• zibbitz - December 14, 2014 7:09 a.m.

it is not castle oblivion that gets destroyed at the end of kh2 it's the castle in the world that never was witch we know is not castle oblivion because in the 358/2 days members organization 13 leave there base(the world that never was) to go to castle oblivion.
  • AshesOfTheWake - December 7, 2014 7:47 p.m.

Even after reading that I still have trouble grasping what exactly is happening. I did burst out laughing a couple times ("nefarious bastard class") so thank you for that!
  • Raikeron - December 6, 2014 5:01 a.m.

I really don't get what all the confusion is about. I never really found it that hard to follow Kingdom Hearts' story. Maybe it's just cuz I'm the guy who reads all the codex entries in games like Dragon Age, but it was always easy for me to follow the story. Sure, it had some weird and crazy plot twists, but I was never confused...
  • bellbabi - December 5, 2014 3:41 p.m.

I think you need to add some more information from Dream, Drop, Distance. That's the game that leads up to KH3, and there is a lot of confusing stuff in that game that should be added to this history guideline. I mean, there's the issue of "time travel" and the 13 Darknesses against 7 Lights stuff that probably all need to be pursued further in a review.
  • winner2 - December 4, 2014 7:19 p.m.

You know, I tried. I got about 2 sentences in.
  • BladedFalcon - December 4, 2014 9:01 a.m.

Y'know, I was 2 slides in when I realized that even in condensed form, KH's story is so devoid of any actual point or substance, that reading any further would still feel like a waste of time. See, my problem with the KH universe isn't at all that is complicated. I'm usually done with complicated, since that trends to translate into more interesting, meaningful and impactful stories... Except KH is neither of those things. It creates twists for the sake of creating twists, not because it's necessary to the story. Worse, it uses secrets and teases and mysteries in order to make itself sound more interesting than it really is. In short, KH's problem isn't that it's complicated, it's that it has no purpose to be such.
  • Vonter - December 5, 2014 9:08 a.m.

In short; Lost. Still I'll like if the Disney stuff was elevated from being just fan service, since nothing aside from Mickey is relevant to the story of Kingdom Hearts and from Final Fantasy, I'll admit it'll be interesting if the put closure to the Cloud and Sephiroth battle, I mean even if pointless that's at least a plot thread they have brought again and again. Anyway the next game promises some sort of "mother of all battles" and I hope it at least delivers in that.
  • BladedFalcon - December 5, 2014 10:38 a.m.

Yeah, that's the other thing that pisses me off about the franchise. It bills itself as this crossover between final fantasy and Disney. But in truth it's original characters mainly, with some cameos from Disney and FF. And the Disney characters hardly feel like they stay true to what it made them special in the first place. Donald isn't the incredibly easy to anger trouble maker we know from the cartoons. And mickey most certainly isn't like he originally was. At that point, they are essentially different characters that happen to look like mickey and Donald.
  • Vonter - December 5, 2014 12:02 p.m.

Well tbh Disney characters rarely have long legs in term of continuing their stories, in that sense it's like the Disney sequels, what goes after the happy end? If you're reusing the characters you have to put original content. This goes as well for the main cast, since for better or worse the story has some dark moments, so even if it's Mickey Mouse those things are gonna shape him in another way. Funny how this and Epic Mickey tried to make Mickey edgier. Makes me wonder if that'll ever happen to Mario. (although maybe Brawl and Partners in Time may count and he did die in Super Paper Mario....). I think it's just a matter of degrees.
  • BladedFalcon - December 5, 2014 2:17 p.m.

Putting original content and story is completely fine, as long as the characters still remain who they are at their core. I'm not against them using Disney characters in a different story, I'm against the fact that they don't act like said characters within that story. And like say, putting Mickey trough some hard times and have that shape him is understandable to a point... But when this turns him into this keyblade wielding badass, then he is not just shaped... he might as well be a different character altogether. And see, with those Mario examples, they still haven't really changed who mario is at the core. Even in Smash he still has a overall cheerful demeanor and his attacks and mannerisms are consisted with who he is.
  • ObliqueZombie - December 5, 2014 6:37 p.m.

Kingdom Hearts exists as an homage to fans of both Final Fantasy and Disney, and while it continues to become its own thing, that's still what it is at its core. People fantasize about the next inclusion daily. Also, not every story needs to be "impactful" and/or "meaningful." It's more like an adventure, where things happen to character we may or may not care about, not one about undertones of religion or love or whatever. It has those things, to be sure, but it's more of an interest to see how they tie Disney worlds together. And I for one like it.
  • BladedFalcon - December 5, 2014 8:28 p.m.

Except to me, it doesn't feel like a homage. Because even though it shows you those characters, and elements of those worlds, they don't really "feel" like them, at least not to me. But hey, if that works for you, I can respect that. And you're also right that not every story needs to be deep or impactful. My issue is that by making KH's story so contrived, it feels like they are trying to tell something more important than it really is. See, if the story was very simple or straightforward, I wouldn't be bothered by it nearly as much. I hope you can at least see where I'm coming from?
  • bobob101 - December 4, 2014 8:17 a.m.

There are bullshit plot lines, and then there is Kingdom Hearts. Even after reading this, playing 358/2 and 1, I have no clue what this is all about. And I never will.
  • shawksta - December 3, 2014 6:24 p.m.

You also forgot to mention that DDD retcons the Organization XIII as saying that the true purpose of their creation was so Xehanort has 13 clones to spawn out of. Except Maybe Axel given he's a nice guy now and the beginning of DDD was never explained how heck he and others went back to being Lea and their normal human selfs.
  • Cyberninja - December 3, 2014 6:55 p.m.

I believe when both a persons heartless and nobody are destroyed, they revert back to being a human.
  • shawksta - December 3, 2014 6:19 p.m.

You forgot to mention that based glorious Axel randomly out of nowhere summons a keyblade by complete accident. Sucks for Roxas man, he had a hard life. 358/2 days is freaking depressing.
  • shawksta - December 3, 2014 6:16 p.m.

I like how DDD gives you information of each game's story and important plot points for you. Its really conveniant so you dont have to play ALL of them, especially if their bad ones *cough* Re-Coded *cough*
  • Cyberninja - December 3, 2014 6:14 p.m.

You know I never have had any issues following the plot of the games, I can see issues if you skip content but otherwise I consider things simple and clean. But in any case I enjoyed your humorous take at retelling the story and realize how ridiculous it all seems both in and out of context. Also Keyblade War was explained in BbS not DDD
  • GR_AshleyReed - December 4, 2014 9:27 a.m.

Why thank you! Also, thanks for catching that. Corrected.
  • tuomotaivainen - December 4, 2014 3:55 p.m.

>Simple and clean I see what you did thar...