• garnsr - April 8, 2014 3:55 p.m.

My favorite part of this was, "And buckets." I just got a Vita, and I was really surprised by how many people near me around Honolulu pop up on Near. I don't think I've ever seen anyone else playing Vita, and I really didn't think anyone else had one. I don't remember seeing anyone but kids with any handhelds over the years, actually.
  • GamesRadarCollanderCooper - April 8, 2014 2:43 p.m.

Nintendo games are for babies, so you kind of should be ashamed of being a manchild
  • Trollkitten - April 8, 2014 4:59 p.m.

Is this how you always talk to your coworkers in the video game news industry? Because even if what you said is true, be careful. You might get fired and replaced with a baby.
  • GamesRadarCollanderCooper - April 8, 2014 5:37 p.m.

No baby can defeat me. I'm made of metal. Babies are just soft flesh with no motor or coordination skills
  • Trollkitten - April 9, 2014 5:34 a.m.

Motor and coordination skills aren't everything: strategy is important too. If you still think Nintendo games are for babies, then I'm betting you've never played competitive Pokemon.
  • shawksta - April 8, 2014 1:46 p.m.

Henry man up, im 20, around 250lbs and I aint embarrassed playing my 3DS in public. Obviously you shouldn't take it out on a situation you ought not to, but even then, casually sitting down, picking up your 3DS/Vita and playing it isn't shameful. Hell I get empty space between my classes and while im not with my buddies in the gaming longue room, I just choose a sitting spot and just play. Hell, im using my school computer lab right now on gaming sites and typing this.
  • theguyinthecloset - April 8, 2014 3:21 p.m.

Are you me?
  • Redeater - April 8, 2014 7:11 p.m.

I like your style. This problem won't go away if everyone is too ashamed to play their device in public.
  • RecessiveGeneSimmons - April 8, 2014 1:26 p.m.

If StreetPass is any indication, I don't think you're alone Henry. I take BART from Berkeley to San Francisco daily, and in transit I StreetPass with 5-10 people on average, but rarely do I see someone actually playing their 3DS. I strongly encourage that gamers whip out their handhelds in public, if only to leave an impression on the general public that gaming is perfectly normal. I have made friends while playing my 3DS in public just from a simple approach and a "hey, whatcha playing?" Recently, an employee of Humble Bundle saw me playing on BART and invited me to Humble Bundle's GDC party, where I met a ton of awesome developers and longtime favorite Ashly Burch! All because I wasn't shy about my love for Professor Layton. My point is that only good things can come from owning the things you like. If there are people that would bother judging you for doing something you like, they're not worth your thoughts.
  • bobob101 - April 8, 2014 1:24 p.m.

I would say that the bigger issue in all of this is that people who play things like Angry Birds or Candy Crush don't see themselves as gamers. Yes, they are playing VIDEO GAMES, but the line between console and mobile, or game and app is clearly drawn in the minds of the possibly fictional people who are judging you. It is because these people, who do outnumber folks like us greatly, think we are doing something strange, then we will naturally feel strange. Are we strange for playing Monster Hunter or Gravity rush on the train to work? Maybe, but we are definitely having fun.
  • kijib-kijin - April 8, 2014 1:22 p.m.

dat title Henry here's what you do: 1. All Seaweed diet 2. Become skinny noob 3. Add Protein 4. Start lifting 5. get huge 6. ??? 7. Profit
  • SleepawayChamp - April 8, 2014 1:01 p.m.

I used to worry about things like that, too. But anyone who wants to judge me for playing videogames or reading a stack of comic books in public probably sucks far more than I do and so I no longer care.
  • J-Fid - April 8, 2014 12:53 p.m.

I'm 21, and I sometimes feel like this too (especially since no one in my family thinks I should be playing Pokemon), so you're far from alone on this. But as most here are saying, you can't let the perceived opinions of others affect how you live your life. Especially if they are total strangers. I mean, WHO CARES what some random dude, who has no impact on your life and you'll never see him again, thinks about you. Honestly, if someone glares at you like you're crazy, just glare back. Make them think like you're saying "I don't have a problem but YOU sure do if you care this much." But in all seriousness, this is something that you have to handle in a way you are most comfortable with, and is just a small part of being truly comfortable with yourself. Hope this helps.
  • sinkheadhxc - April 8, 2014 12:49 p.m.

my hobbies are powerlifting and gaming. i work in engineering in an office surrounded by salespersons and what not. all of these people r fat or preach the most idiotic health "facts" ever, as well as think the only real exercises that exist are running and yoga when they remember it exists cuz Dr OZ i'm one of the younger people here, but one of the only ones not married, and the ONLY one into gaming. i'm stuck cuz i can't talk about dieting or fitness because, for some reason, this is a subject everyne gets offended by when corrected or when given advice, even thouh they need it. i also can't talk about gaming since the closest thing to a gamer here is a kid who plays Ghosts with his old "college budz... and w're good!" i get ridiculed for being so quiet, and people definitely have developed misunderstandings of me due to me not being able to express myself, having nothing in common with anyone, and my hobbies being controversial. hey man, at least you work with your hobby. my job only takes time away from it. so here i am, leaving comments and trolling comment sections... on video game sites while at work lol.
  • winner2 - April 8, 2014 6:10 p.m.

I think we might have 2 pieces of the same soul or something, I feel your pain right down to the fitness and quiet-misunderstood thing. It pisses me off hearing people talk like they know fitness and the only thing they know is whatever pops up in middle america middle aged housewife magazines on how to lose those love handles, and I can't tell them ANYTHING because I'll immediately get judged as "obsessive"
  • Trollkitten - April 9, 2014 5:36 a.m.

I can't believe anyone would mock a powerlifter to their face...
  • profile0000 - April 8, 2014 12:29 p.m.

I can relate, Henry. I still can't get myself to pull out my Vita or 3DS in public without feeling like I'll be judged by others. It's kind of funny how I've become a bit paranoid about it. For instance, I attend one of the most liberal schools in the Midwest, and yet I still feel like I'll be ostracized for playing games on the bus. I know that literally makes no sense: that I'm worried about videogames in public while other students hold rallies/events for gender equality and social justice less than a hundred feet away, but I just can't shake that feeling, you know? I'm sure that it's somewhat similar for you in the Bay Area. It's a very socially progressive place, and yet playing Fire Emblem on a bus still feels kind of inappropriate if you're an adult.
  • brickman409 - April 8, 2014 12:29 p.m.

I've seen quite a few people play a game-boy color out in public, not 15 years ago, but just recently over the past few months. It must be some kind of hipster thing.
  • winner2 - April 8, 2014 12:02 p.m.

I played the fuck out of FE:A while I waited for a class in the library at school. Fuck em' Henry, fuck em' all. And don't let anything or anyone stop you from doing what it takes to enjoy exercise, do what you want to do.
  • nick-stancato - April 8, 2014 12:01 p.m.

I get what you mean, but all I can say is 'who cares?'. I use my Vita constantly in public and on planes and such and I simply dont care if other people are judging me. Im having fun and enjoying myself while they play crappy phone games