder.
  • slimjim441 - December 24, 2012 4:44 p.m.

we had a running joke at work when Deus Ex came out because everyone came in asking for Deuce Eeks, etc, so we took it to another level and started referring to it as Deuce Eeks: Uman Revolteon. It was a fun week.
  • Darkhawk - December 24, 2012 2:39 p.m.

A-tell-yay is more accurate for Atelier.