Nintendo has released a major Wii U update that improves system performance, introduces new features and paves the way for the launch of Virtual Console tomorrow. The headline feature is reduced loading times, while automatic downloads of system and software updates have also been enabled. Additionally, two USB storage devices can now be connected to the console to move or copy data.
Here’s a full rundown of the system update features:
Addition of Standby Functions Feature:
- This feature enables data for purchased software, system updates and software updates to be downloaded and installed automatically even after the console has been turned off.
- Controls using the Wii Remote, the Wii U Pro Controller, and the Classic Controller are now supported.
- The input screen for handwritten posts is now also displayed on the TV.
- The input screen for handwritten posts now features an undo/redo button.
- Controls using the Wii Remote and the Wii U Pro Controller are now supported.
- It is now possible to switch search engines when performing a keyword search.
- It is now possible to navigate to the start page from bookmarks.
- When purchasing downloadable software, any available updates for that software will be downloaded at the same time.
- It is now possible to reorder downloads.
- Newly purchased downloadable software will automatically install once the download completes.
- The "Viewing Distributed Videos" restriction has been changed to "Entertainment Excluding Games". A screen requiring parental consent will be displayed before the first use of any non-game software (including video-viewing software) or other new service.
- When the Wii U logo is displayed after turning on the console, holding down the B Button on the Wii U GamePad will open the Wii Menu directly. (If no default user has been selected on the console, the user-selection screen will be displayed, and a user must be selected.)
- Under Data Management, two USB storage devices can now be connected to move and/or copy data. You can move and/or copy data between the system memory and a USB storage device or between two USB storage devices. (Up to two USB storage devices can be connected when moving, copying or deleting data. In all other cases, only one USB storage device can be used at a time.)
- Under Data Management, you can now move, copy or delete data for a selection of software titles.
- The TV option now includes the option to adjust the screen size of the display on the TV. (This replaces the similar options previously available within Miiverse, Nintendo eShop, and the Internet Browser, which have now been removed.)
- The "Auto Power-Down" option has been renamed to "Power Settings", which now includes both the auto power-down setting and the new standby functions feature.
- Improvements have been made to system stability and convenience for greater user enjoyment.
- The time required to start the Wii U console, launch built-in applications, exit software and return to the main menu, jump between applications and jump between software and Miiverse has been reduced.