We Recommend

• Spartan523 - January 23, 2009 8:20 p.m.

Ok now horace what "innovative features" blu-ray? internal hard drive? Has there been a game that has taken good advantage of those? Does the PS3 have any good exclusives left? i dont mean killzone or resistance i said good exclusives. hows PS3's xbox live whoops i mean playstation online. how's play station home? You accuse microsoft of "They use their bottomless marketing dollars to attract attention to their low quality "ME TOO" version of a popular product and leverage a few whizbang features to build an audience." That basically describes playstation online. The motion controls (crap by the way) you accuse microsoft of a "ME TOO" attitude the PS3 reeks of one. Not only the PS3 though, name an industry that Sony isn't involved in. TV's, Speakers, MP3, go ahead try i doubt you will succeed.
  • Slapdog - January 19, 2009 6:50 p.m.

Again HoraceQS, Microsoft can't destroy the gaming market, no matter how destructive they've been before. Also, "your words are empty and meaningless until you fill them with citations." Cite your sources. Example: "And what has Microsoft done with their huge market share? Stagnate, beat down the opposition with marketing and questionably legal tactics. Do you really think they will be different here?" source? As far as OSs go, they got there early and they now have a larger install base. If they had tried to start up in the last 10 years things would be different. Yes, they play business hardball. So does Sony. Ever hear of the HD DVD? Case in point.
  • TheElusiveMongoose - January 19, 2009 3:38 p.m.

Awesome article. All of these are so true, Wind Waker is one of my favorite Zeldas, The Killzone 2 target footage doesn't look impossible good, Obsessive preemptive fanboys are annoying as hell, nice points =P Current Location: Riding out the Nuclear Apocolypse in a fridge with Harrison Ford
  • HoraceQS - January 18, 2009 5:37 p.m.

"What exactly about the PS3 was innovative?(Blu-ray doesn't count as a PS3 innovation.)" I already listed the things that PS3 did that no other console did before. Those new things may not have swayed you, but you can't just dismiss them. Did XBox even have integrated HDMI in the beginning? "I just think so far Xbox beat Sony to the punch. " Yeah, all I'm saying is that Microsoft is ultimately a destructive force in most areas where it gains a significant market share and that I doubt they will suddenly break the mold in the video game industry.
  • idunno - January 18, 2009 4:27 a.m.

"The PS3 had a slow start because it's innovative features added to the cost of the system" What exactly about the PS3 was innovative?(Blu-ray doesn't count as a PS3 innovation.) Everything this console generation, aside from the Wii's motion controls, were really just iterations of last gen's stuff.
  • HoraceQS - January 17, 2009 6:50 a.m.

First of all, the XBox is not a good piece of hardware and it took a class action lawsuit to get Microsoft to recognize it and treat their customers with respect. Second, the game industry has never seen a company like Microsoft before. They could strangle this industry like they have the computer operating system market. Are there other OSs out there? Sure. Are some of them good? Definitely. Do any of them have a prayer of breaking out of a niche market? Nope. And what has Microsoft done with their huge market share? Stagnate, beat down the opposition with marketing and questionably legal tactics. Do you really think they will be different here? Let's hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Slapdog - January 16, 2009 7:41 p.m.

Did you forget about the little first titles in the Halo series? How about Gears of War? Forza? I'm no fanboy, but I'd say it was a myriad of things that made the xbox what it is today, not just one. Same goes for everything else. As for Sony competing with MS by adopting MS's strategies: I've yet to see Sony adopt someone else's strategies to compete (the sixaxis doesn't count as that isn't a strategy, it's a last minute gimmick). This is what I'm talking about. Sony hasn't been beaten. Neither has Micrsoft or Nintendo. There's competition, and that's good.
  • HoraceQS - January 16, 2009 7:13 p.m.

"However, they simply aren't big enough to "kill" Sony, and their involvement will only perpetuate competition leading to an overall better experience for the end-user: you." Sony is in bad shape right now, they will survive but will they continue to make their gaming division the priority it has been? Or will they compete with MS by adopting MS style strategies like "get it out fast and get it cheap quick" leading to RROD style mass hardware failures? Microsoft hasn't beaten the PS3 with quality. Third parties made the XBox what it is today.
  • zanthox - January 16, 2009 5:31 p.m.

@Jordo141 You beat me to it.
  • HoraceQS - January 16, 2009 4:40 p.m.

"everybody run screaming horace said microsoft is going to destroy the world ahhhh he was right my 360 is turning into a terminator" Do you have a rebuttal to my argument with an actual informed opinion?
  • noobeater - January 16, 2009 3:54 p.m.

it did annoy me at first the cel shaded zelda but it did not matter coz twilight princess was even better then all the previous zeldas anyway and those who said they would never get a capcom game again if it was ported should be rounded up and shot...who cares what they think good article GR!
  • HoraceQS - January 16, 2009 5:01 a.m.

I know this will probably just be perceived as flame bait but I'm not going to bend to popular opinion. Microsoft entering and gaining significant market share in the world of console gaming is a step in the wrong direction. If Microsoft becomes the number one name in hardcore gaming for more then a generation you will regret it. They have a pattern. They use their bottomless marketing dollars to attract attention to their low quality "ME TOO" version of a popular product and leverage a few whizbang features to build an audience. Once they kill the competition, they stagnate and years down the line you have bloated, barely functional garbage. It happens in nearly every Microsoft product line. The PS3 had a slow start because it's innovative features added to the cost of the system and the complexity of development. They thought most people would stick to the PS2 until the price of the PS3 came down. At least they tried to do new things. Do you think Microsoft will be experimenting with new system architectures and pushing new types of media into the next few XBoxs? Or will we ultimately end up with XBox Vista? Microsoft's success in the games market will be destructive in the long term. It's just what they do. Also, there is a double standard when it comes to accepting exclusive content. "Exclusive content sure is stupid, it's great that all these franchises are multi-platform so I can play them on my wonderful XBox... LOOK AT ALL THESE COOL XBOX EXCLUSIVES!" Ugh.
  • GoldenMe - January 16, 2009 2:59 a.m.

I lawl'd at the games going Multi. Because of that, I get to play DMC4, RE5 and FFX13! Thanks Capcom and Square Enix!!!
  • Defguru7777 - January 16, 2009 2:58 a.m.

I can't believe the freaking Resistance controversy. People should learn to get over it. Wind Waker was my first Zelda game. It was great, and I loved Twilight Princess just as much. I'm ashamed to hear that 2008 didn't have a Zelda game.
  • Jordo141 - January 15, 2009 6:19 p.m.

I ment to put lol in after ^^^^^^^^^^
  • Jordo141 - January 15, 2009 6:19 p.m.

"It’s easy to look back and congratulate Microsoft for winning the industry over and becoming the hardcore console of choice."
  • Red - January 15, 2009 4:15 p.m.

34 Million Wii owners can be and are wrong. I love Nintendo with all my heart, but the Wii is just plain aweful.
  • AyJay - January 15, 2009 9:59 a.m.

to that i say 4th! but it was a good article though
  • John-117 - January 15, 2009 4:44 a.m.

I remember my Zelda loving friend was quite heart-broken over the inital reveal of Wind Waker, but like almost everyone it's now one of his favorite in the series. My wish for a powerhouse WiiHD may never come true but I can always dream of a Zelda in 1080p. Great article, let's hope 2009 will try and keep this stuff to a minimum.