• CaptainSpatula - April 7, 2011 9:09 p.m.

glad to see this game gettin' some Gdar love. I've been with it since it was free and there wasn't any survival. I love how much it's grown and I'm glad you guys like it too.
  • Fady2Hotty - April 7, 2011 9:20 p.m.

when i first heard of his game, i was thinking who would play this POS. then i tried it out, and haven't stopped playing lol
  • GodofPS314 - April 7, 2011 9:23 p.m.

As much as I love this game, this article is really stupid and unnecessary. I find most tutorials on this game to be quite ridiculous as Helen Keller could figure it out. (:
  • Lolspamm0r - April 7, 2011 9:55 p.m.

Spiders don't set fire at day time. They just become passive
  • Limbo - April 7, 2011 9:56 p.m.

As of the 1.4 Beta update, the default inventory key is now E, so you might want to change that so as to not confuse anyone. All around a good guide, but another useful item for beginners is a bed. It allows you to skip through the night so you don't have to just sit there.
  • EnragedTortoise1 - April 7, 2011 9:59 p.m.

Might want to add wolves, beds, and such. Those would be confusing. Also, the optimal place for diamond mining. Between layers 11 and 16, that is. (layer 5 is the highest layer of bedrock).
  • GamerTagsSuck - April 7, 2011 10:16 p.m.

You mentioned that torches will become temporary, but only newly made ones. All pre-existing torches will be converted to lanterns, which are permanent, when the update comes.
  • killorabbit - April 7, 2011 10:18 p.m.

I'd read GamesRadar first after waking from a coma. Promise <3
  • GamerTagsSuck - April 7, 2011 10:22 p.m.

Also, the bedrock isn't indestructible. It is possible to destroy it using massive amounts of TNT, which will proceed to crash the game.
  • Evil_AppleJuice - April 7, 2011 10:56 p.m.

This officially makes me want to get minecraft for sure. Thanks GR, I have found my time waster till LA Noire!!!
  • thelonelywizards - April 7, 2011 10:57 p.m.

About time GR got on the Minecraft bandwagon. If you want a more in depth look at the first day in Minecraft, here's a first-person account in the style of a diary... http://thelonelywizards.com/2010/10/17/minecraft/
  • 8bitBaby - April 7, 2011 11:15 p.m.

*sigh* i wanna play it. i really do. but i'm afraid of losing SO much time to it.
  • Vitreosity - April 7, 2011 11:20 p.m.

Actually, Notch said that he's most likely dropped the idea of lanterns. Originally, the plan was to have torches burn out and need re-lighting from Flint+Steel, but in a series of tweets, he said that he just didn't like the idea that much any more.
  • Brutalicus - April 7, 2011 11:58 p.m.

You bastards, do you know what you've done? The lack of a beginner's guide was the only thing keeping this out of my veins. NooooOOOOoooOOOO
  • AlpineGuy - April 8, 2011 12:25 a.m.

Gurren Lagann reference FTW. This is a great beginner's guide. It makes me want to jump on the bandwagon just a little more, but I really can't afford to waste that much time!
  • JHONNYOHH - April 8, 2011 12:35 a.m.

"OH JESUS OH FUCK" That correctly describes how I feel when I see a creeper! haha great article guys, I was wondering when you'd get the chance to do this <3
  • FNG - April 8, 2011 1:53 a.m.

Page 2 paragraph 3: You do not get stone blocks from mining stone, you get cobblestone.
  • AlSwearengenHatesCocksuckers - April 8, 2011 1:55 a.m.

IMMIGRANT SONG TRIBUTE \m/
  • NightCrawler_358 - April 8, 2011 2:24 a.m.

Nice guide for beginners, when I started I also made a floating castle hours in the sky haha. I learned all my Minecraft knowledge from "the Yogscast" videos on Youtube, their channel is called "BlueXephos." I recommend their Multiplayer survival series-very funny. Sorry if that sounded like spam lol.
  • DamnHippy - April 8, 2011 3:41 a.m.

wow an Aldous Huxley reference AND a Led Zeppepelin reference; props, you deserve a medal